Cracked screen but I didn't drop or smash it, a warning!

kenyee

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
I described how my Nex7 display cracked simply by having the tablet in the pocket of baggy shorts.

?
Walk around w/ it like that and it gets bumped against your leg which is not a flat object and it'll try curving around your leg. You might be able to strengthen it w/ a case to reinforce it a bit, but that'll make it thicker...

travaz

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Mine is WiFi only so when I travel I put it in the middle of my backpack and make sure there is soft items on both side to keep it from moving. So far so good. I have broken a screen or two and it always seems to be the drop or strike that you would think would never harm the screen. I just had a friend of mine that tried to get his HTC one screen repaired and no one wanted to touch it. The reason is the way the phone is constructed. Very complicated to take apart, the point being not all screens are the same.

mm992233

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
man i just googled nexus 7 cracked screen and it looks like there is a manufacturing problem. I ordered a nexus but im thinking maybe i should cancel the order. I watched a cracked nexus screen video on youtube and so many users commented on how their screens had cracked. one person had a crack right out of the box! I bought a very expensive gaming laptop from asus a few years ago and it had some manufacturing defect issues and i swore i would never buy another asus.

this is crazy! :(

pfunnyjoy

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
No problem with my Nexus 7, it was in my bag when I tripped and fell on the concrete. I landed directly on top of the bag, that's 250 pounds of me that landed right on top of the Nexus 7! The tablet was in a Moko case in the bag and a month later is still working flawlessly.

I thought the screen had to be a goner after that, was so relieved that it was OK.

Sent from my Nook HD+

red5ive1

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
My daughter placed my 2012 N7 on the counter face down and it got a deep scratch on the bottom corner of the screen from a piece of sand. About two days later, I had it in my back jeans pocket because my hands were full, and when I bent down it cracked along the scratch line. Although I'm surprised it cracked, I certainly wouldn't call the device fragile.

This was all a blessing in disguise, because it gives me an excuse to pick up a 2013 N7.

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
That is utter BS. A 'screen' (almost always just the glass digitizer) costs $20-50 on the aftermarket for most devices. A small timer electronics shop will do a digitizer swap for no more than fifty bucks labor if they are honest. Or you can get the the plastic tools for five bucks and do it yourself with a haidryer and patience.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
no warranty repair,asus is charging me around 200 us dollars to fix it,my tablet is only 3 mo old
How did they justify not repairing it under warranty when it's only 3 months old?

It would be more cost effective to buy a new one and save the original for parts (for example, if your original is 32GB, just buy a 16GB and take the screen from it and put it on the original).

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
How did they justify not repairing it under warranty when it's only 3 months old?

I don't believe screen damage is covered under warranty. So it would not matter if it was one day old.

FWIW, I cracked an iPad 3 screen on day 2 and had to pay for the repair. I put it in my bag and something must have bumped it. I got a padded case for it after that incident .

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
THE GLASS TOUCH FACEPLATE AKA DIGITIZER

....is not the 'screen' at all. Hence my perturbation. So long as just the surface is cracked you can have a third party replace it for about $100 if they're even slightly honest. They're still making over fifty bucks labor for the job which is reasonable. If the SCREEN behind the plate is broken you suddenly have a very expensive repair, and if the outer frame is unmarked but the screen has failed it should qualify for a warranty repair due to factory defect.

Mike Kutsar

Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
My neighbor had the same exact thing happen exept he left it on the table and when he came back it had a crack on the screen. He said it didnt drop cause atleast on of the edges would have shown damage and even if by miracle it landed flat on the screen there would have been more than one crack on the screen, but he just had one almost strait line covering some of his screen and when he tries to tap on that smaller side it doesn't work. He's gonna try to fix it by getting a new screen.:-\

CoxyXJR

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
So a lot of people said the screen crack was my fault when I first posted about it occurring and how smug they were. I must have twisted it, dropped it, handled it incorrectly etc. and they'd never heard of it happening to any other N7. Well I believe that time has proved me right, why? Well the first screen was sent back to Asus for repair and was replaced under warranty, they don't repair things free unless there is a fault! The repaired unit was returned within a couple of weeks but alas with a small blemish on the screen. This was sent back once more to Asus who again replaced the screen under warranty. 9 months later and another crack has appeared on this replaced screen. I can hear the Nexus fan boys shouting - he's dropped it, mistreated it etc. - but no I have not. Being paranoid about the fragility of the N7 screen I immediately put a screen protector on it and a solid case covering the corners and screen. Not only that but when not in use I placed the N7 in a 'Pelican' tablet protective case! Used it one night left it on my bedside table and when I next used it there was a single crack running top to bottom of the screen. Asus only cover their repairs for a 3 month period so I'm left with an unusable device. Obviously a number of people will refuse to believe the above but I for one will not be purchasing further Asus products.

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
I believe you, but why is yours doing this with multiple screens while many others are fine? This is the question here. Could it be that yours has a malformed chassis or something causing the glass to not fit in correctly?

bseuivafom

Dec 9, 2014
Visit site
I actually do carry all my N7's unprotected. Some of them look like crap now and the screen behaviour has been ropey on most, but I've yet to have a screen break. A typical day might start with a Nexus I'm taking being thrown down the hall onto the fluffy floor mat beside the bags for example, so not exactly glass slipper use.

My guess is that there was point pressure on the screen you didn't realise, or that it was on (& still doing something) and a combination of heat and point pressure caused it to crack.

CoxyXJR

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I think it has to be a fault with the screen fitting into the shell. The Asus approved repair centre, (the unit is now under an extended John Lewis warranty), said accidental damage - tough. They want £205 to fix it!!!!! I can buy a new one cheaper, I won't though I'm never buying Asus again.

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
I think it has to be a fault with the screen fitting into the shell. The Asus approved repair centre, (the unit is now under an extended John Lewis warranty), said accidental damage - tough. They want £205 to fix it!!!!! I can buy a new one cheaper, I won't though I'm never buying Asus again.

As I suspected in post 34

Wilkegirl

May 3, 2016
Visit site
I was at the shooting range. Set my Nexus 5x to my left. Shot 50 rounds at the right of the table. Packed up. Picked up my phone and noticed it was fractured visibly at the bottom where you speak into the mesh. Then I realized the tiny line cracks that spread from there up. I had not dropped it. I only had it for two months!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz