03-09-2014 05:28 PM
38 12
tools
    Hi guys, I hope we have some patient understanding people here. I am a 56 year old truck driver that fought tooth and nail about even getting a computer 10 years ago. Long story short I now have a desktop, lap top, and wife and I both got Samsung S3s last year. I do not know the computer lingo, and know how to do nothing but the most basic simple things that I have been able to pick up on my own.

The wife and I are going on our second vacation in our lifetime in 2 weeks, a cruise. I went out and bought a 2013 Nexus 7 after explaining to the salesman at Best Buy I wanted something that I could let the wife use to read eBooks and for us to be able to put movies on it to watch in the plane. It was my understanding that we can get eBooks free from the public library but have not tried to download any as she does not have a card yet. (tomorrow)but if it is not a simple click the download button and it appears in the Nexus, I am going to need some guidance with this.

Now the movies, I have goggled on how to do it, but from what I am reading it is a very complicated thing that is beyond me as I do not even understand what I am reading on the links I went to. ideally, I would like to either rent these or even get them free rather then buying them. It is my hopes that maybe we can get a discussion going here that would give me my options and how to go about doing it in a conversation I can understand?????

Please, any help you guys can offer me here would really be appreciated.
    01-01-2014 06:52 PM
    if u have epub go here on PC web browser https://play.google.com/books/uploads login with gmail that u used on Nexus 7

upload the files and these books would appear on your N7(app called play books)

I would recommend renting/buying play movies/TV from playstore.. open app called play movies and Tv
    01-01-2014 07:36 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! There are quite a few options to watch movies on your N7, including Google Play Movies, Netflix, Hulu, Flixster, and Crackle. Most of these options will, of course, require you to pay for the movie, either as a rental, as a permanent purchase, or as part of a monthly subscription. Some but not all services give you an option to download the movie (temporarily, if a rental), which is important if you don't have network access all the time.

Your best bet may be Google Play Movies, which has a good selection of movies for rental and purchase. I never use Netflix or Hulu, so I can't give you much input on that. Flixster is testing an option where you can convert your DVD movies into digital right on their site.

There are computer programs out there (like Handbrake and Tunebite) that allow you to legally convert a DVD that you own into a digital file, which could then be copied over to your tablet for viewing. You typically need a good 3rd party movie player like MX Player to view these files. I have to emphasize that there aren't many options to download "free" movies, with the exception of occasional promotions by various sites--"free" movies usually means "pirated," which of course is illegal, and will not be discussed in these forums.
    01-01-2014 07:40 PM
    Do you have cable TV, such as Xfinity (Comcast)? If so, you can download the Xfinity TV app, login to your Xfinity account, and download movies and TV shows to your Nexus for watching when you wish.
    B. Diddy and Ntchwaidumela like this.
    01-01-2014 09:20 PM
    Thanks guys, I was really kind of expecting to be ignored here as you guys are so far advanced over what I know. I work 10-12 hours a day durring the week so it won't be until the weekend before I get a chance to see if I can make any of this happen. You have given me an avenue to persue. I do have Xfinity, and was givcen $25.00 google store (or whatever its called)credit so that is another option I will explore. Not sure what "epub is though?
    01-02-2014 06:20 AM
    Thanks guys, I was really kind of expecting to be ignored here as you guys are so far advanced over what I know. I work 10-12 hours a day durring the week so it won't be until the weekend before I get a chance to see if I can make any of this happen. You have given me an avenue to persue. I do have Xfinity, and was givcen $25.00 google store (or whatever its called)credit so that is another option I will explore. Not sure what "epub is though?
    I travel quite a bit for my job, and I find that I use the Xfinity app most often to download movies to my Nexus. You'll find there aren't many services which allow you to download shows to your device.

Xfinity provides this service for free to their members. The app you want to download is Xfinity TV Go, which has a black icon. You can download from channels to which you subscribe, so if you have pay channels (showtime, etc) the selection of shows you can download greatly increases.

I'm leaving on travel Monday, and have downloaded 5 HD movies to play on the long flights and airport wait times.

If you need any help setting this up, feel free to send me a Personal Message, and I'll do what I can to help. It's really pretty straight forward if you have an on-line login setup for your Xfinity account.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    01-02-2014 08:44 AM
    short for electronic publication): A free and open e-book standard by the International Digital Publishing Forum (IDPF). Files have the extension .epub. E-PUB is designed for reflowable content, meaning that the text display can be optimized for the particular display device. ...

If you scroll up on your N7 and use Google Now to search for 'epub definition' you will find multiple sources for epub information.

You can also download the free Kindle and/or Nook apps, which will give you access to Amazon and Barnes & Noble respective electronic books. There are lots of free books available. You can find electronic versions of magazines too.

Posted via Android Central App
    Ntchwaidumela and Gwaron like this.
    01-02-2014 08:50 AM
    You can also download the free Kindle and/or Nook apps, which will give you access to Amazon and Barnes & Noble respective electronic books. There are lots of free books available. You can find electronic versions of magazines too.

http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=amb_link...cUvbUpU3367962
    01-02-2014 09:01 AM
    Hey BiXLL. Any success?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    01-06-2014 08:01 AM
    Here is how to do it
    N7 is great for reading lib books and mags off-line (no internet connection required). Need to install the app used by your library. I use Overdrive app for EPUB from my lib. Can also use Kindle Reader app for lib books in that format.

As for watching movies/TV on a plane, I assume you also want to view these off-line. (Many of the sites referenced here are require an internet connection). You'll need to store a video that you own or borrow in a format compatible with N7. See posting on this. Then need to install an app to play back. If you are memory limited you can even play your video stored on a flash drive. More info on this, if you'd like.
    01-06-2014 04:57 PM
    Hey BiXLL. Any success?

Yes and no. I went to the library Sat. and got a card. The lady working there help me set everything up on it to be able to download books and have a large selection of my wifes author of choice, James Patterson. I have that part down pat and wife is currently reading a book on it. I spent the rest of Sat. and part of Sunday installing the seat heaters I got for her for Christmas in her car. With the current temp at -6, I am sure she is pleased. Did not get to the movie part yet.
    01-06-2014 09:13 PM
    Here is how to do it
    N7 is great for reading lib books and mags off-line (no internet connection required). Need to install the app used by your library. I use Overdrive app for EPUB from my lib. Can also use Kindle Reader app for lib books in that format.

As for watching movies/TV on a plane, I assume you also want to view these off-line. (Many of the sites referenced here are require an internet connection). You'll need to store a video that you own or borrow in a format compatible with N7. See posting on this. Then need to install an app to play back. If you are memory limited you can even play your video stored on a flash drive. More info on this, if you'd like.
    It sounds like you know EXACTLY what I want to do. Please do give me all the help you can. I would like to have at least 4 movies available to me when we go, will this require me to use a flash drive if there is also a book or 2 on it? I am not sure what you mean by
    See posting on this
    What would the app I need to be able to play back movies be called? Would also need to know how to use a flash drive if I need it to be ablehandlendle 4 movies.

I want to let all you know that I truly appreciate the time and effort you are giving me to help me learn about this tablet. Without your help I would be totally lost and not be able to take advantage of what it is capable of doing.
    01-06-2014 09:19 PM
    I read lots of lib books on N7 using Overdrive app. I've seen movies on-line using Netflix, but have not seen any movies off-line. Storing movies take lots of memory so I would store them on flash drive. (Other post gives some thoughts on formating for play on N7. Probably lots of PC apps for this). After movie is stored I'd use an OTG (On The Go) cable to connect flash to N7. Buy this cable on Amazon or ebay for a couple of bucks. Use the app "Nexus Media Importer" to play the movie on N7 (NMI on Play Store shows an instructional video on all of this)
    Hope this helps.
    01-07-2014 09:10 AM
    It sounds like you know EXACTLY what I want to do. Please do give me all the help you can. I would like to have at least 4 movies available to me when we go, will this require me to use a flash drive if there is also a book or 2 on it? I am not sure what you mean by What would the app I need to be able to play back movies be called? Would also need to know how to use a flash drive if I need it to be ablehandlendle 4 movies.

I want to let all you know that I truly appreciate the time and effort you are giving me to help me learn about this tablet. Without your help I would be totally lost and not be able to take advantage of what it is capable of doing.
    Also there's the FilmOn.tv app which is kind of fun. Not sure if it would pick up channels on a cruise but no harm trying.

To play back any movies you might bring try MX player. It plays a wide range of formats.

Sent from my LG-LG870 using Tapatalk 2
    01-07-2014 09:24 AM
    It sounds like you know EXACTLY what I want to do. Please do give me all the help you can. I would like to have at least 4 movies available to me when we go, will this require me to use a flash drive if there is also a book or 2 on it? I am not sure what you mean by What would the app I need to be able to play back movies be called? Would also need to know how to use a flash drive if I need it to be ablehandlendle 4 movies.

Here's the link to that app.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...om.ftv.america

Sent from my LG-LG870 using Tapatalk 2
    01-07-2014 09:26 AM
    Oh man, this is way more technical then what I expected. to be honest I am starting to wonder if I am going to be able to make this happen!
    I read lots of lib books on N7 using Overdrive app. I've seen movies on-line using Netflix, but have not seen any movies off-line. Storing movies take lots of memory so I would store them on flash drive. (Other post gives some thoughts on formating for play on N7. Probably lots of PC apps for this). After movie is stored I'd use an OTG (On The Go) cable to connect flash to N7. Buy this cable on Amazon or ebay for a couple of bucks. Use the app "Nexus Media Importer" to play the movie on N7 (NMI on Play Store shows an instructional video on all of this)
    Hope this helps.
    01-07-2014 10:14 PM
    Oh man, this is way more technical then what I expected. to be honest I am starting to wonder if I am going to be able to make this happen!
    Give that Xfinity app a shot. It's free, straight forward, and there are hundreds of TV shoes and movies to download. That's what I use when on travel, and I'm on the road 3 weeks a month.
    mrsmumbles likes this.
    01-07-2014 10:20 PM
    It is not really that hard. USB flash drives are cheap and you can keep a few handy. 16GB drives are as low as $8. An OTG cable will cost you another $5 or so.
    Newegg.com - Micro USB OTG Host Cable to USB 2.0 Adapter for Samsung Galaxy S4 I9500 / S3 SIII / S2

Nexus Media Importer app will cost you $3.99. https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ususb.importer

That's it!
    mrsmumbles likes this.
    01-08-2014 10:25 AM
    This method would also require him to get the movies onto the flash drive, which judging by his comments, is leagues away from what he is comfortable doing.

01-08-2014 11:43 AM
    Welcome to the world of 'digital rights management'!

For movies if you aren't technically inclined I would suggest using Google play movies like others here have suggested. You can download them and watch them offline through the 'play movies' app. A standard definition move would take about 3 GB, so you can store several movies. HD movies are very large and would have to be compressed to a smaller format to store a decent number of them.

Also, welcome to the idea that the USB port on the N7 is not like a computer USB port. You need a special cable (OTG) and a special app. (Nexus Media Importer)
    I don't think you can store movies from Google on a flash drive anyway. Good luck even finding them on the N7 when they get downloaded, but they are there to play offline if you 'pin' them.

Ahh the old days: Get a CD pouch with some DVDs in it. Use a portable DVD Player. Have one good paper-back book and some magazines.
    01-08-2014 04:32 PM
    Google play movies are about 3+ GB for HD format, from my experience.
    01-08-2014 04:39 PM
    Another vote for Xfinity. You can choose to download in medium quality thereby giving you plenty of room to download 6 or 7 videos. You just need to spend some time searching as not everything is downloadable. You install the free Xfinity TV Go app, sign into your Comcast acct, find videos to download, download, then return to the app to watch them.

01-08-2014 05:00 PM
    Another vote for Xfinity. You can choose to download in medium quality thereby giving you plenty of room to download 6 or 7 videos. You just need to spend some time searching as not everything is downloadable. You install the free Xfinity TV Go app, sign into your Comcast acct, find videos to download, download, then return to the app to watch them.

I have Xfinity, no pay channels but have the HD DVR also. Would I be able to watch what is on my DVR? Something else I did not realize is that I was told you can get wifi on the plane? Is this true, and if so would I be able to just stream while on the plane? I am going to look into the what I can see with the Xfinity TV Go app also. Thanks again all!!!!!!!
    01-09-2014 05:50 AM
    I have Xfinity, no pay channels but have the HD DVR also. Would I be able to watch what is on my DVR? Something else I did not realize is that I was told you can get wifi on the plane? Is this true, and if so would I be able to just stream while on the plane? I am going to look into the what I can see with the Xfinity TV Go app also. Thanks again all!!!!!!!
    You can definitely watch and stream what's on your DVR, and even control your DVR using what's called Slingbox. This device connects to your cable box and your router, and allows you to control your cable box and stream to your device over the Internet. Since i'm on the road a lot, I use the Slingbox to keep up with my recorded shows. Check it out! The last generation Slingbox was about $100. The new model 500 is about $250.

In-flight internet service is available on some planes, and you pay by the hour using your credit card. I've tried streaming over the in-flight wifi, but it doesn't work very well. Not a fast enough connection, at least not in my experience.

01-09-2014 06:25 AM
    Well that rules that out, I am not paying $100.00 to watch TV! I am going to look more into what I can watch with the Xfinity TV Go app
    01-09-2014 06:42 AM
38 12