N7 Dead - Flashing Light

BigFoot48

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
I turned off my N7 yesterday by closing the cover with the magnet stuff-off feature just as I have done many times, and this morning it won't turn on. Holding down the on button doesn't do anything. So I plug in the power cable (it had 75% charge yesterday) and now when I push the button and hold it for 3 seconds a white light above the plug flashes five times. Never seen this before. Usually when I plug it in the N7 shows up in my Win7 drive list - not today.

So, what's going on here and how to I fix it?

Google is our friend, I think. I found this explanation. As to why the battery drained to zero over night I have no idea.
"When the Nexus 7 (2013) is powered on and nothing happens it means it is completely dead. After it's been charged for a few minutes and the power is turned on, the white LED will blink 5 times. This means the Nexus 7 has power but not enough to power on. Leave it charged for a bit longer and it will have sufficient power to boot up."

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Your battery is dead. Leave it plugged in for awhile then turn it on.

I'm having similar issues where I use the magnetic cover, set it on the counter with a full or nearly-full charge, and it's dead in the morning. I need to figure out what's going on with it as closing the magnetic cover should turn it off, but just haven't had the chance to look at it. Wonder if it's waking up for some reason and draining the battery.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
This thread link may shed some light into what you're seein: Google Groups

Apparently, these Five Blinks of Death (FBoD) can be indicative of a super low battery mode. This may not be your issue at all but it is what I came across while quickly searching. Hopefully, some of our members can shed some more light onto the issue.

BigFoot48

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Yes, after having it plugged for ten minutes now the empty battery icon appears briefly after holding down the button for a few seconds. I've had the magnetic cover for about a month with no previous problems. Other people reporting this problem have not mentioned a mag cover so I'm not sure that is the cause. Will check to see what programs are running when I get it back on.

BigFoot48

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Just got it to boot up now 32 minutes later. Battery is at 5%. BTW I had it in Airport mode when I closed it yesterday. Looking in the Battery setting I see "Mediaserver" as the largest user of power (I assume that's what this indicates) at 44%, with Screen following at 22%, and Lorex Ping (the last thing I used last night - a camera viewing app) at 16% despite closing it when I was done. Remaining five items are all at 3%-5%. They add up to 102%. So I don't know if any of these are significant or not.

Aaron Grinnell

May 5, 2015
Visit site
wow, i thank you sir :) i have been staring at a N7 for a few days after i replaced the screen and i could only get the blinky light. i thought i had installed it wrong lol.