Battery Monitors screwed by Kit Kat?

cybernutte

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
I'm running Kit Kat (as of yesterday, 4.4.2) on my Nexus 7 (2013). Lately, I've been worried about battery usage, and so today I decided to get a battery monitor that would help me identify where the drain on my battery was coming from. I downloaded and installed GSam Battery Monitor, but as soon as I installed it, it told me that Kit Kat prevents non-system apps from accessing battery statistics. It claimed that the company is working on a solution, but.... So I uninstalled it. Why is Kit Kat doing this? Does anyone know of a way for me to get the info I want even with Kit Kat? I tried Data usage (under Settings), but that just shows me what has used most data over time, not what is using my battery NOW. (I know that I can narrow Data usage to show me just today, but that still isn't what I think I want.)

One related question: Usage data claims that today, Dec. 12, one of the apps that used data was YouTube. It didn't use much (1.34 KB), but I didn't use YouTube at all today. In fact, if I look at several days' usage, among the items listed are Keep, Hangouts, Calendar, Google Keyboard, and Google Text-to-speech Engine, none of which I've used. None used a lot of data, but still, why should they use any if I don't use them?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice/info you can offer a relatively new Android user.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Part of the reason is KitKat is measuring battery usage differently now. I don't have anymore details than that, but the Developers need time to modify their apps to make it work.

cybernutte

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, Golfdriver97, for your quick and useful response. I guess I'll just have to be patient (not one of my strengths :) )

cybernutte

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
Though Golfdriver explained the issue with Kit Kat, I'm wondering whether anyone can answer the second part of my original question:

Usage data claims that today, Dec. 12, one of the apps that used data was YouTube. It didn't use much (1.34 KB), but I didn't use YouTube at all today. In fact, if I look at several days' usage, among the items listed are Keep, Hangouts, Calendar, Google Keyboard, and Google Text-to-speech Engine, none of which I've used. None used a lot of data, but still, why should they use any if I don't use them?

vmurph

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Though Golfdriver explained the issue with Kit Kat, I'm wondering whether anyone can answer the second part of my original question:
I'd like to see that answered as well. It frustrates me to no end, when apps that I never use, launch themselves and actually use data, even on days that my tablet wasn't turned on...and wifi was OFF.