Nexus 7 stuck on Google logo screen on boot up

queeniema

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

When I press the power button, it get stuck on the Google logo screen and won't move past it. I've tried going into the bootloader screen, but when I press Recovery mode, it just boots back up to the Google logo screen.

I tried to flash the stock image from Google's site, but I'm having trouble unlocking the bootloader. I'm on a Mac and have the adb/fastboot files in my current directory. I ran "./fastboot oem unlock" and on my Nexus, I accepted the changes. Afterwards the LOCK STATE says "unlocked". However, when I restart the bootloader (choosing "Restart bootloader" using the volume keys) it reverts back to "locked".

Help me please! Why is it doing this and how can I get it to stay unlocked? Thanks in advance.

AndroidProf

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Hi,
One thing that has been bothering me is that you said you chose Restart Bootloader. After the Lock State says unlocked try to use your volume keys to select 'Start' and click the power button to factory reset and reboot. If the problem persists, do tell so I can suggest a user made bootloader unlocking tool.

queeniema

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I tried clicking 'Start' as suggested, and all I see is the Google logo again. Also, I believe I wiped everything from the Nexus because if I press the volume buttons while on the stuck screen, I see the 'Start' -> 'Power off' -> 'Recovery mode' -> 'Restart bootloader' options like I do when I'm in the bootloader.2014-02-13 07.17.40.jpg

AndroidProf

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I will suggest that you try the AIO Nexus 7 Flo tool from XDA developers. I would have supplied you with a link, but it is against the forum rules.

Last edited:

Jesus Alvarado2

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
Hi!, I have the exact same problem, I tried unlocking it using toolkits, etc. but im stuck on the same screen asu you, with the google logo and the e 'Start' -> 'Power off' -> 'Recovery mode' -> 'Restart bootloader' options like I do when I'm in the bootloader. Please if you find a solution i?d really appreciate I have over a month with this problem.

riply

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I had the same issue and phoned Asus support. They gave me an RMA number and I sent it in to them for repair. Turned out to be the processor board was dead. Sent it in on a Monday ,they fixed it Tuesday and I received it via courier on Thursday. Of course since the memory is on the same board it means your data is gone too. Since it was warranty it only cost me the shipping to send it them.

Posted via Android Central App

Relly Angus

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site
When I press the power button, it get stuck on the Google logo screen and won't move past it. I've tried going into the bootloader screen, but when I press Recovery mode, it just boots back up to the Google logo screen.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

crimsonfalcon07

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
How many other people have had this issue?

I had this issue too. I contacted ASUS several times, and was given the runaround, before they finally told me I would need to send it in for repairs. I gave them my serial number and warranty card information, and was then issued an RMA. After following all instructions, I sent it into ASUS.

2 weeks later, I call them back, after having no response and no movement on the offered repairs, and have been told that it is out of warranty, despite the issued RMA, and they will not repair it unless I pay them 200 dollars. Bear in mind that my device has been bricked for 6 months, and they delayed issuing the RMA for more than a month. After checking my purchase date, it turns out that I was within warranty when I first contacted ASUS, and THEIR delay in calling me back is what puts this technically outside warranty. I'm outside warranty now by less than a month from when I shipped it after being issued the RMA, and would have been inside warranty by 3 months if they had provided service as requested when I first contacted them.

BE WARNED. I am currently awaiting a call-back from a supervisor. I'm VERY unimpressed, and seriously contemplating a lawsuit if they cannot resolve this to my satisfaction.

gdbusby

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
So I guess this is a thing now. I used my Nexus 7 the other day and it worked fine. I grabbed it that evening for some light reading and it just showed the Google logo. I've tried booting into recovery and doing an ADB sideload of the factory image and everything fails. All the errors I can actually get to show up are all saying that the device failed to mount every directory there is. (/cache, /data, /system) So is it becoming common that the controller board is failing?

Is there any way you could share the contact info to ASUS for me? Thanks

James Dunning1

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I have this problem as well. Just started yesterday. I have a first generation Nexus 7, purchased two years ago. Well out of warranty, but I have a real problem with paying $200 or more for repair; might as well get a new one.

By pressing the Power+Vol buttons, I can get into the Start/Restart Bootloader/Recovery mode/Power off selections, but the only one that does anything is "Power off": it actually prevents the tablet from trying to reboot (and freeze); all other options just go into the boot process and freeze on the Google logo.

AzD

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
I just received this joyous problem today. Randomly shut down while listening to Google Music, now I can't get this damn thing to turn on for the life of me. I have tried every "power button + volume + whatever" method I can find. Usually just hangs at the Google logo. I can occasionally get to the boot screen but it just ends up showing me an android flat on his back with a red triangle.

What a POS. Last Google device for me I think, this is nonsense. I am now 9 days out of warranty. For sure this is the last Asus product I will ever own.

crimsonfalcon07

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
For those looking for the contact, I strongly recommend you NOT call ASUS, but rather use the chat client, so you have a record of your communication with ASUS.

ASUS is refusing to honor the warranty on mine. They are claiming that, although they have documented that the device broke before the end of the warranty period, the warranty only applies relative to the date that they decide to issue an RMA and actually receive the device. Which means, you effectively only have about 10 months, and that's if you really stay on top of them. If it breaks within that period, and you don't get an RMA and ship it to them, they will claim it's out of warranty.

If you do get it to them within the period, they'll claim you dropped it or gave it water damage, and it's still out of warranty (that was the first excuse they gave me; I provided documentation that it was undamaged when I shipped it, and then they switched to the out of warranty BS).

ASUS has to be the worst company I've ever dealt with. They couldn't care less about their customers. I'm in the midst of a BBB claim, and will be filing a lawsuit to recover the money I've spent and lost dealing with them.

Ted Kapustin

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
I bought Nexus 7 (2013 edition) a year and 27 days ago. Yesterday it suddenly died, all my efforts to follow instructions on rebooting failed - I always ended up with Google logo displayed forever. The battery seems fully charged and . I contacted Google today and explained symptoms to them. They told me that the device is out of warranty and wanted to give me instructions on how to return it to ASUS for repairs. Then I said I was very frustrated and asked whether I should buy iPad Mini instead of my dead Nexus and write a bad review on Nexus 7. After that I was offered a free replacement. As the first step of this procedure I had to buy another Nexus 7. Then I will ship my dead Nexus to Google, and then they will (hopefully) reimburse me for the new one. I still feel frustrated. Never had such a bad experience with Apple products.

BenderMcLugh

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
Hey, so do you have a magentic closure case, and is it still on when you try this?

I didn't have any issues until I bought a new case (love the case), and then the boot loader issue as described here, Google words only no matter what.

I remove the case, and it powered on without issue.

I'm wondering if anyone else has seen something similar?

Richard Feinburg

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
I'm running the same issue too. I didn't got mind at the store or Google play. I got it on Craigslist over a year ago. It stop work over 2 weeks ago. I save over $80 when I got it which I got it with 32GB for $200 verse $280 when it came out at the time. Try to flash it in fastboot and it fail so I'm guessing it's a hardware issue.

It would not be a big issue if I could get the 2014 version of the Nexus 7 but it's being replace with the Nexus 9 and at a cost of $399. I can't see myself paying double for something that I could get a iPad Air 2 for $499 and it's an iPad. It's one of the reason by I got the Nexus 7 because $220 is not a lot and it will not make me regret it. $299 I could spend but $399 is just out of the range for my wallet.

Would should I do with replacing it from Asus or Google when getting it on Craigslist?

ka4wwv

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
Mine died just like it had lost the battery, no amount of charging would restore life. Replaced the battery and it now boots to Google a sits there. Did the power/volume routine and get a series of messages referencing E: can't mount and the very last message is again referencing E: where it can't mount due to an I/O error. Could this be an error with USB port and can't talk to an external device to restore some data? ASUS said it was the mother-board and $200 would fix it Not going to spend that kind of money on this device!!

Any suggestions?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Mine died just like it had lost the battery, no amount of charging would restore life. Replaced the battery and it now boots to Google a sits there. Did the power/volume routine and get a series of messages referencing E: can't mount and the very last message is again referencing E: where it can't mount due to an I/O error. Could this be an error with USB port and can't talk to an external device to restore some data? ASUS said it was the mother-board and $200 would fix it Not going to spend that kind of money on this device!!

Any suggestions?

Who replaced the battery? It's possible that during the replacement, something else was damaged on the motherboard. Maybe the the person didn't ground himself and zapped a chip or a circuit with static electricity. It sounds like the device is fried. You can get a refurbished 2013 Nexus 7 for under $200 now, so it's definitely not worth shelling out $200 to try to fix this one.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
You might be able to have a JTAG service revive it; depends on the exact error messages. I'd agree with B. Diddy that it's probably toast.