any recent experience with GPS on new N7? - positive or negative

Rich215

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
The GPS should work well with the 4.4.2 update. I actually get a quicker lock now with KitKat. I can get a lock inside my house in about 10-30 seconds on average. I did not bother to reset the agps because it seems to work fine without doing that so far.

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I've got GPS test app. In fact the GPS never seemed to work, even at its best, unless I started GPS test first, and I don't know why. But how does that reset agps data, whatever that is? I also just downloaded another app Called GPS status, but I don't see that doing anything. Anyway GPS test is blank now - picking up no satellites - back to the way it used to be.

:(

Under settings in GPSTest, there is a selector at the top to clear AGPS data.

physioprof

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
The GPS should work well with the 4.4.2 update. I actually get a quicker lock now with KitKat. I can get a lock inside my house in about 10-30 seconds on average. I did not bother to reset the agps because it seems to work fine without doing that so far.

Same here. Much better with 4.4.2.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Same here. Much better with 4.4.2.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

It is also a function of how often you use the GPS. The more you use the GPS receiver, the faster it will be to "lock" on since the prediction of where satellites are in the constellation is better. Those satellites are moving in their orbits at over 2 miles/sec and the orbits are not always as predicted, so there is constantly errors creeping into the position estimate in all the time. The shorter the time between checking, the more likely you are the the satellite will be where your receiver expects it. The A-GPS download provides updated satellite position information which is why the devices "lock" faster after you do the update.

Jerry

George Stevens

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
"Same here. Much better with 4.4.2. "

GPS was working fine for me after the update too, and then it completely stopped working for a few days, and now it's working again - at least it was the last time I looked at it - maybe because I did a factory reset.