Nexus 7: Is this normal battery usage?

FlyHighGuy

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys

I'm new to android (and modern technology in general really), so I apologise in advance if this is a stupid question, but is this battery usage normal?

Screen - 27%
Tablet idle - 21%
Android system - 12%
Chrome - 10%
Media server - 6%
Android OS - 5%
Three processes related to chrome - 10%
Com.android.systemui - 2%

What is this mysterious media server? Why is tablet idle so high? And why does chrome and it's processes refuse to stop using battery even after I close out of it completely?

Thanks a lot again, hopefully this question isn't too insufferable.

Last edited by a moderator:

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Re: Is this normal battery usage?

Hey guys

I'm new to android (and modern technology in general really), so I apologise in advance if this is a stupid question, but is this battery usage normal?

Screen - 27%
Tablet idle - 21%
Android system - 12%
Chrome - 10%
Media server - 6%
Android OS - 5%
Three processes related to chrome - 10%
Com.android.systemui - 2%

What is this mysterious media server? Why is tablet idle so high? And why does chrome and it's processes refuse to stop using battery even after I close out of it completely?

Thanks a lot again, hopefully this question isn't too insufferable.
Welcome to Android Central :)
We're going to need more info. You can upload screenshots from your battery stats. Show how long each of these is running and maybe we can be of more help

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forums.
Based on what you typed, that doesn't seem that bad.
Does it sit idle? If yes, then that will explain the high OS usage. Media server is a general category for simple things like downloads from Play.

I do agree with UJ95x. I would also like to see a screen shot of your battery stats and the graph, please.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

FlyHighGuy

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
Thank you guys!

Well I did eventually figure out how to take a screenshot of my battery usage, but I couldn't figure out how to post the image here from my nexus. I know, I'm a newb. Could someone enlighten me? :)

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Thank you guys!

Well I did eventually figure out how to take a screenshot of my battery usage, but I couldn't figure out how to post the image here from my nexus. I know, I'm a newb. Could someone enlighten me? :)

Are you on the AC app or the AC Forums app?
Can't be done on the first, but the second one will give you the option to if you open the thread, hit the options in the upper-right hand corner and hit reply. Then do it again to see the option to add attachment or insert URL link to an image :)

Posted via Android Central App

sk8trix

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Since 4.3 some processes run in the background more often, what you should be worrying about is how often the device wakes up while the screen is turned off, it it doesnt wake up too much you should be okay with battery. I use my tablet alot even while using LTE I manage to get about 24 hours battery life, and that is playing games,browsin,etc. If youre rooted you can try disabling some apps you don't need as well as maybe using things like greenify and Titanium backup.

preppystud

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
it seems that if you use it for an hour, the battery power will decrease about 10%.

and you put it on standby, close all the apps, after one night, the batter power will decrease about 3%.

go check it yourself, if it is in that range, your battery is ok.