7yr old Nexus (2012) or (2013)

mellow_kat

May 2, 2014
Visit site
I am looking to purchase a Google Nexus for my 7yr old. I am debating between the 2013 or 2012. She will mostly be using it for Youtube, Netflix, Minecraft, and other gaming apps. Should I go with the better screen resolution with the 2013 because of viewing videos or does it really matter for a 7yr old. I am also cautious about getting an older device and not being able to get updates several months down the road. Thanks!

raichur0xx0rz

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
I am looking to purchase a Google Nexus for my 7yr old. I am debating between the 2013 or 2012. She will mostly be using it for Youtube, Netflix, Minecraft, and other gaming apps. Should I go with the better screen resolution with the 2013 because of viewing videos or does it really matter for a 7yr old. I am also cautious about getting an older device and not being able to get updates several months down the road. Thanks!

- Given that most of the video content will be streamed, the extra resolution may not really be necessary, especially, as you said, for a 7 year old.

- Both tablets will still receive support, but I would say the 2013 will get perhaps an extra year of updates compared to the 2012 model.

That being said, I would recommend going for the 2013 Nexus 7. It does have more updated internals which is preferred when it comes to gaming, and the updated design is good for that as well. There have also been a few hardware issues with 2012 models, and buying a used one at this point may not be the best idea. It is a good budget option, however, and the issues are not widespread.

And kids like to take pictures, so having a camera on the back might be fun :)

machzk

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
The 2013. I have the 2012 and it is not a good tablet, especially the build quality. It also gets rather slow even after all the updates, this considering I have a late build model. Considering it is for a child the 2013 version would hold up much better.

Sent from my Moto X...

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Considering the tablet will be for a 7 year old, I would recommend the 2012. I generally feel that a young child doesn't really need cutting edge technology, as long as there is a cheaper version that works fine. I don't think build would be a big concern, because I'd strongly recommend a good case regardless.

Posted via Android Central App.
Please excuse any typos or autocorrect derps.

parchping

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Get the 2012 and use the savings to buy a good case. I ended up with the Seidio Dilex case for my 2013. Not cheap, but it is well made. The cover works pretty nicely as an angle stand.

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I was in this situation with my similarly aged son last fall [Though he was using his own $$]. We went with the 2013 32GB.

THings to consider

• CHARGING. Both models have Wired micro USB charging. the 2012 has a wired magnetic charger, the 2013 has Qi wireless charging. My son has done fine using the micro USB but I sometimes wonder how well it will hold up after anoterh years use.
  • VIDEO OUT: I can't recall what Video out the 2012 has, but the 2013 requires a slimport adapter. I also seem to recall one of the models will not support wi-fi direct/miracast but I could be mistaken.
  • RAM. the 2013 has double the RAM at 2GB this will come into play in newer apps as the years progress.
  • CAMERA, the 2013 has rear & front cameras the 2012 only has a front facing camera. My son loves to snap pictyures of things.

Finally I always recomend you go with the largest storage option so make sure you get the 32GB.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance