question about chromecast and similar cables?

preppystud

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
does this chromecast work just like a cable connected to the nexus 7 and the tv?

can it cast any videos from any web sites that i watch on nexus 7 or just youtube and a few others?

will it continue to cast on tv even if i shut down the tablet itself?

and if i use a cable to connect nexus 7 to the tv, if the nexus 7 is on stand by, the screen will go black. then will the tv also go black, too?

thanks.

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Not exactly.

It will not mirror your screen and cast any video you want. Only supported apps from the play store will cast media. There's a whole list in the play store specific for it.

If you stream a video to the chromecast and then shut off your device, yes it will still play. The chromecast handles the video once it is told to cast something. Think of it as if you changed the channel on your TV and then took the batteries out of the remote, rendering it "off", and that channel is still playing.

I'm not sure if this one is related to chromecast or not...since there are no cables connected from your nexus 7 to the TV...but if you cast something to the chromecast and it goes to standby, the video still plays.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Also, you can use chrome browser on a laptop to mirror what is on there. Has nothing to do with the nexus 7 though.

preppystud

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
thanks for the reply.

so can chromecast cast anything that i watch on a chrome browser on my laptop then? same question, if i shut down the laptop, it will still play on my tv, right?

yes, i think that there are some kind of cable that allows people to link nexus 7 to the tv. they cost about 15 dollars or so.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
thanks for the reply.

so can chromecast cast anything that i watch on a chrome browser on my laptop then? same question, if i shut down the laptop, it will still play on my tv, right?

In the case of casting tabs in Chrome on PC, you can't just shut down your computer. That applies to apps like YouTube, Netflix, etc, but the tab casting is a live feed, so if the playback stops on your laptop, it's going to also stop on the Chromecast/TV.

preppystud

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
then it doesn't seem to be as good as i imagined.

i thought that i can watch anything that i found on the tablet, or use the laptop to find a show, then shut down the laptop.

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
I'd say its still worth having. Who knows what future development of it will bring. Even if you don't use it all that often, its still nice to easily be able to stream a couple YouTube videos or Netflix or whatever. I don't use it all that often but when I want to its nice to have. And it didn't break the bank to have it just sit there for a while.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
But it is as inexpensive as you imagined. There isn't much out there that rivals what the Chromecast can do at such a low price (and such an innocuous form factor as well).

Plus they are adding functionality to it pretty quickly now, so it's only getting better. :)

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
i thought that i can watch anything that i found on the tablet, or use the laptop to find a show, then shut down the laptop.

Different animals:

Casting from the tablet "passes off" what you are watching directly to the TV Chromecast dongle as long as the app you are running supports casting. (More and more are starting to do that.)

Casting a Chrome browser tab on the laptop actually requires the laptop to continue to broadcast. It does not "hand off" the signal like a tablet app does.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante