An open letter to the individual in possession of my N7 LTE

BizzyGeek

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I don't know who you are or what kind of person you are, but I want you to know who I am. I saved up from July until November to buy that tablet. I'm not poor, but I'm definitely not rich. That device is literally one of the nicest things that I own. I have a 2 year old and one on the way. I work a decent job, but between my mortgage and daycare, it's already a very tight squeeze. I have no idea how I'm going to make it work once the next kid arrives. I have a salaried job that is maybe the most tedious grunt work in the world. And I work a ton of hours. There's no OT; I just work to make ends meet.

I CANNOT afford to replace that tablet. You can rationalize however you want, but you have acquired that device at my expense. And maybe it's not a necessity, but it's still injurious to me. I'm no saint but I'm not a bad guy, and I know I don't deserve this. God willing, someday you'll have kids of your own. And if you do, I'm sure you'll want to be able to look them in the eye when you tell them to be good, decent and honest people. Please do the right thing. Please give me back what's mine. Thank you much.

BG

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I don't know who you are or what kind of person you are, but I want you to know who I am. I saved up from July until November to buy that tablet. I'm not poor, but I'm definitely not rich. That device is literally one of the nicest things that I own. I have a 2 year old and one on the way. I work a decent job, but between my mortgage and daycare, it's already a very tight squeeze. I have no idea how I'm going to make it work once the next kid arrives. I have a salaried job that is maybe the most tedious grunt work in the world. And I work a ton of hours. There's no OT; I just work to make ends meet.

I CANNOT afford to replace that tablet. You can rationalize however you want, but you have acquired that device at my expense. And maybe it's not a necessity, but it's still injurious to me. I'm no saint but I'm not a bad guy, and I know I don't deserve this. God willing, someday you'll have kids of your own. And if you do, I'm sure you'll want to be able to look them in the eye when you tell them to be good, decent and honest people. Please do the right thing. Please give me back what's mine. Thank you much.

BG

May I ask what happened?

Scott99

May 27, 2010
Visit site
Are you sure a thief frequents this message board ? I do feel very sorry for you, if someone stole my iPhone or my 2013 Nexus 7, I'd be lost and very upset. Hopefully things work out for you. I don't know what your tablet cost, but maybe we can get 40 members to donate $10 each, and then you can buy another.

BizzyGeek

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the kind words. Not sure if this person will ever read it, but I figured I'd give it a shot.
Appreciate the thought but I'm really not looking for anybody's charity, just to recover what belongs to me.

Sent from my XT1060 using AC Forums mobile app

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Sorry to hear it. Unfortunately, there are a lot of scum around. Hopefully you will fall upon some unexpected money so that you can buy a replacement

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Kilroy13

Banned
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
(edited by Moderator) Theifs everywhere, got to watch your stuff like a hawk!

Sent from my G-Flex........Life is Good!✌

Last edited by a moderator:

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Moderator Note: please keep things on a polite manner.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, that totally stinks. Just curious, was Android Device Manager activated on your Nexus 7? You could see if you can track it here: https://www.google.com/android/devicemanager

It won't work if GPS, wifi, and LTE are all off. And it also wouldn't work if the N7 has already been factory reset. But lots of thieves are total dumbwads and don't know to do that, so maybe you can locate it that way ...

BizzyGeek

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
There was actually quite a bit of sensitive data on the device and in the accounts to which it had access, including work stuff, so the tablet was encrypted and pin protected. Consequently none of the data was compromised, however the device was factory reset.

Yeah, that totally stinks. Just curious, was Android Device Manager activated on your Nexus 7? You could see if you can track it here: https://www.google.com/android/devicemanager

It won't work if GPS, wifi, and LTE are all off. And it also wouldn't work if the N7 has already been factory reset. But lots of thieves are total dumbwads and don't know to do that, so maybe you can locate it that way ...

xchange

Banned
Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
There was actually quite a bit of sensitive data on the device and in the accounts to which it had access, including work stuff, so the tablet was encrypted and pin protected. Consequently none of the data was compromised, however the device was factory reset.

If it was also protected with adm then unless he or she is tech savvy you'd at least turn it into a brick on them and possibly have a location for the police to attempt

Sent from my C6906 using Tapatalk

BizzyGeek

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
how did that happen, and where did it happen?
Went over to a friends house and stopped at a show in the way home (by cab as I was far from sober). Otherwise I would never take it out to such a place but didn't have much choice. Anyway, bad decisions on my part all around that night. I was sitting down and set it down in front of me (got distracted - still not sober) and got up. I walked downstairs from where I had been sitting. I remembered almost as soon as I made it down the stairs, 20 or 30 seconds later at most, but by the time I got back up it was gone baby gone. I asked every person working there and every random person I ran into but whoever picked it up obviously had no intention of returning the thing.