Nexus 7 (2013) Why does the google app use so much of your battery?

Terrorizer

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys, overall I have been happy with how long my battery lasts in my nexus 7, but just for fun I was taking a look at what apps use the most battery. I saw that besides the screen and youtube, the google app used the most battery. I was wondering why this was? I dont ever tap the google app icon, although I do often google things. Is it just measuring the battery used when searching for something on google? Does using voice to text use more batter? Any info would be appreciated.

Also, I have made most of the obvious tweaks to extend battery life, turning gps location off, turning wifi off, etc.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Any analysis of battery life starts with the following three screenshots from the Battery view
banepysy.jpg
pa8esedu.jpg
u6yjemyt.jpg
Be sure the device started fully charged and let it get down below 40% before recording your data, with no intermediate charge cycles.
If there's a particular app that you're concerned about also capture the data from that app.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Are you talking about Google+ or Google Search? I agree with GSDer, it would help to see screenshots of your battery stats.

Posted via Android Central App.
Please excuse any typos or autocorrect derps.

Terrorizer

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Are you talking about Google+ or Google Search? I agree with GSDer, it would help to see screenshots of your battery stats.

Its Google search

- - - Updated - - -

Its Google search

Terrorizer

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Be sure the device started fully charged and let it get down below 40% before recording your data, with no intermediate charge cycles.
If there's a particular app that you're concerned about also capture the data from that app.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

I'll post screenshots after I fully charge my battery and let it run back down, thank you.

Terrorizer

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Would using voice to text show up as google search? I'm thinking thats what it is, I use the microphone instead of the keyboard a lot when I'm on facebook messenger or in chat rooms.

I'll post battery screen shots when my battery is lower.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Interesting question. The 2013 N7 has an always listening feature when you're on the Google Now screen, and Google Now is essentially Google Search. So I wonder if there's some cross-activation when you're using other voice features. Try going to Google Settings>Search & Now>Voice, and turn off "Ok Google" hotword detection. See if that makes it any better.

Terrorizer

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Any analysis of battery life starts with the following three screenshots from the Battery viewhttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/02/banepysy.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/02/pa8esedu.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/02/u6yjemyt.jpgBe sure the device started fully charged and let it get down below 40% before recording your data, with no intermediate charge cycles.

View attachment 121243
View attachment 121244
Screenshot_2014-06-02-18-04-30.jpg

Last edited:

Terrorizer

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site

Heres the last pic, Screenshot_2014-06-02-18-04-54.jpg, like a moron, I took a screen shot of the screen's battery useage instead of google search. I had a brain fart, I was re-reading your suggestion before I took the screen shots so I took the same screen shots as you.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I took a screen shot of the screen's battery useage instead of google search.
We always want a screenshot of the Screen On details to see how much actual screen on time there was; the Google Search screenshot would also be helpful since that's what you were concerned about.

From the History details it looks like your Awake and Screen On times overlap almost identically, which is good. Wi-Fi was on the whole time - you could probably save some juice by enabling sleep mode, unless you rely on background syncing when the tablet is asleep.

You got 6 solid hours of Screen On time, which seems decent (don't know what your brightness settings are like); I usually only get about 4 hours of XCOM before the battery is at 15%.

Terrorizer

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
We always want a screenshot of the Screen On details to see how much actual screen on time there was; the Google Search screenshot would also be helpful since that's what you were concerned about.

From the History details it looks like your Awake and Screen On times overlap almost identically, which is good. Wi-Fi was on the whole time - you could probably save some juice by enabling sleep mode, unless you rely on background syncing when the tablet is asleep.

You got 6 solid hours of Screen On time, which seems decent (don't know what your brightness settings are like); I usually only get about 4 hours of XCOM before the battery is at 15%.

My brightness is turned down pretty low. Overall I'm happy with my battery life. Under normal useage I can generally easily get through an entire day on a full charge. I just noticed when I started using voice to text a lot the battery would get used much faster, I wanted to make sure it was normal. Like I said before, I'm assuming thats why the google search usage was so high. I didn't use voice to text as much when for this charge, but when i use it a lot google search can be over 20% of the battery useage. I guess it makes sense though, processing sound and turning it into text seems like it would be a lot of work for the tablet.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
6.5 hours of screen time is quite good. Keep in mind that the 8-9 hour battery life that is quoted is typically from tests of watching streaming video straight through, without doing anything else at all. If you're not switching apps and doing other various processes, you're going to get better battery life, but that's not real world use.

physioprof

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
6.5 hours of screen time doing mixed stuff: Web surfing, e-mail, playing with other apps, etc, is pretty reasonable.

Sent from my VS980 4G using AC Forums mobile app

Terrorizer

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Overall I am happy with the battery life. I was just curious why google search was using so much of it. I think its because I was using voice to text and surfing a lot. Generally I only use my tablet for casting videos to my tv with the screen off so the battery lasts much longer. I realize now that the reason my battery was draining faster is that I have been using my tablet a lot more lately.