Is it just my Nexus 7 or is the touch sensitivity a little off on this thing?

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I have one of those newer Nexus7's that constantly has touch screen problem. But get this - If a remove the tablet from my Androidified TPU case, all of the problems disappear. The very edges of the case must just barely make contact with the edges of the touch screen, causing it to go crazy. It's too bad. I really like the case. I'm also using a screen protector, if that makes any difference.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

JConn_Lefty

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
I have one of those newer Nexus7's that constantly has touch screen problem. But get this - If a remove the tablet from my Androidified TPU case, all of the problems disappear. The very edges of the case must just barely make contact with the edges of the touch screen, causing it to go crazy. It's too bad. I really like the case. I'm also using a screen protector, if that makes any difference.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

same here. once the covers came off, the screen started responding. the funny thing is, when the n7 is sitting on a desk and you try to touch the screen (one hand), it will not respond. the second you pick it up, it works.

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
same here. once the covers came off, the screen started responding. the funny thing is, when the n7 is sitting on a desk and you try to touch the screen (one hand), it will not respond. the second you pick it up, it works.

Yeah, the device NEEDS contact with your hand in some way to register touches reliably.

JConn_Lefty

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, the device NEEDS contact with your hand in some way to register touches reliably.

is there a fix to this? the reason i ask is because i'm about ready to purchase this:
Amazon.com: Magnetos Universal CD Slot Magnetic Cradle-less Smartphone Car Mount Holder for iPhone 5 5S 5C 4 4S iPod touch, Samsung Galaxy S4 S3 Note 2 Google Droid HTC GPS with Quick-snap technology: Cell Phones & Accessories
to use with both my n5 and 7. more for my n7 actually. i want to use it as my navigation for my car. i have unlimited data so why not right?

and after reading this post just now, i realized that my plans might not work out. the nexus 7 won't respond sitting on my dash right?

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
is there a fix to this? the reason i ask is because i'm about ready to purchase this:
Amazon.com: Magnetos Universal CD Slot Magnetic Cradle-less Smartphone Car Mount Holder for iPhone 5 5S 5C 4 4S iPod touch, Samsung Galaxy S4 S3 Note 2 Google Droid HTC GPS with Quick-snap technology: Cell Phones & Accessories
to use with both my n5 and 7. more for my n7 actually. i want to use it as my navigation for my car. i have unlimited data so why not right?

and after reading this post just now, i realized that my plans might not work out. the nexus 7 won't respond sitting on my dash right?

I don't think you will be too happy with that. As you know the n7 doesnt respond at least half the time when you're not touching it. Probably wont work too well with that mount. You might end up getting pissed off and throwing the damn thing out the window!

there is a guy over on xda who claims there's a fix for this. It involves taking off the back of the device and disconnecting and then reconnecting the screen connection so as to clean up the contacts, or something to that effect. Alot of people swear it works.

JConn_Lefty

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
I don't think you will be too happy with that. As you know the n7 doesnt respond at least half the time when you're not touching it. Probably wont work too well with that mount. You might end up getting pissed off and throwing the damn thing out the window!

there is a guy over on xda who claims there's a fix for this. It involves taking off the back of the device and disconnecting and then reconnecting the screen connection so as to clean up the contacts, or something to that effect. Alot of people swear it works.

luckily, i have not ordered it yet.

i dont know how i feel about ripping apart my new n7 but thanks for the info. i'm going to do some more research.

Oilfriedghost

May 3, 2014
Visit site
I think we all agree that holding the n7 seems to help. What also helps is when the n7 is charging. So when it is unheld on the table, I have issues registering touch, but as soon as I plug in a usb charger, it responds as expected!

I've also never had any issues using it as an in-car gps navigator since I always have it plugged in.

Jason Bagley

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
I was noticing this problem as well. I have noticed this with my phone sometimes, too. It always seems to work better while I'm holding it--with or without a case.

I have noticed a few other things: I sometimes like to use a rubber-tip stylus. Under similar conditions, the stylus seems to perform about as good (or poorly) as my fingers. For example, if I'm holding the Nexus with one hand, the stylus works alright. Holding it with both hands--works very well! When the Nexus is flat on my table (with the flap for my case behind it), it seems to work a little less, but overall works.

Also, I've noticed that it's almost strictly one side of the Nexus that ever seems to have a problem at one time. For me, it's the top half when I have it in landscape mode.

If I try to keep it suspended using the case flap, it doesn't work as well in either case.

So I feel like a summary of this entire forum might be:
Works best if you're holding it with both hands.
Works better if it is on hard flat surfaces--lots of connection to other conductors? Maybe pressure sensitivity?
Probably a manufacture defect.

Android Rocks

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
Re: is it just my n7 or is the touch sensitivity a little off on this thing?

I didn't start having this issue until the humidity got higher. I've also noticed it under the opposite extreme, when my hands are very dry. I don't understand the touch technology, if humidity could effect it, but it seems a possibility. I've never had this problem with my iPhone.

Sam12Ash

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
I've been encountering a nonresponsive n7 2013 for about 6mon now. I use s screen protector and Google case. It's unfortunate that there is no sensitivity setting. Most of my issues come when typing not swyping. I've come across issues with closing Chrome tabs or accessing Chrome settings button as well. Very frustrating.

Oilfriedghost

May 3, 2014
Visit site
So apparently, once I took off the screen protector, every touch is working as expected; regardless of being plugged in or not. I have the same Rhinoshield screen protector on my n5 with no issues so I didn't want to believe that was the cause. Maybe I should try a cheap screen protector to see if the symptoms return.

sybaseguru

Sep 27, 2017
Visit site
I've tried using my N7 2013 as a Phantom 3 Standard display. Firstly it doesn't like anything encroaching on the screen edge, it seems to get distracted from touches. In the end I've stuck a gopro mount on the back with a fabricated bracket and find it better, but still not overly responsive unless I lick my finger before using it.