How much does Re-flashing help?

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Er. I come in peace from the Tab 3 forums. Recently someone was trolling and I ended up digging through figures responding to their issues. http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-tab-3/347777-galaxy-tab-3-good-school.html relic76 or something.

But this left me very curious...what are you more rational folks seeing in terms of performance or lag? Do the alternate firmware kits/Cyanogenmod really provide that rumored level of performance increase? Because until I started looking at the stock benchmark numbers more closely I did assume the N7 was at least a little faster...I only got my Tab 3 7.0 LTE because it was literally free at the time. :/

If there's some neat tricks up the N7's sleeve I may still end up buying one to play with. Thoughts?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Different ROMs don't increase a device's benchmark score on their own. You need one that allows for overcloking,
For devices like the Galaxy Tab 3, flashing something other than stock firmware can improve performance though, and that's mainly because TouchWiz makes performance worse than it should be considering the specs that we usually see on Samsung devices. A lot of custom ROMs perform very smooth in comparison to stock TW :)

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Different ROMs don't increase a device's benchmark score on their own. You need one that allows for overcloking,
For devices like the Galaxy Tab 3, flashing something other than stock firmware can improve performance though, and that's mainly because TouchWiz makes performance worse than it should be considering the specs that we usually see on Samsung devices. A lot of custom ROMs perform very smooth in comparison to stock TW :)

Wait. This leaves me confused. :/ Are you seriously telling me my 7.0 LTE should be even further ahead of the N7 than it already is? In benchmarks and in practical use? From what I'd read here and on XDA I was getting the impression that Google's stock ROM was holding back the N7 and causing performance losses, not the other way around.... @_@;;

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Wait. This leaves me confused. :/ Are you seriously telling me my 7.0 LTE should be even further ahead of the N7 than it already is? In benchmarks and in practical use? From what I'd read here and on XDA I was getting the impression that Google's stock ROM was holding back the N7 and causing performance losses, not the other way around.... @_@;;

No, it's Samsung's stock ROM that holds back their devices. TouchWiz has always been very resource heavy, so flashing an AOSP ROM would very like improve performance

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
No, it's Samsung's stock ROM that holds back their devices. TouchWiz has always been very resource heavy, so flashing an AOSP ROM would very like improve performance

Is that your own experience with your S4? 'Slimkat' it says.....

Anyways thanks for your perspective, I am feeling happier than ever about getting this little monster for free. :)

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

Anyways thanks for your perspective, I am feeling happier than ever about getting this little monster for free. :)

Yeah, but Samsung in general could be a lot better if they trimmed down TouchWiz. With the specs their devices have, they should be a lot smoother.
SlimKat is a lot better :)

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

I can verify the fact that TW lags. My S2 is on a stock ROM, and it lags often. My Tab 2 is on SlimKat like UJ95X, and it is much more smooth and lag free than the S2.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Hmm. If I can roll Dark Slim and ART on the T217S by release 1.8 or so without any of the reported issues that would be great. Can't really afford a 40% battery drop or broken data right now. Another reason to get myself an N7 just for a toy I suppose.

Aside from maybe watching a video with software decoding is there any reason to have a quad core right now?

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Not that I am aware of. I think all of my devices have had dual cores and have been fine.

Okay that's great. I feel like the core scaling on Krait 300 and Krait 400 chips is also way better than the S4 Krait classics. Just....Linpack for example. Less than 100pts single core, less than 250 quad core. VS 200+ single core, 350+ dual core? Yet the Snapdragon 600 in the Galaxy S4 wasn't great so maybe Qualcomm still has trouble scaling beyond dual core (clock up 30% benches up 40%). Average...certainly MX Player has done well with most of my Hi10p 720p subtitled stuff. No more transcoding on the PC with this tablet.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johndoe11