*Updated* - Thinking about a Nexus 7? Beware...

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Re: Thinking about a Nexus 7? Beware...

I only buy products from places that have good return policies because if I don't love it for any reason whatsoever it's going back. I feel bad for the OP and I'm sure a lesson has been learned. I like Asus motherboards and computer parts but their tablets have left me disappointed.

4 of IV

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site

Here's a question to the Amazon purchasers:

If you buy a Nexus 7 from Amazon and something goes wrong after their 30 day return policy, what is your recourse? Would you have to then deal with Asus, or does Amazon back you up for longer?

Been thinking about getting an LTE version, and Amazon would save me about $40 over Google Play, but I'd rather not deal with Asus directly if I don't have to. Thanks!

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

If you buy a Nexus 7 from Amazon and something goes wrong after their 30 day return policy, what is your recourse? Would you have to then deal with Asus, or does Amazon back you up for longer?

Been thinking about getting an LTE version, and Amazon would save me about $40 over Google Play, but I'd rather not deal with Asus directly if I don't have to. Thanks!

I might be worth the $40 (it definitely would be to me) to go through Google and not even have to wonder or ask that question.

4 of IV

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site

After 30 days your outta luck with amazon unless you buy the square trade warranty.
amazon is great though for out of the box defects.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site

I might be worth the $40 (it definitely would be to me) to go through Google and not even have to wonder or ask that question.

4 of IV

After 30 days your outta luck with amazon unless you buy the square trade warranty.
amazon is great though for out of the box defects.

Thanks to both of you.

Amazon doesn't cover anything at all after 30 days? Not even out of box, not user error, issues?

mset

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site

The retailer is the one that took your money and sold you the goods so your first recourse should be the retailer. The retailer is the one that presented the item as BNIB and implied that the device was operational. If it turns out that the device does not work the retailer should refund your money or provide you a new unit.

What do you do when you buy something from Amazon or Future Shop that turns out to be defective. Do you send it back to manufacturer or to retailer, Amazon or Future shop?
I understand your point about retailers, but I think that applies to brick and mortar retailers.

Nowadays, we are dealing with many types of retailing entities. Manufacturers as retailers, B & M stores, online retailers and there are other sources to buy BNIB unused items as well. In answer to your question about what I do when I buy something at Amazon or Future Shop, it depends what it is. If it's an Apple item, I contact Apple first. Same with Lenovo.

If a retailer sells you a BNIB device, are they really 'implying that it's operational'? I'm not so sure. How does a retailer know what's operational and what's not among the thousands of devices sitting on his shelves? Does he failure test 1 in every 25 units for every piece he sells in order to maintain a database of potential failure rate? Of course not. The retailer is a conduit between the manufacturer and the buyer. Ultimate responsibility for a product lies with the manufacturer, not the retailer.

Big box stores like Future Shop or Amazon (very big box) provide returns as a courtesy, and that's great. But the primary responsibility for a piece of gear is the maker, in my view.

In this case, there's a weird thing going on where the 'maker' Google contracted the making of the unit out to a hardware sub-contractor, who is now also selling the unit on a retail level! But it's still a Google tablet.

mset

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site

I'm not sure what the hardware manufacturer is meant to do other than what they did in this case, offer to repair it.
If it's brand new and it doesn't work out of the box, they are meant to replace it and pay for the shipping necessary. This is self-evident.

The shipping label thing is your responsibility because you are the owner of that property and you have no warranty
I have no warranty if I deal with certain companies. In this case, as I stated, I made the mistake of assuming that I would be dealt with by Google in the same way as I was dealt with the last time by Google - that is, I assumed they would warranty replace my defective unit and pay for all shipping like they did the last time.

If I have a garage sale, and you buy an old toaster from my sale, and find out it only burns toast, if I'm nice you'll get a refund from me. The company who made the toaster has long since washed their hands of the toaster because the toaster has had a life of its own, so to speak, since leaving them.

Unfortunately, this example has nothing to do with the situation we are talking about. We're talking about a piece of hardware that is still under warranty.

I think you have an unrealistic expectation set of what you're owed in the world.
I think I have an altogether reasonable expectation that if I pay $200 for a tablet, I am owed a tablet that works when I unbox it. Not a refurb to replace a brand new defective $200 tablet, and not a bill for shipping the defective tablet back to the people that made it.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

In this case, there's a weird thing going on where the 'maker' Google contracted the making of the unit out to a hardware sub-contractor, who is now also selling the unit on a retail level! But it's still a Google tablet.

I think this is contrary to how they look at it. Google is supplying the Nexus software and has design input, but the Nexus devices are made by OEM's who bid on the right to make it. This is fully an Asus tablet that Google has an outlet to sell (the Play Store). If you buy from Best Buy and Best Buy's return/repair policy doesn't cover something, you deal with Asus 100% of the time. The only circumstance that Google becomes involved is if the product was purchased directly from Google. In this way, I think it's more accurate to put Google in same place as Amazon (the retailer) in your example, with ultimate hardware responsibility falling back to Asus if the retailer or reseller (Google, Staples, Verizon, Game Stop, Best Buy, etc) isn't able to resolve through their normal processes.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

I think I have an altogether reasonable expectation that if I pay $200 for a tablet, I am owed a tablet that works when I unbox it. Not a refurb to replace a brand new defective $200 tablet, and not a bill for shipping the defective tablet back to the people that made it.
You are entitled to a new device exchange during the return period. After that, you would have to go through warranty service.

If you feel that the nexus 7 warranty does not meet your warranty expectations then perhaps you should choose a device that does

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site

If it's brand new and it doesn't work out of the box, they are meant to replace it and pay for the shipping necessary. This is self-evident.

I have no warranty if I deal with certain companies. In this case, as I stated, I made the mistake of assuming that I would be dealt with by Google in the same way as I was dealt with the last time by Google - that is, I assumed they would warranty replace my defective unit and pay for all shipping like they did the last time.

Unfortunately, this example has nothing to do with the situation we are talking about. We're talking about a piece of hardware that is still under warranty.

The toaster could theoretically still be under warranty. Perhaps it was a wedding gift and they got eight of them and sold six. You don't have the receipt so you can't return to Macy's, but the manufacturer isn't going to honor the warranty either because you bought secondhand. Your only recourse is returning to the house that had the garage sale and saying you sold me a piece of crap.

And therein lies the problem. Things don't work that way any more and haven't for a long time. Even with Apple. Once you are past the retailer and on to the manufacturer, they only have to give you a working refurbished unit. I've had this happen with an iPod that wouldn't hold a charge but missed Best Buy's 14-days and read any phone forum here and you'll see the same thing. Its like once you drive a car off the lot it is now used. (Example doesn't work as well since there are actual laws to protect car purchases but mainly because they were operating the same way.)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

xchange

Banned
Dec 15, 2013
Visit site

Sigh. I almost made it a full year without reading a post where someone referred to a company by their stock market name.

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site

I think this is contrary to how they look at it. Google is supplying the Nexus software and has design input, but the Nexus devices are made by OEM's who bid on the right to make it. This is fully an Asus tablet that Google has an outlet to sell (the Play Store). If you buy from Best Buy and Best Buy's return/repair policy doesn't cover something, you deal with Asus 100% of the time. The only circumstance that Google becomes involved is if the product was purchased directly from Google. In this way, I think it's more accurate to put Google in same place as Amazon (the retailer) in your example, with ultimate hardware responsibility falling back to Asus if the retailer or reseller (Google, Staples, Verizon, Game Stop, Best Buy, etc) isn't able to resolve through their normal processes.

Google has their name on this tablet. They are much more than just a retailer. These are google nexus 7's. That's how they are marketed and known to all. I agree with original poster.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Google has their name on this tablet. They are much more than just a retailer. These are google nexus 7's. That's how they are marketed and known to all. I agree with original poster.

I agree. This is a Google branded device and so they are considered the manufacturer. Technically apple doesn't manufacture their devices either, Foxconn does.

Or as an example I have a corsair and antec psus on my computers manufactured by seasonic, just slapped with a corsair or antec logo. Any warranty issues that may arise should go back to corsair or antec, not seasonic.

But regardless, Google chose not to do it this way. As always the warranty terms are what dictates who does the servicing. Google clearly indicates that asus does the servicing unless bought through Google

ry8ave6e.jpg

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Thanks to both of you.

Amazon doesn't cover anything at all after 30 days? Not even out of box, not user error, issues?

Their formal policy is 30 days. However should you be at 31 days, amazon may grant an exception. Doesn't hurt to ask. Also keep in mind that there can be other restrictions. Like phones bought on contract can be returned within 30 days but your contract is locked after 14 days on Verizon

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU3512012

anon(8149402)

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site

Really? When I look at the back I see Asus Nexus, not Google Nexus. Don't see Google until boot up.

Posted via Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae