Nexus 7: Random restarts

Triceranuke

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
I posted a while back about my girlfriend's n7. Mine works perfectly fine but hers has had sporadic restarts. We returned the first one but the second one had the same issue. We did a factory reset and it was problem free for over a week but it just now did a random restart. We are out of the return window with it now and really don't want to have to send it in and wait a month. Does anyone know what causes this issue?

Last edited by a moderator:

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Re: Random restarts

Hello,

First I don't think anyone out there can rule out the occasional random restart on any device. I've seen it happen on everything I've owned, rooted or stock. Most of the time its a software related problem. Not necessarily the fault of the OS and more likely of an application you have on the device. But there is that small percentage that does have a hardware related issue that causes this so we can't rule that out either.

My suggestion would be to look at anything outside of the stock applications that you have installed since doing the factory reset.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Random restarts

Agree with above. Even though you did a factory reset, it might still be worthwhile to do a system cache partition wipe. You won't lose any personal data or settings anyway, so no harm in trying: http://forums.androidcentral.com/go...e-nexus-7-2012-2013-cache-partition-wipe.html

The other thing to try would be to boot into Safe Mode, which disables 3rd party apps. Granted, you won't be able to do a whole lot, but you could fiddle around with Google apps and browsing for a while, and see if random reboots still occur. If they do, then it's a problem with the system. If not, it could be something else you installed. https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/2852139?hl=en

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
Funny (and ironic) thing with me is that my n7 is the only device I own that I have never had a random restart. I own 3 Samsung devices and all 3 have randomly restarted at least a few times over the last year or so. Granted I just got my n7 a month or so ago and have only put about 100 hours on it, but no restarts yet.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Mine's been solid. The only device I've ever had that had random restart issues was the Droid Incredible (knock on wood).

Triceranuke

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
Update: I tried what was suggested by clearing the cache then running the tablet in safe mode. It restarted for the third time today while in safe mode so I don't know what to do at this point.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance