Is it just my Nexus 7 or is the touch sensitivity a little off on this thing?

JConn_Lefty

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
i find myself hitting the same spot on my n7 screen several times (sometimes) to activate whatever it is that i'm trying to do. i thought i read here that somebody was having screen sensitivity issues before but i could be wrong.

anyways, never had this issue until i installed my screen protector and my official google nexus 7 case. couple of days i had my n7 completely naked, it worked flawlessly, but then again, it's a brand new device so why should it have any issues. but now that i have some apps downloaded and i've been using it for about 3 weeks, i'm having my first issue. that issue being the screen not responding to the touch.

so this is what i did:
first, i removed my n7 case. the n7 case is a very tight fit (unlike the bumper case which is loose). when i removed the n7 from the case, it seemed to have fixed the issue. i thought maybe the case was putting too much pressure on the tablet or perhaps it was warping the screen because it's such a tight fit and that threw the screen off. great, problem fixed right? wrong. last night after this, i did't get to use my n7 much.

today, i came to work without my n7 case (yes, my n7 naked, minus the screen protector at the moment). everything was dandy until lunchtime when i started fiddling with the n7 and i realized, my screen problem was not fixed. i'm still having the issue, just not as much for some reason...

now, before i rip my screen protector off, i'd like to know if this is a wide-spread problem or isolated to just myself. i'm on android v. 4.4.2 as of right now.

thanks folks for your replies in advance!

side note, i was looking up my n7 android version and i happened to click on the build number at the bottom several times and a small message popped up, stating that i am now a developer. and now under setting, i have a new menu called "developer options". did i just discover something awesome or was that always there and i never realized?

Last edited by a moderator:

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Re: is it just my n7 or is the touch sensitivity a little off on this thing?

I have seen a few post with similar issues. Have you contacted Google or Asus for a warranty repair? That's what I would do. If you bought from a local retailer you can try them first and see if they will replace.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Brian Low

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site

Haha developer options have always been there. Nothing new.

Posted via Android Central App

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site

Developer options are NOT in the settings menu are until you tap build number several times. By tapping it a few times in a row the developer settings appear in the menu. (Similar to tapping androis version and the animation appearing)

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site

i find myself hitting the same spot on my n7 screen several times (sometimes) to activate whatever it is that i'm trying to do.
now, before i rip my screen protector off, i'd like to know if this is a wide-spread problem or isolated to just myself. i'm on android v. 4.4.2 as of right now.

thanks folks for your replies in advance!

I don't use a screen protector but I have had these symptoms with my N7 two or three times. I'm watching for it if it happens again so I can perhaps discover what causes it. The last time it happened I did a soft power down/up and it once again worked normally. FWIW, I've had this occasionally happen with my phone as well, so I'm wondering if it's a wifi signal issue.

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site

I notice having to do the the double or triple tap once in a while, but not really any worse than any other tablet.

JConn_Lefty

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site

ok, so last night, i was using my n7 and i think i discovered the part of my screen that's malfunctioning (if that's even possible).

it seems to me like whenever i swipe/touch the top right hand side of the n7, it's not responsive as the rest of the screen. swipe on the n7 is smooth. but when i swipe on the top right hand side, it skips. the problem is, it doesn't happen every time. can anybody else confirm this?

i already have my n7 set up the way i want it. i would hate to send this to google or return it to best buy just to be told, "sorry, couldn't replicate the problem".

anybody have any solution for this? is this something that can be fixed with firmware update or is this a hardware issue?

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site

I have never noticed a swiping issue, just the missed tap once in awhile.

CarbonOak

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
I had those issues so I just sent mine to Asus for repair. It had seemed to get worse the longer I've had it (bought in August 2013) and factory resetting it didn't help. I'm hoping they'll be able to fix it because I love the tablet; just those tapping issues were being frustrating.

Once I get it back, I'll update on how it went.

Uncle Remus

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site

I have had an issue with closing tabs in Chrome, which is in the top right corner (portrait). Drive me nuts but I've only noticed it while using Chrome. I have not noticed it while using it in landscape so I thought it was just a screen "RealEstate" issue....

I do not have a screen protector. I was pretty sure it was a Chrome thing, but now you've got me wondering.....

I'll play around with it and see if it happens in other situations.

Good luck,
Hoot

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
I have just noticed that the screen problem with not recognizing touch is a lot worse when you are not holding the tablet. I put mine down on a table and tried to use it and noticed that it barely recognizes my inputs. When holding it in hand it is not that bad at all.

have24

Nov 20, 2011
Visit site
I have just noticed that the screen problem with not recognizing touch is a lot worse when you are not holding the tablet. I put mine down on a table and tried to use it and noticed that it barely recognizes my inputs. When holding it in hand it is not that bad at all.

I've had some touch issues and this is what I've noticed too. I think it almost has to do with pressure. I can lay my nexus 7 on its sleeve and barely get anywhere I touch to respond. However as soon as I pick it up our take the sleeve out from underneath it (if I'm at a table or another hard surface), it works just fine. I can replicate this same problem by laying it down on the couch or bed and get poor response but as soon as I pick it up or put it on a hard surface it will work fine.

physioprof

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
This is thought to be an issue of electrical continuity between the user and the tablet that makes touch worse when you aren't holding it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
I've had some touch issues and this is what I've noticed too. I think it almost has to do with pressure. I can lay my nexus 7 on its sleeve and barely get anywhere I touch to respond. However as soon as I pick it up our take the sleeve out from underneath it (if I'm at a table or another hard surface), it works just fine. I can replicate this same problem by laying it down on the couch or bed and get poor response but as soon as I pick it up or put it on a hard surface it will work fine.

Try laying it on your couch and try to use the screen without touching the tablet (as you know it barely works) then try touching it with the tip of one finger and using the tablet with the other hand. You will notice that it is a lot better, almost as if the tablet needs a ground connection or something to work correctly. This is very weird and I am suprised that they manufacturer something with this kind of defect. Granted I never noticed it because I ALWAYS hold my tablet when using it , but there have to be a decent number of people out there that want to put their tablet down and type on it and use the acreen . they basically cant . absolutely amazing that this exists honestly!!

JConn_Lefty

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site

funny you mentioned that, i experienced that this weekend. my n7 was sitting on my couch next to me, i received a notification so i tapped on it and it didn't respond. the second i picked up the n7, it worked.

- - - Updated - - -

I had those issues so I just sent mine to Asus for repair. It had seemed to get worse the longer I've had it (bought in August 2013) and factory resetting it didn't help. I'm hoping they'll be able to fix it because I love the tablet; just those tapping issues were being frustrating.

Once I get it back, I'll update on how it went.

let us know!!

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, try some experimenting with it, definitely doesn't respond when put on a soft surface, very weird.

ollieg

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
If I leave a tablet screen against a surface while on, such as in a pocket, it can come out of the pocket w/desensitized regions. That was true for my two previous tablets as well as the Nexus.

I also note that certain apps, like Firefox Beta, can become "busy" and my taps accumulate into multiple Open In New Window dialogs.

Skin moisture affects capacitance.

Sometimes I fight the screen, just to discover I'm pressing TOO HARD and just an ever so light tap will do everything I want!

CarbonOak

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
I updated my original thread about sending in my Nexus 7 for repair here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/go...-send-their-nexus-7-warranty-repair-asus.html

I've been messing around with my now-repaired Nexus 7 and I'm happy to report I have no touchscreen issues anymore; no more random or ghost presses. Apparently something was replaced because a piece of paper came with it that showed a new part number that was replaced.

Before I had it repaired, there was one game I could consistently reproduce the touch problems, and that was Pivvot. I basically couldn't play it because every time I tried, touches would register all over the screen and cause me to fail. I can confidently report now that I have had zero problems playing the game now. I'm happy that Asus took care of my issue fairly quickly.

John Daley1

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
Could it be that these screens just need breaking in? I find the sides of the screen to be less touch sensitive requiring a harder touch. That part of the glass doesn't bow as easily as the center.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay