Typing is worse than ever!

George Stevens

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
The default keyboard. I tried a couple of different app keyboards a month or two ago and found them even more troublesome. I think that this keyboard is worse with the cursor than with my finger, but my finger is really much too big for this little keyboard.

EviI

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
The default keyboard. I tried a couple of different app keyboards a month or two ago and found them even more troublesome. I think that this keyboard is worse with the cursor than with my finger, but my finger is really much too big for this little keyboard.

Did you try out gesture typing on Google Keyboard?

EviI

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
I tried it out for about 15 seconds. I tried to type the word "are" and it seems to be insisting that i use some exotic foreign a symbol for the first letter! Guess I'm doing something wrong. Do you use it?

Yeah I use it all the time! Try it out a bit more and tell me what's going wrong.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I tried it out for about 15 seconds. I tried to type the word "are" and it seems to be insisting that i use some exotic foreign a symbol for the first letter! Guess I'm doing something wrong. Do you use it?

You might be lingering on the letter for too long. If you press and hold a letter, you get options for alternate characters. Try to trace your finger relatively smoothly over the letters of the word.

CarbonOak

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
The other thing is that it could be the touchscreen issues some people had a while ago. Is your Nexus updated to the latest version?

George Stevens

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Yes, mine is updated to the latest, just the day before yesterday, but it also one of the very early N7's. The keyboard seems to work better with my finger than the cursor I use, but my fingers are really too big for the little keyboard. Perhaps a different cursor might help.

I didn't think I was lingering on the A too long, but I'll try it again. Also when it sometimes - frequently - types out 3 or 4 letters instead of the one I'm trying to click on it's not because I'm lingering on that key too long, unless it is a microsecond or something...

George Stevens

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
I did it, BD, but zero improvement on the keyboard. It seems to have disappeared my Chrome bookmarks for some reason. No big deal. Don't know what else that little operation may have done.

I dowloaded Swiftkey, but immediately un-downloaded it as soon as i saw what they wanted to agree to, namely that i am authorizing Swiftkey to save anything and everything i type including passwords. Check it out for yourself. Nice, huh?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That actually comes up for any 3rd party keyboard. SwiftKey is well established, so I don't worry about that warning.

Posted via Android Central App

Rich215

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I tried to type the word "are" and it seems to be insisting that i use some exotic foreign a symbol for the first letter! Guess I'm doing something wrong. Do you use it?

That used to bug me so much too. Look in the Google Keyboard settings under the Advanced section. There is a toggle for using multiple language support....uncheck that.

CarbonOak

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
SwiftKey does allow you to resize your keyboard so you could give that a go. It's a great keyboard (including it's Flow gestures) and I've been using it for a long time after switching over from Swype.

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Two things I have seen cause issues. One, typing while your device is on the charger. Two, typing when you fingers are wet or oily. In both cases the capacitance of the screen can be different than normal.

George Stevens

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
" typing while your device is on the charger. ..."

That causes an issue? Yes, it's usually on a charger when I'm trying to type. But I wouldn't think that should cause an issue. You found that to be the case?

Maybe I'll try SwiftKey. I forgot the ones I tried a while back. Well, it's easy enough to try and discard them.

And thanks, Rich. I'll do that later when I get to it.

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
" typing while your device is on the charger. ..."

That causes an issue? Yes, it's usually on a charger when I'm trying to type. But I wouldn't think that should cause an issue. You found that to be the case.

I have not tried it with the Nexus 7 since I use a wireless charger. But, with other tables, Nook and Kindle, I have experienced an issue. The current from the charging can bleed make the display extremely sensitive to touch causing duplicate key entry errors. With the Nook this was very bad and was variable depending upon how you held the device. Unplugging the tablet made the issue disappear.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2fedes