PIN Auto Reset itself

ForTheGlory

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I know this is going to sound like a total newb post, and like user error, but I want to preface my issue with this.... I have been an Android user for about 4 years, work tech support for Sprint, and have rooted and ROM'd a few devices. I only day this to show I'm not new to Android even if my question seems like it.

OK. I PIN lock my device's and have used the same PIN code for years. Today, I go to unlock my tablet, enter my PIN and get a wrong PIN error. I tried it multiple times in case I just hit the wrong # accidentally but no luck. Despite what it seems I have NOT forgotten my PIN. Anyone else had this happen? Any ideas?

A couple other things that may help. I use the restricted profiles and I'm the main profile. My son uses a pattern lock and at the same time my PIN reset, his Pattern was set to slide. I do know how to hard reset it, but prefer not to.

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I agree but if it really does reset on its own, then setting the PIN is also worthless.

Agree. But, I have PINs on my 10 or so Android devices and have never had them reset on their own. Was you PIN something really easy like 1-2-3-4. If so, it could have violated a updated guideline. Google and other companies sometimes increases security requirements such as requiring password with different cases and non alphanumeric characters.

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
Agree. But, I have PINs on my 10 or so Android devices and have never had them reset on their own. Was you PIN something really easy like 1-2-3-4. If so, it could have violated a updated guideline. Google and other companies sometimes increases security requirements such as requiring password with different cases and non alphanumeric characters.

I doubt they would increase their security requirements in a way that locks the guy out of his device, but who knows?

Last edited:

ForTheGlory

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for responding for those who did. It was not an easy PIN. I've used it on all my devices for approx 3 years. Either way, i turned on my Nexus 7 tonight after leaving it off for 24 hrs (like I thought that would help or something), and my PIN worked fine. Weirdest thing to ever happen to me using Android. I'm just glad i didn't jump straight to a hard reset.

The only thing i can think of that happen must have to do with the app Skiplock. I use it to bypass my lock code and turn it off when I'm connected to my home wifi. It's the only thing with permission to manipulate my PIN. I've been using it on my phone and tablet for about 3 months without problem. Oh well, disabling my PIN for a while, tablet only.

Posted via Android Central App

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
That is weird. I never had issues while using SkipLock.
Oh well, at least it's working again :)

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
The only thing i can think of that happen must have to do with the app Skiplock. I use it to bypass my lock code and turn it off when I'm connected to my home wifi. It's the only thing with permission to manipulate my PIN. I've been using it on my phone and tablet for about 3 months without problem. Oh well, disabling my PIN for a while, tablet only.

A did not know there was an app involved. Some glitch in the app would be my guess for the cause. Your disabling sounds like the way to go and should show whether the app could be a fault.

tektor

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
I have had the same experience, now twice. I'm an experienced software engineer, and have used the same pin for years, so I definitely didn't get it wrong. It does appear to be the result of a bug in SkipLock, and is mentioned in their FAQ, FAQ | Ben Hirashima. The advice there, using Android Device Manager, doesn't help, even if you have set it up beforehand. The only option I see is factory reset, again. :-( If anyone has new insight, I'd be interested to hear it.

Justin Atwell

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Edit: Solution in next post

Just had this issue start on my 2014 Moto X. I was using "Safe Areas" WiFi unlock app, so I have a feeling it has something to do with that. I have emailed the dev, but his website clearly states that the app doesn't read or set the PIN; it just enables/disables it. I don't think he's going to be of any help.

I will debate whether or not I am willing to leave the device off for 24 hours, as it is my daily driver (but I do have Google Voice for voicemail, so I would probably only miss SMS). But I know that may not even work, and was probably a fluke in your case.

Anyone else have any thoughts or suggestions since this was last discussed?

Last edited:

Justin Atwell

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Wow guys. Not 60 seconds later, I just tried with NO PIN, just hit Enter, and it worked. Hope this helps anyone else. I'm scared to continue using this app. :( For the Google indexer: blank pin pin reset no password no PIN SafeArea Safe Area SafeAreas Safe Areas can't unlock PIN no unlock disabled.

So, whatever glitch happened, it deactivated all my device Administrators, including the Safe Areas app, and Secure Settings which I use to lock the device with a swipe up (Apex Launcher + Tasker). All device administrators are deactivated.

All trusted Bluetooth devices (a new feature of Android) were erased.

Another edit: Now it won't let me change the PIN because in order to change your PIN, you have to confirm it to get into that section of Security. It won't let me hit Next on Confirm PIN screen unless I type something. LOL?? Researching.

Final Edit: Everything is back to normal. The Safe Areas app was able to reactivate and set my PIN back to the original number. I'm still debating whether to call it quits on this app or not, because now I know if it screws up how to fix it.

Last edited:

StElmo86

Dec 11, 2014
Visit site
I use Delayed Lock and just had this same issue. Thanks for the post about just hitting enter without entering a pin.

This same issue happened to me about a year ago after an update, but I was in the middle of web browsing and in a paranoid state of thinking I must have installed some sort of malware that locked me out of my phone, I wiped the device.

SO, to reiterate, after a Delayed Lock update, my phone's pin was reset to nothing, and hitting enter allowed me access.

klheyer

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
I just had a similar situation on my Nexus 9. I _think_ the situation arose because I noticed that Skiplock - which did not work with N9 initially - had nonetheless been installed automagically when apps were ported over from my N7/2013 device. I decided to remove Skiplock,but had to first set up a PIN for it before it would allow me to get to menu to uninstall. I set it to the same PIN I use with "Safe Places" mode, then completed the unintall.

Used the tablet a bit more, then got a phone call, closed the cover and left it alone. When I tried to use it again, I was prompted with the normal PIN challenge. Using the same PIN I've used since I purchased the N9, I now get a "Wrong PIN" message and am locked out after 5 tries. In my case at least, I think it's definitely related to SkipLock.

Jonas Graham

Mar 6, 2015
Visit site
This happened to me too! I did not have skip lock or anything. It just suddenly stopped liking my PIN, even though I would put it in correctly each time. ;)

I even tried sending new lock codes via Android Device Manager and even those wouldn't work!

I factory reset my phone. Kinda sucked that I had to do that, though...

Nathan Sobel

Jun 19, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for responding for those who did. It was not an easy PIN. I've used it on all my devices for approx 3 years. Either way, i turned on my Nexus 7 tonight after leaving it off for 24 hrs (like I thought that would help or something), and my PIN worked fine. Weirdest thing to ever happen to me using Android. I'm just glad i didn't jump straight to a hard reset.

It's not Skip lock.
This happened to me last night and I don't have that app.
The only apps I have like that are Quality Time and maybe my internet filter called Network.
I'm livid about this!
Anyone know what I can do?
I left my phone off until from last night until this morning in the hope it will help but nowt.
I even tried using ADM to change the unlock code but in sure you know how that went.

haydenridd

Jul 20, 2016
Visit site
Well at least I'm not the only one, thought I was losing it. I'm not sure if this is app specific or not since I don't have any of the apps you have mentioned although I do have Cerberus. I have a Galaxy S5 running Android 6.0.1 and I've had this sort of issue happen to me twice. The first time I had swipe pattern as my security. Randomly it decides one day the pattern I've been using for a year is wrong. No big deal, I enter my backup pin to get into the phone. Then, I attempt to set passcode security on my lock screen. Although I type in my pin twice, and it acts like this was successful, my screen has NOT been secured with a passcode lock and is the default unsecured lock screen. Now, infuriatingly, when I try to turn ON security it prompts me for a pin, which I enter correctly, but which it deems is incorrect. I booted to bios and factory reset my phone to solve this. Now today, the exact same thing happened except this time it decided my passcode was wrong to get into my phone. I used Cerberus to remote unlock my phone to get in. Has anyone found a reliable solution or root cause of this bug? Extremely annoying and more than a little troubling.

centrino77

Jul 28, 2016
Visit site
Man, crazy, it almost happened the same thing with me !
I have a S5 and Android 6.0.1 too!

To get into the phone I used my google account, then decied to set a pin code in case there is a bug in pattern lock.

To set a lock method as I want to protect my phone, I had to enter the pin which is still incorrect.

Apparently, the pin code bug exist since 2014 according to :
Galaxy'S Team - [BUG SERIEUX] SGS5, Déverrouillage par code PIN : IMPOSSIBLE
(in french and english), and it says a wipe data is enough, gonna try that ...

The bug pattern started by a 1 on 2 tries successful, then to no possible pattern so the 30s lock screen.

Too bad, after a long day debugging software far from home at a supplier site, I'm doomed.

Gonna try the pattern again, and if happen again, ll not set a pin code !

kirksucks

May 26, 2011
Visit site
just happened to my GF's S5 6.0.1 she needs her phone for work and would prefer to not factory reset. Will the Google Account Password work if you are not on Wifi?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781