Does your phone play second fiddle to your Nexus 7 LTE?

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I've got a bit of a problem. I recently got the Nexus 7 LTE after I knew the Nexus 5 would not be coming to Verizon.

I got a basic flip phone, activated it on Page Plus, paid $80 for 2000 min, and now have all my calls forwarded to that basic phone.

It works well and the battery life on the basic phone is much better than my VZW GNEX. My 4G sim has found a permanent home in my Nexus 7. LTE works great and I still have my unlimited data plan. I can also use Native Tethering and Hotspot just fine, and will get updates straight from Google or can easily load them myself.

I know most people are not going to do what I've done, but it works for me so far. I use it like a Supersized Note 3!

Just curious if anyone has either:

A) Postponed Upgrading their phone after getting a Nexus 7 LTE
B) Found that they are using their Smartphone features less and using their Nexus 7 more.

Truth be told, if I had a legitimate chance to get the Nexus 5 on VZW, I probably would have, but after 10 days of using the Nexus 7 on VZW, I am pretty satisfied.

Chex313

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
I've got a bit of a problem. I recently got the Nexus 7 LTE after I knew the Nexus 5 would not be coming to Verizon.

I got a basic flip phone, activated it on Page Plus, paid $80 for 2000 min, and now have all my calls forwarded to that basic phone.

It works well and the battery life on the basic phone is much better than my VZW GNEX. My 4G sim has found a permanent home in my Nexus 7. LTE works great and I still have my unlimited data plan. I can also use Native Tethering and Hotspot just fine, and will get updates straight from Google or can easily load them myself.

I know most people are not going to do what I've done, but it works for me so far. I use it like a Supersized Note 3!

Just curious if anyone has either:

A) Postponed Upgrading their phone after getting a Nexus 7 LTE
B) Found that they are using their Smartphone features less and using their Nexus 7 more.

Truth be told, if I had a legitimate chance to get the Nexus 5 on VZW, I probably would have, but after 10 days of using the Nexus 7 on VZW, I am pretty satisfied.
I wasn't sure you could just drop a phone sim in a tablet and have it work. I don't use my phone for a Hotspot much so I'm not sure the added expense for an LTE model would be worth it. I'll have to check if the LTE At&t and t-Mo are the same Model than I could use T-Mo, free Data plan and slip my At&t sim in only when I run out.

Glad You have worked out a nice solution.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
My Nexus 7 is quite useful out and about when it's size doesn't pose an inconvenience. Otherwise, I drop down one or two clicks to the Optimus G Pro or the G2.

gp8.3

physioprof

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
Don't you have to pay 40 bucks per month network access fee for the phone sim even though it's in a tablet, when a sim registered to a tablet is only 10 bucks per month? So you are throwing away 30 bucks per month for nothing?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Don't you have to pay 40 bucks per month network access fee for the phone sim even though it's in a tablet, when a sim registered to a tablet is only 10 bucks per month? So you are throwing away 30 bucks per month for nothing?

I have 3 separate lines. 1 for the tablet and 2 for the phones.

gp8.3

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site

Basically, I have an unlimited data plan for my phone that I am currently using in my tablet. It works for me now and I don't look at is throwing money away, since I've always used my smartphone more for data, apps, and media anyway. I would be paying the same cost if my Verizon sim was in my phone or in a tablet that Verizon refuses to activate legitimately.

I can skype on my tablet and have a skype subscription that allows me to make and receive unlimited calls in the US.

I also have a Page Plus prepaid phone with $80 for 2000 minutes. I have all my the calls to my Verizon # forwarded to my Page Plus phone for those times where I need to be able to make and receive regular phone calls and when I am not able to Skype.

I am not a huge talker so $80 for 2000 minutes works out to be approximately $6.67 per month and works well for me.

Part of the reason I started this odd arrangement is because I wanted an upgrade from my GNex and wanted to keep the Nexus experience and get upgrades direct from Google. The Nexus 7 LTE really doesn't get inconvenient for me to carry around and it's only slightly inconvenient to carry the basic phone.

I just didn't care for any of the newer phones Verizon was offering and thought I would like using the Nexus 7 LTE more than the Note 3, that I was also considering.

With that said, I am still thinking about getting the Moto X Developer edition when it goes on sale for $400 today. The Moto X DE seems like about the closest Nexus phone on VZW that exists.

muddy211

Banned
Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Yup....I learned my lesson of Lambs to the Slaughter, I have to have the latest phone lesson learned...My awesome N7 and my prepaid phone combo, With Wifi at work and home and most places we all go to I have no need for the $150.00 a month phone bill...I love it:D

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site

You're actually doing a great job in handling your situation with Verizon. It's not your fault that they don't offer the Nexus 5. I think the only major issue you may face is that it can be difficult to carry a Nexus 7 with you at all times. You can always stick a cell phone into your pocket, but for a Nexus 7, you'll need a bag or a jacket with pockets wide enough to accommodate a tablet.

Ever since I bought my Nexus 7 LTE, I use my smartphone less. I like the bigger screen, larger battery, and LTE radio. Plus I don't really talk on the phone that much these days.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
You're actually doing a great job in handling your situation with Verizon. It's not your fault that they don't offer the Nexus 5. I think the only major issue you may face is that it can be difficult to carry a Nexus 7 with you at all times. You can always stick a cell phone into your pocket, but for a Nexus 7, you'll need a bag or a jacket with pockets wide enough to accommodate a tablet.

Ever since I bought my Nexus 7 LTE, I use my smartphone less. I like the bigger screen, larger battery, and LTE radio. Plus I don't really talk on the phone that much these days.

I recently got an n7 LTE. I think it could easily eat into how much I use my phones while I'm out and about but only when I'm willing to take it with me. The Optimus G Pro seems to be the sweet spot in my LTE devices.

Optimus G Pro

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I got my Nexus 5 last week. I really do like both devices. I'm finding that my time spent between my Nexus 5 and my Nexus 7 is about equal.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

howardv

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site

I know most people are not going to do what I've done, but it works for me so far.

I've done the exact same thing as you! Once I got my 2013 Nexus 7 LTE, I cancelled my Virgin Mobile phone (HTC EVO). I got a basic Verizon flip phone from e-bay ($10) and activated it on Page Plus (annual $80 for 2000min). I'm not a big cell phone user anyways, so this plan is more than sufficient for me. And I pay Verizon $30/month for 2 Gig of data for my Nexus (I also have a T-Mobile SIM handy as well). I also use Google Voice to initiate calls, so I can initiate a call using my Nexus and it rings my Page Plus cell phone! This way, I can still use my contacts information from Gmail and Google Voice.

Everything works great!