EasyTether Pro and KitKat

vadimsel

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
All,

I've got an interesting issue.
I have VZ HTC Incredible 4G and Nexus (2013) 7. I had no problems when I was testing easyTether app between them.
Next day I installed KitKat on the tablet and purchased EasyTether Pro on the phone.
After that I have no problem connecting table to the phone via bluetooth, however, I can't access any internet services... "No Connection"

Any advises?...

Diknak

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
KitKat now allows carriers to disable tethering, so you might need to have it enabled on your mobile plan.

I have T-Mobile and I encountered similar issues with my Nexus 4 to my N7 and I had to contact them to enable tethering. They ended up giving it to me at no additional charge since I pointed out that they removed functionality from me while I was under contract.

vadimsel

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
I doubt it will work for me. I have a grandfathered service... But what about FCC regulation that carriers can't prohibit tethering?

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I doubt it will work for me. I have a grandfathered service... But what about FCC regulation that carriers can't prohibit tethering?

That's not an across the board ruling. I know it doesn't apply to unlimited plans, not sure how it applies to data-limited plans.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Since you installed Kit Kat on the tablet and not the phone I doubt that is the issue. Possibly the Pro version on the phone created the issue. You might try uninstalling it and reinstalling it again and if possible, just install the free version first and see if that works.

ks1g

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
May be a probelm in how KitKat treats the VPN created by EasyTether Tablet - the EasyTether folks posted on the Google Play page that bluetooth networking doesn't work with KitKat unless you first create a dummy wifi connection (no internet access). Verified it worked at home using a no-internet-access wifi. Now if I could just figure out how to create a dummy connection on the N7 without having to carry an access point with me.

System is N7 (2013) 32GByte KitKat (4.4). EasyTetherPro (which worked great between my phone & laptop with USB). I upgraded to KitKat before installing EasyTether Tablet so don't know how well it worked on 4.3. Have not tried USB connection yet.

Update: I can't get USB networking going either. Argh. This may be the compelling reason to root my 2+ year old phone so I can hopefully enable wifi tethering. I thought we were past the days of slumming for wifi links. (Recalling my Nokia 700 and 770 days. Yes, I was into what were then called palmtops long before tablets were fashionable or the technology really ready for general use.)

Last edited:

ks1g

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
Last (?) update: Tablet is now running stock 4.4.2. EasyTether Pro's bluetooth & USB tethering work as long as I first establish and maintain a wifi connection to an access point (not the phone) without internet access. Killing the wifi AP brings down the tethering connection. Haven't tried PDAnet yet. Since carrying around a home AP, power brick, and portable 110VAC source is unworkable, going to shop for a cheap battery-powered AP (TP-Link MR3040 looks interesting) as a long-term workaround until EasyTether has a permanent fix, or I get a mobile wifi ap or wifi tethering service.

Preacher51

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
I have the same issue. I have sent email to easy tether developer and asked about update in near future. Answer was "sorry but not likely".

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol