Was it worth it?

revjong

Mar 4, 2012
Visit site
I would like to hear feedback from those who went from a generation 1 Nexus 7 (2012) to a Gen 2 (2013)...

Was it worth the cost to you?

What were the most noticeable differences?

Thanks!

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Worth it to me:

• Faster, more responsive
  • More memory (upgraded from 16 to 32GB)
  • Better display - resolution & color
  • Better form factor - narrower, thinner fits my hand better

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Higher resolution screen and, in my case, touchscreen problems on 5 different gen 2's. Was it worth the cost? To me, at this point? No.

NoraMelua

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
Yep, it was worth the cost to me, but I luckily managed to sell my 1st gen Nexus for 110?/150$! :D

Most noticeable differences? A much nicer screen, better build quality, better speakers, slightly better runtime, tremendously better performance in Chrome and of course games. On the downside, I experienced some touchscreen bugs which were thankfully fixed in Android KitKat.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
It was worth it to me. I did have some very minor touchscreen issues, and issues with GPS, but it's all fixed now (on mine), and it's always been faster, smoother, lighter, and nicer to hold than my 2012.

horseflesh

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
It was worth it to me, principally for the nicer screen and rear-facing camera. Now that I have experienced wireless charging thanks to a $15 ebay purchase, I am loving that too.

If money is tight, I don't know that it is worth the upgrade. If you spend hours on the tablet every day or have a toy budget to burn, go for it.

YMMV.

General Tso

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Worth it to me. The price is low enough that it wasn't worth waiting any longer. Its noticeably faster. Screen is beautiful. For ~$200 bucks, I'll upgrade every year, especially when you figure you can sell your old one for $100.

Posted via Android Central App

ezas

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Worth it. Most of the reasons have been listed.

The stereo speakers are nice, and its nice to have the camera if I ever need it.

It was the Swype keyboard where I first noticed just how sharp the screen is.

Oh, yeah the 2013 uses the Glonas GPS satellite basically doubling the number of GPS satellites.

And it's scrolling Google Earth where I really noticed the improved performance.

But my 2012 was doing everything I needed it to. As to flash I guess I don't go to many sites that need it.

I'm glad I got it and there are a lot of people who want to get into tablets so its not hard to sell the 2012.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It was so worth it. The 2013 N7 just FLIES. Apps open in a flash, there's essentially zero lag, and app updates download and install really fast. Google Now pops up quickly like it was always intended to (not like the sluggish response you get with older phones and even the 2012 N7 to a degree).

Beyond Fire

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Best tablet I've owned so far. Ever since I've gotten my N7 my laptop has taken a back seat, so much so that I'm contemplating selling it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

revjong

Mar 4, 2012
Visit site
Thank you all for your answers:
8 Yes
1 No...
Walmart has them on sale for $199.
I guess a trip to Wally World is in order
:)

Blessings
RevJonG

richhoops

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
Absolutely worth it for me, it's the first device in a long time that I've upgraded and immediately saw it as a significant improvement rather than just something I wanted to do for kicks.

Battery life is just so much better, I can leave this one one stand by for a day and it's ready to go when I want to use it. The 2012 gen would be flat. The screen is lovely and it's so much faster than last years.

Most of all though it just feels so much better to hold. The build quality is great, it feels like a nicer product and it's slimmer and lighter. Really impressed and really pleased I made the switch.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Thank you all for your answers:
8 Yes
1 No...
Walmart has them on sale for $199.
I guess a trip to Wally World is in order
:)

Blessings
RevJonG

Keep in mind that most that spent $230/$270 will not be jumping to say they may have made an error in their decision to purchase.

G Pad 8.3

Mister Android123

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
I definitely would recommend upgrading to this years tablet. I thought the 2012 version was just ok and this version is actually good. For reference I thought the nexus 4 was good and the nexus 5 great. In terms of happiness...

Nexus 5 > Nexus 7 > Nexus 4 > Nexus 7 Old

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Add yet another resounding yes! I liked my original N7 a lot and I like my new N7 even more. I'd do them both again in a heartbeat.

Nexus 7 (2013)

heggood

May 20, 2011
Visit site
It was worth it to me, principally for the nicer screen and rear-facing camera. Now that I have experienced wireless charging thanks to a $15 ebay purchase, I am loving that too.

If money is tight, I don't know that it is worth the upgrade. If you spend hours on the tablet every day or have a toy budget to burn, go for it.

YMMV.

Could you point me to the $15 item you purchased?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hisoka_Ryuzaki