Still on 4.3 JB. Why Should I Upgrade to 4.4?

A0425A

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
So I'm new to Android and the Nexus 7. I come from the world of iOS. After thinking and thinking then buying a ipad mR then having buyer's remorse because of the price I found the N7 2 at the beginning of the month and was pretty happy with it. The day I took it home it upgraded to 4.4 before I knew what happened. I quickly found a couple of my favorite apps didn't work with 4.4 (then later found that some privacy features I'm very use to in iOS where not accessible) I started reading and proceeded to learn how to unlock the bootloader and sideload stock 4.3 (I hope I used the term sideloading properly). I've been running that for a while and for the most part I love the tablet. I've seen some of those apps have now updated for 4.4 support and I'm considering sideloading 4.4 stock, (I know 4.4.2 is out there but until Google gets with it and gives users the type of privacy control iOS does I'm not willing to move past code that doesn't give me app ops in some form or fashion). For those still on 4.3 tell me why you're still on JB. I'm not looking to start a new flame thread but looking to get good insightful information to help me make my mind up. Thanks.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
So I'm new to Android and the Nexus 7. I come from the world of iOS. After thinking and thinking then buying a ipad mR then having buyer's remorse because of the price I found the N7 2 at the beginning of the month and was pretty happy with it. The day I took it home it upgraded to 4.4 before I knew what happened. I quickly found a couple of my favorite apps didn't work with 4.4 (then later found that some privacy features I'm very use to in iOS where not accessible) I started reading and proceeded to learn how to unlock the bootloader and sideload stock 4.3 (I hope I used the term sideloading properly). I've been running that for a while and for the most part I love the tablet. I've seen some of those apps have now updated for 4.4 support and I'm considering sideloading 4.4 stock, (I know 4.4.2 is out there but until Google gets with it and gives users the type of privacy control iOS does I'm not willing to move past code that doesn't give me app ops in some form or fashion). For those still on 4.3 tell me why you're still on JB. I'm not looking to start a new flame thread but looking to get good insightful information to help me make my mind up. Thanks.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
Welcome to the forums.
You did use those terms correctly. Way to go!
I am going to try to take your question in two parts:
First, 4.4 brings a few more 'under the hood' changes to the OS. Meaning it introduces a new method for apps to run, called Android Run Time (ART). ART is a more efficient way for apps to run, both in battery and speed.
Second, as for app permissions, I am not sure about iOS, but with Android, and this is probably the way the OS works, if you disable the wrong permission, it can make the app misbehave. It depends on which permission and how deeply ingrained the permission is within the app.

Little Darwin

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
I allowed the upgrade for 3 reasons, and these are the same as the reasons I tend to update any OS (patch level or version).

1) If you need support, the first thing they will tell you is "update to the latest version, that might fix it." This is a standard computer help center line, even if there is no reported case of the upgrade fixing the specific issue.

2) Theoretically any security holes will be plugged first in the latest version of the OS.

3a) All the cool guys and gals have upgraded.
3b) I like being on the latest version, it makes me feel good.

Any new features and performance enhancements are usually pretty meaningless to me since I am fine with what I had, and the device spends more time waiting for me than I spend waiting for it. :)

As they say, "Your mileage may vary."