best buy offering nexus 7 $25 google play credit (troubles)

gfsockmonkey

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
ref this article:
Best Buy offering Nexus 7 for $199 with $25 Google Play credit | Android Central

begin rant in 3...2...

At 9AM on new years day, i buy the 16gb Nexus 7 with the "free bonus content" of a $25 Google play credit, for the wife.

Call #1: 1-1-14 they said it could take a couple hours for code to show up.....ok
i also notice that the page is now different...no "free bonus content"
(good thing i took a screenshot)

Call #2: 1-1-14 i never got the email with a code and spent 45 min with various folks and 3 botched transfers only to get a person saying they will call back in 24 to 48 hours and have the credit sent......we will see.

Call #3: 1-2-14 still do not have a code and no call back from them like they said. "i am going to escalate this to the "back office software codes dept" where the code must be approved and issued.... here is your ref number for this case" "it will be resolved in 24/48 hours"
again?!? ok, i think.

got too busy on Friday to call so i will give them the weekend to resolve.
Monday comes and goes with still no code in my email box.:mad:

Call #4: 1-7-14 4:45PM i'll give them the weekend and Monday to get this done..right?...WRONG
talked with someone who "3way'd" me on the phone with one of the folks (from the "back office software codes dept") that would be issuing the code (finally!.........?)
could not understand what their name was or that they even understood what i was saying......but i did hear "google play credit....$25....email to XXXX@gmail.com"
YES!!

at 6:09PM 1-7-2014
YOU HAVE MAIL! yay!.........but wait, it is for $25 windows app store credit for purchasing a Microsoft Touch device....AAAAAAARRRRGGGGGG!!!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Call #5: 1-7-14 6:15PM 2 more botched transfers......" i see you have not yet received the $25 Google Play gift card code yet, we will have to send this to our "back office software code dept" to be approved. you will need to wait 24/48 hours for any email codes to be generated." WHAT!!!?!?!
(apparently, no one has been updating the case with info that they have already done this)

FFFFUUUUUU!!!

as of 7:48PM CST 1-7-2014, i am waiting to call them again tomorrow (a full week after purchase) to try and get this resolved again.
they can have their damn Microsoft code...i have nothing to use it against

have a good chuckle, i am sure i will at some point :-\

after all of this is done my best buy card will be mailed to the with my final bill in pieces (not sure why i still have one).
i sure don't want to cancel the card yet, that may delay something i had not even foreseen

:endrant
phew

anon(8256055)

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
Has your N7 shipped? When I ordered my N7, the Google Play credit notification, with special code, wasn't emailed to me until after shipment.

Athlon646464

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
This is how I got my issue with the $25 card resolved.

I bought a 7 on New Years Day in person at my local BB because of this deal. When the cashier rang me up she asked me for my email address and my code was on my receipt and in my gmail inbox when I got home. Perfect.

Then my wife grabbed my new 7 out of my hands and had to have one. I went back to my local BB on January 2 and bought another one. The same deal was still listed on their web site. This time the cashier did not ask me for my email address, and there was no code on my receipt. So, to make a long story short (it took about 25 minutes to resolve - had to keep going up the BB food chain at the store), the manager gave me a $25 gift card for Google Play. He rang it up at no charge.

During the conversations with the in-store folks we kept going to their web site to see that the deal was still being advertised. None of them could understand, however, why the cashier was not prompted on January 2 like they were being prompted on the day before. I was just happy to have it resolved before I walked out.

gfsockmonkey

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
i hear you, but this was an online transaction.
the store did nothing more than verify my ID and handed it to me.
they were not involved with the transaction or its "extras".

Athlon's issue was 100% a retail store issue.

i am in the tech support business and there is nothing more frustrating than someone "shotgunning" (repeatedly calling support to try and get a different person without telling them there has already been someone working it) an issue and wasting multiple agents time to resolve the same issue. most of the time it only delays the resolution. (i already have a case # with support)

at this point, i am waiting to get a hold of the person that got in touch with the "back office" dept.....i have her name and maybe she knows the person that was brought into the conversation
it would be nice if the support center would just call my local store and have me pick up a physical play card.....so much easier (at least from my end)

Athlon646464

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
i hear you, but this was an online transaction.
the store did nothing more than verify my ID and handed it to me.
they were not involved with the transaction or its "extras".

Athlon's issue was 100% a retail store issue.

i am in the tech support business and there is nothing more frustrating than someone "shotgunning" (repeatedly calling support to try and get a different person without telling them there has already been someone working it) an issue and wasting multiple agents time to resolve the same issue. most of the time it only delays the resolution. (i already have a case # with support)

at this point, i am waiting to get a hold of the person that got in touch with the "back office" dept.....i have her name and maybe she knows the person that was brought into the conversation
it would be nice if the support center would just call my local store and have me pick up a physical play card.....so much easier (at least from my end)

If I were you (assuming they don't resolve it through the channel you are pursuing), I would go to the store where you picked it up and speak to the manger. He/she will give you the $25 card. I have no doubt about that if you have all of your documentation with you.

My guess is that he/she views the 'web site' as just another sales agent in their employ. It was another sale for them, and for 'only' $25 they will not want to lose a local customer.

gfsockmonkey

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I am proud to announce that i now have $25 extra in my Google Play balance.....and they all rejoiced.....yay.

got to someone quickly who read the case info and transferred me to the digital downloads dept and had code in 20 min........why could they have not done this in the first place?!?!?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabrieldavis