[Q] Extract Data without Root or Unlock (Stuck in bootloop)

funkyblue04

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Hello

Does anyone know a way to extract data from a Nexus 7 2013 without it being unlocked or rooted?

It is stuck in a bootloop, I think from a failed update. The tablet belongs to a family friend who has been using it as a usb device for months and it contains documents, photos and other important data.

I manually sideloaded updates to 4.4.2 but that also did not work. Is there anyway to extract data off this thing? I can access stock recovery and fastboot. I would even destroy the tablet if there was a way to take the chip out and copy the stuff to a computer,

Thanks everyone :)

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
If the device had USB debugging enabled via Developer Settings then there might be some chance you could pull it....

Otherwise, its a 2013 model... I'd shoot it into ASUS for repair and hope for the best that they can get it going and not loose the info.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Hello

Does anyone know a way to extract data from a Nexus 7 2013 without it being unlocked or rooted?

It is stuck in a bootloop, I think from a failed update. The tablet belongs to a family friend who has been using it as a usb device for months and it contains documents, photos and other important data.

I manually sideloaded updates to 4.4.2 but that also did not work. Is there anyway to extract data off this thing? I can access stock recovery and fastboot. I would even destroy the tablet if there was a way to take the chip out and copy the stuff to a computer,

Thanks everyone :)

You would need ADB to extract things, which requires Debugging to be enabled. Without that I don't think there's anything you can do.

funkyblue04

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I know. Its so frustrating. So I gather there is simply no way to extract data, even if the thing is pulled apart?
Sigh. Every solution either requires an unlocked bootloader or to be rooted. If only the stupid updates had fixed the bootloop.

If I took it back to ASUS they would just format or replace. Data would be defiantly gone then. It's so frustrating.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I know. Its so frustrating. So I gather there is simply no way to extract data, even if the thing is pulled apart?
Sigh. Every solution either requires an unlocked bootloader or to be rooted. If only the stupid updates had fixed the bootloop.

If I took it back to ASUS they would just format or replace. Data would be defiantly gone then. It's so frustrating.

Yeah. It's not always a good situation, but at least you know that someone a bit more nefarious also wouldn't be able to access the data.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindagibney