Got the KitKat update notification last night and disabled it - quick question

Rev2010

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
After reading all the problems with KitKat, and being perfectly happy with 4.3, I decided not to update. To disable the annoying permanent notifier I looked through my app manager and settled on Google Framework Services as the most likely thing running showing the update. So, I turned off notifications for it and bingo, that did the trick, no more notification about the update. Question is, will having that off only disable the system and app update notifications or are there other notifications it affects? I tested creating a calendar entry and the reminder still notified me which is important. I couldn't care less about knowing about App updates since I have that turned off as well on my S3 and manually check. Thanks in advance.

Rev.

roguetrader

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
I don't know the answer to your question, however I am grateful to you for answering a question I was about to ask. Like you, I'm not the slightest bit interested in 4.4 and was wondering how to get rid of the persistent notification.
Naturally, I'm now interested in the answer to your question, so will keep an eye out here.
Cheers!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

DS1331

May 25, 2013
Visit site
I don't know the answer to your question, however I am grateful to you for answering a question I was about to ask. Like you, I'm not the slightest bit interested in 4.4 and was wondering how to get rid of the persistent notification.
Naturally, I'm now interested in the answer to your question, so will keep an eye out here.
Cheers!

Me too I want to disable it! Try the xda forums if no one answers here they might know more

Q10, HTC One, Nexus 7, Moto X

Rev2010

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
I did some more googling and testing and so far everything I can find online says the Google Services Framework is for firmware and App updates. I tested some additional notifications and everything works fine with the Framework notifications turned off. So it seems if you don't care to get notifications of updates to apps in the Play Store you can go ahead and turn it off and just check the Play Store for updates manually.

cybernutte

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
I'm pretty new to Android devices, so please forgive this very basic question. I was under the impression that various updates would occur whether or not I turned off the notifications. Indeed, soon after I turn on wi-fi, I often get notified that a bunch of apps have just been updated. I didn't have to agree to anything. Am I wrong in thinking that the updating would have taken place whether or not I arranged to receive notifications?

Grabber5.0

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
I did some more googling and testing and so far everything I can find online says the Google Services Framework is for firmware and App updates. I tested some additional notifications and everything works fine with the Framework notifications turned off. So it seems if you don't care to get notifications of updates to apps in the Play Store you can go ahead and turn it off and just check the Play Store for updates manually.

That sounds like a good thing to me. :)

Rev2010

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
I'm pretty new to Android devices, so please forgive this very basic question. I was under the impression that various updates would occur whether or not I turned off the notifications. Indeed, soon after I turn on wi-fi, I often get notified that a bunch of apps have just been updated. I didn't have to agree to anything. Am I wrong in thinking that the updating would have taken place whether or not I arranged to receive notifications?

Go into the Play Store app, tap the menu then Settings, under there is an option to Auto Update Apps. I have that deselected because I don't want it to auto update them. I always read the latest reviews first to see what types of complaints there are before I manually update each app. Disabling the Services Framework notification simply stops telling you there are system and App updates.

Rev.

roguetrader

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site

Agreed. I don't like auto-updating apps anyway, so it's no great loss.

roguetrader

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site

In Google Play settings, you can choose to allow auto-update of apps, or not. You can also select whether these updates can be made when connected to wifi, or in addition your cellular connection.
In this instance we're talking about the firmware upgrade from Jelly Bean to Kit Kat which the op & myself decline to install for reasons personal to us.
The downside was the constant appearance of the download notification, which the op has find a solution to.
That's it, not very complicated. Is there anything else you would like to know?

technotrucker

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
I also turned off the notification. Talk to tier 2 at Verizon, was sent over to tier 2 at motorola. Unfortunately the app will push anyway. The issue now is, will a root patch come quickly enough for this update. From all I have read, it kills root, and SQ editor settings. Not sure how long it will take for the forced push of KK, but it is inevitable.

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I also turned off the notification. Talk to tier 2 at Verizon, was sent over to tier 2 at motorola. Unfortunately the app will push anyway. The issue now is, will a root patch come quickly enough for this update. From all I have read, it kills root, and SQ editor settings. Not sure how long it will take for the forced push of KK, but it is inevitable.

Verizon, Motorola is relative to Nexus 7 how?

tflash

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
There aren't any problems for me in KitKat.

Disables flash for Firefox (I use FF for adblocking, not speed).
On 1st gen N7 it removes the ability to roll back Maps updates to when Nav was separate and more usable offline.
(The 2nd gen N7 already had a newer version of Maps baked into the recovery partition even before it had kitkat, so that point is moot for the 2nd gen.)

tflash

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Go into the Play Store app, tap the menu then Settings, under there is an option to Auto Update Apps. I have that deselected because I don't want it to auto update them. I always read the latest reviews first to see what types of complaints there are before I manually update each app. Disabling the Services Framework notification simply stops telling you there are system and App updates.

I also like to read about new updates to see what they fixed or added. And sometimes they remove a feature I like.

Rev.

Alice Adams

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
I didn't really pay attention and downloaded/installed Kit Kat and it messed up phone. Verizon sent me a new one, and the Kit Kat has again downloaded, but I don't want to install and I don't want to see the message every 60 seconds. Updated: I have turned off the Samsung Push, but still getting the update request every 60 seconds, even if I go to the app and force stop it . . .

How did you disable and how do you disable the auto update? (Found the solution for this in the Google play store settings) Google has so much stuff on my phone I can't find anything!!

Thanks!

Last edited:

shortwave8669

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
I didn't really pay attention and downloaded/installed Kit Kat and it messed up phone. Verizon sent me a new one, and the Kit Kat has again downloaded, but I don't want to install and I don't want to see the message every 60 seconds. Updated: I have turned off the Samsung Push, but still getting the update request every 60 seconds, even if I go to the app and force stop it . . .

How did you disable and how do you disable the auto update? (Found the solution for this in the Google play store settings) Google has so much stuff on my phone I can't find anything!!

Thanks!
I wasn't smart enough to find a permanent solution to stop the KitKat update notification.
But I've been able to limit it to one notification a day.

When the update notification pops up I cancel it. The next screen wants me to schedule a future time to do the update. I select a time when I will be asleep and the phone is turned off, e.g. 3:00am. The next day when I power up the phone I repeat the process.

The update notification is now about as inconvenient as a single unwanted email

Bearzito

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
Hi Alice, I had the same exact problem with my phone, a Galaxy note 2 through Verizon. The kitkat update screwed it up, lost connection with the google servers and couldn't sync my google calender with the calender on my phone, and would shut down for no reason. They sent me a new one and when I was setting it up today, the update popped up as I was selecting an app for my home screen and it started doing the update to kitkat. The last thing I wanted was it to update to kitkat again, when kitkat is the reason I had to get a new phone in the first place. There is usually a message saying not to turn off your phone during the update, so I took out the battery and sim card hoping that would interrupt the download, but as soon as I put them back in and turned the phone on, the download picked up right where it left off. I even tried it it without the sim card installed and it did the same thing. I called Verizon and they said there is nothing they can do about it, and I would have to call samsung. She transferred me to them, but whatever department she transferred me to, immediately disconnected me. So, I will try calling them tomorrow and see if there is something they can do to stop the install. I have a feeling they are going to tell me that once it's started, there is nothing they can do to stop it. If the update to kitkat on this new phone screws it up like the last phone, then I'm dropping verizon and going to a different carrier and phone manufacturer.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the forums!
There is usually a message saying not to turn off your phone during the update, so I took out the battery and sim card hoping that would interrupt the download, but as soon as I put them back in and turned the phone on, the download picked up right where it left off.
If you want to prevent the update you can try this: let the download complete, then reboot the phone in Recovery mode and wipe the system cache, then reboot into normal mode and accept the update - it should fail because the update.zip file just got deleted, and it shouldn't bother you again.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome