Nexus 7 In-Dash vehicle install, Nexus 5 Wireless Charging in car

Nick8539

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Hi all,

I finished my Nexus 7 tablet car install and just wanted to show you guys the finished product. Not sure if this is the right place to post.
I also mounted a Qi Charger for wireless charging by just dropping my phone in the Sunglass Holder area of the car.

The way it works is, I turn on the car, Tablet turns on, connects to my Nexus 5 Hotspot and to my bluetooth adapter. I am able to control the volume through the steering wheel controls. When I turn off the car, Tablet turns off (thanks to the command, see below). This way it ensures the tablet battery is always Full.

Here are some pics and instructions of my setup. Thanks!

PARTS

USB Car Charger
Metra Double Din Kit
Miccus Mini-Jax RX

NEXUS 7 SETUP

Root the tablet
Install Tasker to be able to:
- Power off tablet when not charging (tablet turns off when car is off)
- Use command - fastboot oem off-mode-charge 0 - (tablet turns on when car is on)
- Keep tablet awake
- Enable Wifi, Bluetooth
- Also created a custom Boot Animation when the tablet is powering on. You can see it in the video below.

Install Nova launcher to remove things like the Dock and have more control of the interface of your tablet.

NEXUS 5 SETUP

All I did was install Tasker and set it up to turn on Mobile Hotspot whenever the phone is Wireless charging. That way I just drop it in the sunglass holder and I can start tethering to the tablet.

PICS

DSC_0340.JPG

DSC_0345.JPG

DSC_0346.JPG

DSC_0349.JPG

DSC_0335.JPG

DSC_0350.JPG

DSC_0355.JPG

DSC_0357.JPG

THATS ALL FOLKS! If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

PS. Here is an older video of the setup. This is when I had the Head unit mounted under the driver seat which I did not like. I removed the faceplate off the Head Unit and was able to move the head unit in back of the tablet. This turned out to be a much cleaner install this way.

Last edited: