*Updated* - Thinking about a Nexus 7? Beware...

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Someone doesn't understand how Service/Support/Warranty contracts work and that they can be different between companies. (hint: it's not NothingIsTrue) (another hint: Apple providing a certain level of support does not mean that other companies are obligated to do the same thing) (third hint: all the answers to your questions/concerns are actually in your OP)

Unrelated: Sometimes people just have a bad experience. You can either dwell on it or move on and try again.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I know when I purchase a product and have a problem with it right out of the box I go right back to the retailer, who most likely has some sort of exchange/return policy and would be more than happy to exchange a defective product. That might be trickier with an online retailer, but it seems that a good place to start would be with the company that charged your credit card for the transaction.

xchange

Banned
Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
Good question. The answer is no. My whole contention from the beginning has been that I expected more *because of* the Google Nexus connection or in my mind the Google Android connection.

This is what I meant. To answer the rest of your post, I think at this point Google isn't mature enough from a hardware aspect for what you were hoping for. Apple has a huge lead there. On the other hand, Google services and prices are a compelling counterpoint.

I can only say that I'm much more satisfied with the Nexus 7 than I would've been with an iPad, even though I did also have to make 2 returns at Bestbuy.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Re: Thinking about a Nexus 7? Beware...

. iBlanks are mostly consumption devices and you should really give a little kid something that allows them to grow.

Couldn't disagree with this opinion more. There's a reason you see 'iBlanks' in educational and commercial circles more so than Nexus 7's, G Pad 8.3's, Galaxy Tabs, or any of the other competition. I don't believe its because or ignorance or marketing either.

via the phone

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

Couldn't disagree with this opinion more. There's a reason you see 'iBlanks' in educational and commercial circles more so than Nexus 7's, G Pad 8.3's, Galaxy Tabs, or any of the other competition. I don't believe its because or ignorance or marketing either.

via the phone

Part of it is definitely marketing and sales skills. The other part is apps. Apple got the publishers of school books on board early with iBooks. That was huge.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

Part of it is definitely marketing and sales skills. The other part is apps. Apple got the publishers of school books on board early with iBooks. That was huge.

Yeahs.

Honest story though, cute to me, but perhaps only loosely related.... I sold my 4-year old's iPad 3 (he pretty much annexed it upon its arrival in our home) because the battery was giving out and gave him my G Pad 8.3. Much newer. Some here would say 'much better'. He constantly wants an iPad back and I can't get him to articulate just why. It's non-sensical to me. The best answer I get is "Because I do." Now perhaps it's just because the iPad was larger. I'm still trying to figure it out.

via the phone

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site

Their only plausible advantage that would have mattered was battery life, and that's pretty much gone now. For educational software it's definitely easier to support just iOS without broadening the field, but they could just as easily have done the same thing with netbooks - and some have. Similar weight and similar or lower cost, Windows development target, Windows group policy and deep permission hacks all very well documented, MUCH more storage for things like video tutorials that don't clog up the wifi.

And honestly I haven't seen a lot of incentive plans in place from other manufacturers trying to break into education either. Which seems like a big lost market potential and not anything to do with Apples being better. My Tab 3 7.0 LTE with 4.2.2 has richer typing, richer media playback, unified management support and VPN support. It can be set up to tunnel back to a school network from most outside internet connections and everything.

And when you look at the software installed by schools and companies there is no 'creative' aspect to it. Mostly books, catalogs, a cost calculator for replacing your carpet....heck if someone needs a stylus they mostly reach past Android to pay $1000+ for a Windows device even now.

I maintain that Apple charges too much on average, and I also maintain from the beginning that Android devices need some better options in the $500+ bracket such as with premium support for those who feel they need it. These are not incompatible ideas.

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site

Yeahs.

Honest story though, cute to me, but perhaps only loosely related.... I sold my 4-year old's iPad 3 (he pretty much annexed it upon its arrival in our home) because the battery was giving out and gave him my G Pad 8.3. Much newer. Some here would say 'much better'. He constantly wants an iPad back and I can't get him to articulate just why. It's non-sensical to me. The best answer I get is "Because I do." Now perhaps it's just because the iPad was larger. I'm still trying to figure it out.

Not trying to say anything about your child but if they're four years old and have only known one device this should not be a surprise. It's like you just took Blankie away. Now the little bugger needs to re learn a lot of basic things and that is probably frustrating. However in the end it will probably be a positive experience.

What kind of programs did the child use on the iPad?

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site

I wish I had the time and/or the inclination. But I'm not a tech expert like you guys. I just want my gear to work. And just as a final thought, I usually spend a premium to get gear that works. In this case, I was buying the brand - again, the brand that *is* Android, right?

Vanilla android tastes like vanillin ;)

And the thrust of this is a subjective gap. I have founds problems where the iOS devices do not work and can not be made to work no matter what. I feel that Nexus branded devices ship too 'bare' and require tinkering to be useful at all. I have been buying Android devices that ship with unique features, multiple keyboards, richer media playback, and can be modified more deeply where and when the need arises. Heck if you really want something more Googly you should look at the Moto X modular device initiative or the Glass project, not the Gateway PC.

mikemike162012

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site

After my failed attempt to have my tablet repaired by Asus repair center which flatly denied there was any problem, I would suggest others not to buy this piece or crap device and be sorry later.

mset

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site

And the thrust of this is a subjective gap. I have founds problems where the iOS devices do not work and can not be made to work no matter what. Heck if you really want something more Googly you should look at the Moto X modular device initiative or the Glass project, not the Gateway PC.
In fact I am writing from an iPad right now. I was looking for an alternative because of problems I'm having with it (specifically, intermittent WiFi connectivity). I spent a lot of time trying to make it work and there's nothing that can be done without paying Apple $149 or whatever it is, apparently. So I agree about iOS.

I'll definitely check into the upper echelon of Android devices before bailing out altogether. I did play with a Surface Pro last night and I have to say - I liked that keyboard. Now to research whether add-on keyboards for other tablets are as good.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Not trying to say anything about your child but if they're four years old and have only known one device this should not be a surprise. It's like you just took Blankie away. Now the little bugger needs to re learn a lot of basic things and that is probably frustrating. However in the end it will probably be a positive experience.

What kind of programs did the child use on the iPad?

Games mostly, he's a game fanatic, educational and non-sensical games alike. He's plays them once and then wants a new one so we only go with the free ones. To be honest, I think the games we're talking about may have been richer in iOS but I kinda doubt he can really pick up on that at 4.25 years old, maybe he can. ...and to be fair, Daddy now uses and iPad so he may just be seeing that I have this thing he used to have and wants.

...but I thought the G Pad 8.3 was a KILLER device and that he'd love it and he's growing to like it more and more, but when I brought home the iPad, he literally just took it, annexed it, and took it over and was off and running. I had to go and buy another tablet for myself (I know, I'm a rotten stupid dumb parent who will pay dearly in the future, but I love the little bugger).

via the tablet

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I personally cannot stand Asus. The products they make are buggy and always seem to plagued by problems. Neither Google, or Asus have quality customer service in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke