Web browsing on Nexus 7 2nd generation battery drain !!

iDoc86

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
Hello
I want to know during web browsing usually how long that tablet lasts especially if lightness is 10 %
I noticed that during 1hr and 30 minutes that battery drained from 100 to 83 %
is that ok??

Although if i watch a movie for 1 hour it will drain about 9-11%
i closed everything possible that could drain the battery even forced closed some apps and disabled some !!

my question regular browsing on wifi for about 1 hour and the lightness is 15% what is the normal rate for drain??
google claims that web browsing lasts 10 hours which means for 1 hour the normal drain should be 10% right ?
Because if something wrong with my tablet i got to replace it :-\

Last edited by a moderator:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: web browsing on nexus 7 2nd generation battery drain !!

I'm always a little suspicious of battery life claims from any manufacturer. The tests they do are always going to be somewhat artificial, and won't reflect real-world use. I would imagine that the web browsing claim is based on a device that had no other 3rd party apps installed, with some automated protocol going from one website to another at some set interval. On the other hand, with your real-world usage, you likely have some other 3rd party apps working and syncing in the background (which is normal), and you may be accessing different websites more frequently (which will use more battery).

I have found that with real-world usage, the total screen-on time that I get on my 2013 N7 is about 6 hrs, which is pretty standard. With the stats that you report, you'd be on the way to about 7.5 hrs of total screen-on time, which is pretty good. I wouldn't worry too much.

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site

Hello
I want to know during web browsing usually how long that tablet lasts especially if lightness is 10 %
I noticed that during 1hr and 30 minutes that battery drained from 100 to 83 %
is that ok??

Although if i watch a movie for 1 hour it will drain about 9-11%
i closed everything possible that could drain the battery even forced closed some apps and disabled some !!

my question regular browsing on wifi for about 1 hour and the lightness is 15% what is the normal rate for drain??
google claims that web browsing lasts 10 hours which means for 1 hour the normal drain should be 10% right ?
Because if something wrong with my tablet i got to replace it :-\

I get 8 hours of screen on time with 24 hours or so on the battery consistently. I only use my tablet for web browsing, email and a few weather and news apps. No videos/you tube, games or music at all(I know im boring).

iDoc86

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site

I get 8 hours of screen on time with 24 hours or so on the battery consistently. I only use my tablet for web browsing, email and a few weather and news apps. No videos/you tube, games or music at all(I know im boring).
when u get 8hrs whats your battery charge at that time?
Is it 20% or !%

- - - Updated - - -

I'm always a little suspicious of battery life claims from any manufacturer. The tests they do are always going to be somewhat artificial, and won't reflect real-world use. I would imagine that the web browsing claim is based on a device that had no other 3rd party apps installed, with some automated protocol going from one website to another at some set interval. On the other hand, with your real-world usage, you likely have some other 3rd party apps working and syncing in the background (which is normal), and you may be accessing different websites more frequently (which will use more battery).

I have found that with real-world usage, the total screen-on time that I get on my 2013 N7 is about 6 hrs, which is pretty standard. With the stats that you report, you'd be on the way to about 7.5 hrs of total screen-on time, which is pretty good. I wouldn't worry too much.

Thank you for your reply,i dunno why im not lucky when buying gadgets cuz usually i dont get satisfied at the end

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site

I barely make it to 8 hours screen on time.
I am at 1 or 2% when at or approaching 8 hour mark. My brightness is also always at about 10 or 15% rarely any more as the screen is painfully bright at anything over 50%:)

yours seems about right.

iDoc86

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site

I barely make it to 8 hours screen on time.
I am at 1 or 2% when at or approaching 8 hour mark. My brightness is also always at about 10 or 15% rarely any more as the screen is painfully bright at anything over 50%:)

yours seems about right.

Man the one thing about about smart phones or tablets is that we became so damn obsessed with BATTERIES lol , i wish we can go back to 7 years back were things were much simpler and no pshyco things lo

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

You can have your Windows CE ... I'll stick with Android :)

Posted via Android Central App

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

Man the one thing about about smart phones or tablets is that we became so damn obsessed with BATTERIES lol , i wish we can go back to 7 years back were things were much simpler and no pshyco things lo

Your Nexus 7 charges wirelessly. Just get a QI wireless charger or two and lay the Nexus 7 on the charger when you eat, go out the door, etc. It will charged every time you need it.

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
I have heard a lot of complaints about wireless charging saying it is more of a pain than worth. Things like it take forever to correctly position the device on the charging pad to get it to charge. What brand wireless charger do you have and how does it work?

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I have heard a lot of complaints about wireless charging saying it is more of a pain than worth. Things like it take forever to correctly position the device on the charging pad to get it to charge. What brand wireless charger do you have and how does it work?

Nokia DT-900 and DT-910. They charge the table right through the Poetic case. As for correct position. Just put the tablet on the case and push it a touch if the charging light does not come on. The DT-910 holds your table upright and the Nexus 7's screen saver displays a clock. I have one on my nightstand.

The chargers will also charge a Nexus 5 or other phones. I use them with my Droid DNA.

AT&T seems to have the cheapest price since they sell so many Nokia phones.

Last edited:

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
Nokia DT-900 and DT-910. They charge the table right through the Poetic case. As for correct position. Just put the tablet on the case and push it a touch if the charging light does not come on. The DT-910 holds your table upright and the Nexus 7's screen saver displays a clock. I have one on my nightstand.

The chargers will also charge a Nexus 5 or other phones. I use them with my Droid DNA.

With the DT 910 do you charge in portrait or landscape orientation?

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C40OG22/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I just ordered this charger, we'll see how it works. Great thing about amazon, if I have a problem they take it back no questions asked.

I don't know why above link isn't working.

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
I am trying out the charger today. I have one question though. Do you how hot the battery should get when charging? I am at about 85 f, is that too hot?

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I am trying out the charger today. I have one question though. Do you how hot the battery should get when charging? I am at about 85 f, is that too hot?
85 F should be well within the normal operating range. I would not worry until much higher, say 110. The device should have a thermal sensor that will slow the processor or shut it down if it get's too hot.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463