Close All Tabs in Chrome ??

gerryp123

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
Just checked Chrome on my Nexus 7 (2013) and I found that I have dozens of open tabs. Not sure how I accumulated all of these but I'd like to close them without x-ing out each one individually. Could not find an option for this. Seems absurd. Is there an easy way to "close all tabs"?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I think bucketheadmn was referring to the Recent Apps list, and swiping the Chrome tab away from that list. This, by the way, doesn't necessarily close an app--it just removes it from the list. Some apps may actually close if you swipe it away, but not all.

I don't believe there's a way to close all tabs with one press or gesture on Chrome.

Posted via Android Central App

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I think bucketheadmn was referring to the Recent Apps list, and swiping the Chrome tab away from that list. This, by the way, doesn't necessarily close an app--it just removes it from the list. Some apps may actually close if you swipe it away, but not all.

From what I understand, swiping an app away in the switcher didn't used to close it, but in more recent versions of Android is does. That doesn't mean an app won't restart itself and/or its background processes.

nightowwl

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Chrome for Android does not have an exit button. Yep - you heard right. There is no way to close the browser with one click even though people have been asking for this feature since release. It's incredibly annoying - and I'm switching browsers as we speak.

daveddy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
Chrome for Android does not have an exit button. Yep - you heard right. There is no way to close the browser with one click even though people have been asking for this feature since release. It's incredibly annoying - and I'm switching browsers as we speak.

Xscope pro is an amazing browser, its made for high end devices

Dileas

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
For the longest time I thought I just didn't know how to use the app and would "figure it out later". I can close all Chrome tabs on my Nexus4 phone... and on my PC (just by closing the program). After looking around different forums I see that for some reason Google left this feature out of the Android tablet version and people have been asking for it for YEARS. Why on all the other versions and not the tablet version? Sad to have to delete Chrome from a Nexus7, but it leaves so many tabs open when I go back to Flipboard and/or other apps that when I finally realize why I am running slow, I have to close 40-50 tabs one at a time. I don't understand why they won't fix this. So now I need a new browser... Stupid to have to do on a Google machine. :/

**edit
Ok... can't delete it. Guess I need to just make another browser a default. *sigh*

Last edited:

bmoliver

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
For the longest time I thought I just didn't know how to use the app and would "figure it out later". I can close all Chrome tabs on my Nexus4 phone... and on my PC (just by closing the program). After looking around different forums I see that for some reason Google left this feature out of the Android tablet version and people have been asking for it for YEARS. Why on all the other versions and not the tablet version? Sad to have to delete Chrome from a Nexus7, but it leaves so many tabs open when I go back to Flipboard and/or other apps that when I finally realize why I am running slow, I have to close 40-50 tabs one at a time. I don't understand why they won't fix this. So now I need a new browser... Stupid to have to do on a Google machine. :/

**edit
Ok... can't delete it. Guess I need to just make another browser a default. *sigh*

Just did the same thing!

dacaplan

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
I've been really frustrated by this, I'm surprised more people aren't. When I open Chrome on my Nexus 7, it always seems like I've always got at least 20 to 30 tabs open and they can't be closed even if I try.

1eyedjack

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I recently got my 2013 Nexus 7 and really don't like how the tabs work in Chrome. PITA. Would imagine it fills the up the cache in short order?

What browser are you folks switching to?

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried tapping the x in the right corner of the tab(s) you want to close just like on your computer?

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Why don't you just tap the x in the right corner of the tabs you want to close, just as you would on your computer?

joe_fresh

Trusted Member
Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Why don't you just tap the x in the right corner of the tabs you want to close, just as you would on your computer?

Because when there a quite a few open it becomes a pain to do(I guess). It is easier to do when you turn the tablet into landscape mode.

Posted via Android Central App nexus 7

paridge

May 20, 2012
Visit site
Every time I finish using the browser, I tap the "x" at the top of the window(s) to close before backing out. Works!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12