Chrome mobile android now has cast tab for some videos (not beta)

Terrorizer

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
I'm sure a lot of you already know this, but I just learned this and haven't seen much about this online. The latest update of chrome that happened last week or so added a cast tab to android mobile for some videos. I'm not talking about new chromecast apps, I mean videos that are posted on websites. I'm not talking the beta version, I mean regular chrome.

So far I have tried vice.com and and nhl.com and both worked great.. Its funny because I was on vice.com last night on my nexus 7 and was surprised when I saw a cast tab pop up in the corner of the video. I clicked it and it worked, I thought it might have been a video reposted from youtube but now I know why, haha.

I'm so happy, I've been waiting for this for a long time. Its funny I finally broke down and downloaded chrome beta earlier today to experiment with it only to find out it was just added to regular chrome, haha.

I'm going to experiment with other websites and see what else works. I will post my findings here. Feel free to contribute your findings as well.

Its funny, Ive wanted this for a long time but I'm so used to only being able to cast youtube and netflix I'm drawing a blank on other websites that I've wanted to cast videos from, haha.

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm sure a lot of you already know this, but I just learned this and haven't seen much about this online. The latest update of chrome that happened last week or so added a cast tab to android mobile for some videos. I'm not talking about new chromecast apps, I mean videos that are posted on websites. I'm not talking the beta version, I mean regular chrome.

So far I have tried vice.com and and nhl.com and both worked great.. Its funny because I was on vice.com last night on my nexus 7 and was surprised when I saw a cast tab pop up in the corner of the video. I clicked it and it worked, I thought it might have been a video reposted from youtube but now I know why, haha.

I'm so happy, I've been waiting for this for a long time. Its funny I finally broke down and downloaded chrome beta earlier today to experiment with it only to find out it was just added to regular chrome, haha.

I'm going to experiment with other websites and see what else works. I will post my findings here. Feel free to contribute your findings as well.

Its funny, Ive wanted this for a long time but I'm so used to only being able to cast youtube and netflix I'm drawing a blank on other websites that I've wanted to cast videos from, haha.

Yup I've noticed that for about two weeks now. Like you said, right after the update. I don't however like the format of the video player. It used to take you to like an actual video player for most videos when you hit the expand button. But now it just keeps you on the internet and its super clunky. I think that's the HTML video or something maybe?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Terrorizer

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Yup I've noticed that for about two weeks now. Like you said, right after the update. I don't however like the format of the video player. It used to take you to like an actual video player for most videos when you hit the expand button. But now it just keeps you on the internet and its super clunky. I think that's the HTML video or something maybe?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Yeah its definitely clunky at this point, I'm sure it will get refined with time. I love chromecast so I'm always happy when I find new uses for it. Its nice to get some variety, I can only take so much youtube and netflix, haha. Plus I only use it with my tablet. Its awkward to use a laptop on the couch, i bought my tablet specifically to control my chromecast. I hope they eventually have a cast tab for the actual mobile browser like they do for the pc version.

Going to different websites trying to test videos to cast was a sad reminder how much of a pain it is not having flash for my tablet. I'll have to get around to puting it on my nexus. I'm surprised they didn't make a bigger deal out of this, I haven't found much info about it online.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs