Nexus 7 (2013) Any documentation on the new gray WiFi symbol(s)?

Eaton Scrapple

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I have noticed the WiFi indicator has gone from blue to all gray/white now.

The only perplexing thing is I've noticed there are actually about four or five different states...1/4 white, 3/4 gray, half and half, 3/4 gray 1/4th white, and I've even found it displaying "eighth notes" so to speak.

Is there any documentation as to what those symbols mean? I notice when a novel symbol is displaying...response on the tablet may be funky or something.

Also there are times when the FACE RECOGNITION unlock will not work (the camera won't even come on and you have to hit the X and sign on with a pin), and when the home page comes up one of those partially white Wifi symbols comes up.

I wish Google would tell people what they did sometimes!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
As far as I know, the wifi notification icon is only displayed in grey (although I think of it as white). There is no longer any blue. If you swipe down the Quick Settings, the wifi indicator will be orange if there is no current connection with Google Servers, and white/grey when there is a connection. I've never seen the partial colors that you mention.

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I have noticed the WiFi indicator has gone from blue to all gray/white now.

The only perplexing thing is I've noticed there are actually about four or five different states...1/4 white, 3/4 gray, half and half, 3/4 gray 1/4th white, and I've even found it displaying "eighth notes" so to speak.

Is there any documentation as to what those symbols mean? I notice when a novel symbol is displaying...response on the tablet may be funky or something.

Also there are times when the FACE RECOGNITION unlock will not work (the camera won't even come on and you have to hit the X and sign on with a pin), and when the home page comes up one of those partially white Wifi symbols comes up.

I wish Google would tell people what they did sometimes!

How grey it is represents your signal strength. It (and the battery and clock and several other things) went grey as part of KitKat starting to remove the blue from Android.

Posted via Android Central App

CarbonOak

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
I actually liked the touch of blue in the previous Android version. Gave the OS a bit of style. Now it's all boring monochrome.