What You'd Like To See In The New 2014 Nexus 7/8

kudbegud

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
I'd love to see a couple improvements or addition that would make the Nexus better. Maybe those at Google who develop the features of the Nexus line could see this post and consider including these ideas. Please add your ideas and thoughts.

1) Multi tasking.
2) SD Card slot
3) An Accessory jack. This would open up a new market for third party developers and make the design easier because things would be external and not internal. The sky would be the limit for developers.

Things that this could include might be:
- an IR blaster type attachment/app to control your TV and other remote controlled devices
- a flash for the camera
- better camera, maybe even DSLR type or microscope type
- a credit card reader
- SD card reader/writer if one wasn't built in
- USB reader/writer
- HDMI/Display port output
- a projector for presentations, movies etc
- speakers
- extra/external battery

cpcxgsr

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Better quality control with whomever the manufacturer will be. BC Asus' QC is complete garbage

Posted via Android Central App

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I can't recall the link, but I did recently catch something saying that Google maybe considering dropping the " Nexus " line completely and re-branding it under the Play Store name in some fashion.

Again.. I will have to dig for the link and I haven't heard about this anywhere else yet so take it with a grain of salt.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
You made some good suggestions. However I think the whole sdcard option needs to die off. Google has stated its stance on sdcard support and I stand with them on it. I think at the very least moving forward the Nexus line or any OEM offering no sdcard support should have a baseline 32 gb w/ 64 gb option for memory. Days of 8/16gb are over and too limiting when you only have Cloud services or Dropbox, etc to fall back on.

Little Darwin

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
If they release anything this year, the chances are that it is already designed, so wish lists should be targeted at 2015. :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

kudbegud

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
I hear ya Paul and agree for the most part. No SD slot strengthens my call for an accessory jack. If you want it an accessory is available but the extra cost and design limitations aren't forced on everybody. Equals lower cost base model customizable to your needs with any accessory that developers can come out with.

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I agree with no SD card. Google has made it pretty clear that they believe the future is cloud storage. Putting Android development under the Chrome management team is going to the cement this thinking.

For me I would like to see an 8 inch unit. Completely unlocked LTE and GSM support on ALL carriers day one. (Grrr Verizon)

I hope they do keep the Nexus units around, or provide a way for developers to get units from other vendors with no skins (or at least uninstallable to the get to an AOSP experience), easy rooting, constant updates not tied to carriers, and a low price.

Sassi666

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
I can't recall the link, but I did recently catch something saying that Google maybe considering dropping the " Nexus " line completely and re-branding it under the Play Store name in some fashion.

Again.. I will have to dig for the link and I haven't heard about this anywhere else yet so take it with a grain of salt.

I saw that article too. I hope it's not true as we can't get Google play devices here in Australia :( I think it was in the international business times.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Scott99

May 27, 2010
Visit site
To be honest, I love the Nexus 2013, it does everything I want. The only thing I need in the next few months is for me to able to mimic my tablet 100% through my Google Chromecast. I'm having a blast with both, if they can get it where I do my whole tablet experience at home on my 46' TV, I'd be thrilled. I don't plan on getting another tablet.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
1) Multi tasking.

I assume you mean something where you can view more than one app at the same time?

2) SD Card slot

They just need to offer larger built-in storage options and not jack the price up ridiculously for it. As has been said, it's been made clear that SD cards don't fit their design philosophy.

3) An Accessory jack. This would open up a new market for third party developers and make the design easier because things would be external and not internal. The sky would be the limit for developers.

Perhaps something like a sort of Universal Serial Bus, which is made to an established interface standard that any accessory maker can adhere to and make accessories for? *looks at bottom of Nexus 7*

John Daley1

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
SD Card Slot

FREE NEXUS MEDIA IMPORTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Extra USBMINI on the side.

Easier case to open like the 2012 N7 for battery replacement

Somme good apps for business and multimedia

No chrome

Better camera

Last edited:

spackmanstephen

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
I don't think they will kill off the Nexus brand. The N7 is the most popular Android tablet on the market.

I'd like to see it bumped to a 8 inch screen, 16 32 64 storage options.

Apart from that, all is good...

the big print giveth, the small print taketh

John Crane1

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
With all respect to the Google braintrust, not everyone everywhere has internet access. Even where there is access, the fees can be high and speed slow. A 64 Gig SD card is not unreasonable and given the customer demand, clearly the public has different opinion. I was in Best Buy today looking at the Nexus 7 and was tempted, still need to clear up my questions about offline navigation. If I can use the GPS without online fees, I'm going to lose a significant amount of space in offline maps. If I take it with me on the road for a week, the movies, maps, music and apps could push even a 32G unit.

callanish

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
With all respect to the Google braintrust, not everyone everywhere has internet access. Even where there is access, the fees can be high and speed slow. A 64 Gig SD card is not unreasonable and given the customer demand, clearly the public has different opinion. I was in Best Buy today looking at the Nexus 7 and was tempted, still need to clear up my questions about offline navigation. If I can use the GPS without online fees, I'm going to lose a significant amount of space in offline maps. If I take it with me on the road for a week, the movies, maps, music and apps could push even a 32G unit.

That's where the meenova micro SD adapter and nexus media importer comes in. With one 64gb micro sd card and 2 additional 32 GB micro cards, there's enough space for me to store the gps maps on the 32gb onboard memory and a good quantity of movies to take with me on the go with the small adapter. Not the ideal solution, but a very good option if you need expanded space to play media files.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seniorengineerdood