It's been 2 days and it seems no one has received the OTA update.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Sideload is a good option if you're getting impatient, but the OTA started rolling slightly before Android's posts that it was rolling. My wife had the OTA before I even knew it was available. My 2013 N7 still hasn't gotten it.

douglerner

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
Sideload is a good option if you're getting impatient, but the OTA started rolling slightly before Android's posts that it was rolling. My wife had the OTA before I even knew it was available. My 2013 N7 still hasn't gotten it.

Two questions about sideloading KitKat:

1. Why is it called "sideload"?

2. Is there a way to do this with a Mac? All the instructions for sideloading I've read so far involve a Windows app as part of the process.

Thanks,

Doug@should just be patient

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

2. Is there a way to do this with a Mac? All the instructions for sideloading I've read so far involve a Windows app as part of the process.

Thanks,

1st one, not sure of the official reason, but it's basically because you're loading software to your device in a way other than the traditional download.

Yes, you can do it from a Mac with the SDK. Jerry explains the method here: How to manually update your Nexus tablet to KitKat [updated] | Android Central The process is almost identical except for the syntax on step 11.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
This is how I look at it:

"Download" goes from the cloud directly "down" to your device. "Upload" goes from your device "up" into the cloud.

"Sideload" means that you first downloaded the file to a target besides your device's main memory (like your computer, or your device's storage), then transferred it laterally (or "sideways") to your device to install manually.

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited:

douglerner

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
1st one, not sure of the official reason, but it's basically because you're loading software to your device in a way other than the traditional download.

Yes, you can do it from a Mac with the SDK. Jerry explains the method here: How to manually update your Nexus tablet to KitKat [updated] | Android Central The process is almost identical except for the syntax on step 11.

I might check that out. Any drawbacks in doing that as opposed to waiting for it to happen automatically?

Thanks,

Doug

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Not really. It's not easy peasy but if you're relatively tech savvy and know what that stuff means, there is a good process to follow.

XT1060. Through spacetime.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site

Thanks,

the only reason we call it sideload is because the adb command use keyword "sideload"

its a lot simple to do it on mac... i factory restored my N4 on mac yesterday and it only took 2 min to set up the fastboot and place the image on fastboot...

flashed took 5 min... doing it on windows is a pain in the but

1. download sdk manager for mac. extract it and go to [extracted folder]-->sdk-->platform-tools
2. place the ota file in platform-tools
3. open terminal on platform-tools
4. run the sideloading command on the terminal. thats it

well obviously u have to enable usb debugging from developer option

milliman

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
I couldn't wait any longer so I sideloaded it last night for that sweet Kit Kat goodness. After the process was complete, the Play Store prompted me to update Hangouts and Search. All I had left to do was to install the APK for GEL and I was set. The only problem that I see is that the search bar overlays the useable screen in landscape mode which is annoying.

Gauhar Mahmood Azeem

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
I'm sick of this screen in pakistan and m not going to do a a side load because I have my exams I'm too busy. I am waiting for the ota and it's not coming anytime soon what the hell.
vade9egu.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

pbc

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
If it makes you feel any better, it's the same screen I see in Toronto! :p

It is interesting that no one on this site has seen the OTA except for the one poster above who mentioned his wife got it. Odd.

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
Yup, I think the proper word is " frustrating". They should know updates like this is basically Christmas morning for adults that are into mobile. I feel like I'm 5 and my parents forgot Christmas...

Posted via Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463