Does a case make the WiFi weaker?

tonyr6

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Sorry I searched but can't find anything. I have a Nexus 7 (2013) in a Poetic case and I am wondering if the WiFi is weaker because of that. According to inSSIDer on my 5 Ghz network it shows -39 db to -45 db in the same room as the router not about 2 meters apart. Further down about 10 meters in a different room on the same floor it shows in the -70 db with only 1 to 2 bars on the WiFi signal strengths. Is this normal? Thanks.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
If you want to know if the case is making it weaker, why not do these tests, then pop it out of the case & do them again? I doubt it makes a big difference, but there's no reason to make assumptions when you can do a simple conclusive test.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
A case shouldn't really matter. I suppose if you're using a big metallic case, it might cause problems--at least, I've read of issues with cellular reception when people were using bling blingy metallic cases for their phones. It probably has more to do with the router (cheaper routers tend to have less range) and/or the router's positioning. If you're going to another room, maybe something in the walls is significantly degrading the signal.

I agree with YAYTech, just compare the signal with and without case.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams