anyone has issue with power button for nexus 7 2013?

gameson

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I can't seem to power on the nexus 7 easily. is it a common issue? I think tomorrow I m going to exchange it, but now I have to turn it back on again to rewipe the system.

of course, battery is fully charged, it's not drained. :)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
What problem do you encounter? Does it just not respond when you press the Power button? Does it take longer than about 5 seconds before it powers up? Is it just awkward to press the button, considering that it's not on the very edge of the device?

gameson

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
it does not (or rarely) respond. it's strange. my nexus 10 does not have this issue. I want to get into recovery mode to get kitkat, but because of power button, I can't do it.
Code:

When it responds, it responds fast (5 sec), but when it doesn't, I press 1 min, it won't do nothing. I have to repress again. sometime I have to press 5-10 times to power it on just once.

But once the system boots up, power button acts OK. that's why it is strange because when it's on, pressing button or volume responds quickly

or, does it use a different combo (volume up down power)?

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
How old is your Nexus 7? You might want to look into getting a replacement under warranty. That shouldn't happen.

I wonder if the device is going into some kind of deep sleep mode, which is making it more difficult to wake up sometimes. I don't really have any evidence to back this up, but I recall seeing some threads here and there about deep sleep.

gameson

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
how old? just few hours. lol. manufacturing date is Sept 2013. I am going to go to the store tomorrow to exchange it with another one.

the thing is, when it first starts to setup, I press power, it turns on fast, then once it logged in, then power off, then it's hard to power on again.

EDIT: I just erase / wipe my nexus 7, then after wipe, turn on is super easy. I am not sure how I am going to prove it to the store to exchange with another unit.

Last edited:

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
how old? just few hours. lol. manufacturing date is Sept 2013. I am going to go to the store tomorrow to exchange it with another one.

the thing is, when it first starts to setup, I press power, it turns on fast, then once it logged in, then power off, then it's hard to power on again.

EDIT: I just erase / wipe my nexus 7, then after wipe, turn on is super easy. I am not sure how I am going to prove it to the store to exchange with another unit.

You mean you did a factory reset? That may have actually cleared out the problem, and the device may be fine now.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Be sure not to install any apps after the factory reset. Login to your Google account and see if the problem goes away. If it doesn't, then get it replaced or repaired under warranty as B. Diddy suggests.

gameson

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
after factory reset, when it prompts the setup page, turn it off, turn it back on, no issue. then after you go all the way in setup, then when it finishes setup, turn it off, now I can not turn it back on again on 1 press. I have to try multiple times to power on the nexus after setup.

on related note, I went to local store and try their demo unit and their demo does the same thing as well. since I do not factory reset the demo unit, I turn it off, then I can no longer turn it on. I called the demo people and he too can not turn it on. He thought the demo unit is broken, but of course it was not, because it was on when I played it, then I turned it off. it can not be turn on ever since.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
after factory reset, when it prompts the setup page, turn it off, turn it back on, no issue. then after you go all the way in setup, then when it finishes setup, turn it off, now I can not turn it back on again on 1 press. I have to try multiple times to power on the nexus after setup.

on related note, I went to local store and try their demo unit and their demo does the same thing as well. since I do not factory reset the demo unit, I turn it off, then I can no longer turn it on. I called the demo people and he too can not turn it on. He thought the demo unit is broken, but of course it was not, because it was on when I played it, then I turned it off. it can not be turn on ever since.

If it's being shut all the way down, it takes a LONG press (hold for 5-10 seconds until it shows something on the screen) to turn it on. A quick press will do nothing if it's been shut all the way down.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johndoe11