just wondering, and curious on results, im gonna go do some searching for the apk
    11-13-2013 11:33 AM
    It works. You need to load the Launcher and Google Search from the Nexus 5. The keyboard bug is still there, haven't found a way to get rid of that, but everything else works perfectly.
    angry english likes this.
    11-13-2013 01:12 PM
    do you know where i can find Google search from the N5?, ive installed the apk for the launcher that seems to work great other than the pop up keyboard but cant find anything on the Google search
    11-13-2013 03:10 PM
    All of the APKs are in this thread: http://forums.androidcentral.com/goo...resources.html
    11-13-2013 03:46 PM
    I'm surprised how will thus actually works, and that keyboard popup is not an issue at all, thanks for pointing me in the right direction

Posted via Android Central App
    11-13-2013 03:56 PM
    It works. You need to load the Launcher and Google Search from the Nexus 5. The keyboard bug is still there, haven't found a way to get rid of that, but everything else works perfectly.
    Whats the keyboard bug? I will try installing the GEL apk if its not a major bug.
    11-13-2013 05:37 PM
    When you wake from sleep, or press home from an app the home screen will show the keyboard, its not an issue as you can lower it

11-13-2013 05:42 PM
    Saying "OK Google" from the home screen and than asking a question works fine. However, while at the results, saying "OK Google" again in order to ask another question is not detected. This is not an issue on my Nexus 5.
    11-13-2013 10:28 PM
    I did it, works great and looks pretty good imo. Could look graphically better. I want the wallpaper to be centered too :/
    11-13-2013 11:09 PM
    OK, I sideloaded the updated Google Search v3.1.8 and re-installed the GEL apk, and now everything appears to look and behave just like the Nexus 5

No keyboard bug
    App drawer icon is now the same as the N5
    "OK Google" hotword detection works on cards/search results page
    Google Search box is centered on home screen

It was such a hack before the Google Search update, I had to uninstall. Now, it's just as slick as the N5.
    11-14-2013 01:02 AM
    OK, I sideloaded the updated Google Search v3.1.8 and re-installed the GEL apk, and now everything appears to look and behave just like the Nexus 5

No keyboard bug
    App drawer icon is now the same as the N5
    "OK Google" hotword detection works on cards/search results page
    Google Search box is centered on home screen

It was such a hack before the Google Search update, I had to uninstall. Now, it's just as slick as the N5.
    Yup, same here zero issues at all now and runs like a champ, its all to fo with the new Google Search Update, it fixes a lot of things so Gel work as advertised
    11-14-2013 08:04 AM
    I'm brand new to Android. Just bought a Nexus 7 last week. I follow technology, though, so I'm not illiterate - however, what does all this mean about the GE launcher? This won't be part of the 4.4 updated? So we won't be getting the transparent bars? How about the swipe to the right to get Google Now to show up?

What, exactly, is going to come in the OTA 4.4 update for the N7? I'm not against sideloading, etc. but I was hoping that most of the features would be part of the OLA update.

Thanks in advance!
    11-14-2013 08:56 AM
    You can get the same look and feel of the new google launcher experience by downloading the latest Search and GLE apks:

QbKing77 | Your Tech Simplified
    11-14-2013 09:27 AM
    I'm brand new to Android. Just bought a Nexus 7 last week. I follow technology, though, so I'm not illiterate - however, what does all this mean about the GE launcher? This won't be part of the 4.4 updated? So we won't be getting the transparent bars? How about the swipe to the right to get Google Now to show up?

What, exactly, is going to come in the OTA 4.4 update for the N7? I'm not against sideloading, etc. but I was hoping that most of the features would be part of the OLA update.

Thanks in advance!
    The Google Experience Launcher is exclusive to the N5, with this not being in the 4.4 update on the N7 as you said it has no transparent bars, no transparent app draw, no swipe to the right to get Google now, also doesnt have some of the icons that you see on the N5, the only true way to do it is to go into your settings>security>device administration and check the box that says unknown sources, then download google search (this is the upadted one from yesterday) this will center things up and stop the annoying bugs that have been present so far with GEL on the N7 com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox-3.1.8.914827.arm.apk | by Android Police for Generic Device install it using a file explorer like ES File explorer, then download the launcher com.google.android.launcher-0.9.6.886092.apk | by Android Police for Generic Device and install it, this will give you the swiping Google now, transparent bars and everything rlse you see in the N5 Kitkat
    Tysonsaurus likes this.
    11-14-2013 09:33 AM
    The Google Experience Launcher is exclusive to the N5, with this not being in the 4.4 update on the N7 as you said it has no transparent bars, no transparent app draw, no swipe to the right to get Google now, also doesnt have some of the icons that you see on the N5, the only true way to do it is to go into your settings>security>device administration and check the box that says unknown sources, then download google search (this is the upadted one from yesterday) this will center things up and stop the annoying bugs that have been present so far with GEL on the N7 com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox-3.1.8.914827.arm.apk | by Android Police for Generic Device install it using a file explorer like ES File explorer, then download the launcher com.google.android.launcher-0.9.6.886092.apk | by Android Police for Generic Device and install it, this will give you the swiping Google now, transparent bars and everything rlse you see in the N5 Kitkat
    Thanks for the links! Installed them after I side loaded the kit Kat update and now feels like a whole new tablet.

11-14-2013 02:58 PM
    Thanks for the links! Installed them after I side loaded the kit Kat update and now feels like a whole new tablet.

I agree, i was about to RMA my N7 back to Asus but 4.4 has cured it, its amazing how fast this little N7 is now it works so well, i dunno if its me but then screen also seems brighter since the update also
    11-14-2013 03:21 PM
    You can get the same look and feel of the new google launcher experience by downloading the latest Search and GLE apks:

QbKing77 | Your Tech Simplified
    That's what I did. Looks great on the N7. I wasn't expecting to get it after hearing rumors it was Nexus 5 exclusive. I've been testing ART too but dalvik seems just as fast. I'll give it a week or two then switch back.
    11-14-2013 08:11 PM
    The navigation bar isn't transparent when I open apps..anyone else having this problem?

11-14-2013 10:34 PM
    The navigation bar isn't transparent when I open apps..anyone else having this problem?

You won't get the immersive transparency until the apps are updated. Google now and the Lock screen have it.
    11-15-2013 12:14 AM
    You won't get the immersive transparency until the apps are updated. Google now and the Lock screen have it.
    Ah, thanks for the info. Guess I'll stick with GMD GestureControl for now..although the latest update has rendered the custom gestures obsolete..-_-.
    11-15-2013 12:34 AM
    I sideloaded Kit Kat last night then Play prompted me to upgrade Hangouts and Search after I rebooted. The only thing left was to install the GEL. My Nexus 7 looks and feels great after rebuilding all of my screens except for the Google search bar that overlays my screens in landscape mode.
    11-15-2013 11:58 AM