Nexus 7 (2013) long term use. Would you still recommend it ?

motorcycle_monkey

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
I love my device, but I get touch issues far more often than I should. I get random reboots, but can live with those. I thought about sending it in to have it serviced under warranty, but use it a lot, daily, and have heard others doing this and getting it back with the same issues. If I wanted to replace it though, I would buy another Nexus 7 FHD. Unless they come out with another Nexus tablet this year that is still 7 inches. It fits in the hand comfortably, the screen is amazing and the performance is great!

Oh, and I got mine the day they released in stores.

cribble2k

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
I've had mine since December (7 months) and never had any issues. I have the 32gb WiFi version.

Posted via Android Central App

dc9super80

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
You guys are current owners and love the device. But would you recommend it right now, at this stage in the game? Or would it be wiser to wait on a possible successor.

motorcycle_monkey

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
You guys are current owners and love the device. But would you recommend it right now, at this stage in the game? Or would it be wiser to wait on a possible successor.

Yes. If I were to buy another tablet right now, I would buy another Nexus 7 FHD. Maybe the LTE though. I am not into Samsung, so, while theirs may be newer tech, there is nothing wrong with what the Nexus 7 has.

ziffos

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I have owned both and still have the 3G LTE version - never had an issue with either.
The Nexus 7 (2013) is a true beauty.

mattmatt299

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
I thought about waiting for the successor. But the rumors are that the Nexus 8 will be around $400. So instead I upgraded from the 1st gen to the 2nd gen Nexus 7 for $140 open box off ebay. I just don't want to spend $400 my small tablet (I often surf on my iPad while watching podcasts on the Nexus).

The 2nd gen Nexus 7 is a huge improvement over the first gen. There is very little battery drain in standby, the screen is much much better, and the device is very responsive. I think its a great deal at the $140 mark and can't be beat.

maxburn

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Had mine for a long time and it's an excellent tablet marred only by touch screen issues and the LTE model not really being a nexus device with delayed updates and left out of L preview. At the moment I'm feeling like the browser could be a lot faster, it's pretty well shamed even by my nexus 5. The hardware is fairly well dated, keep in mind this has a lot in common with the Nexus 4.

I'd wait till spring for the next one if you didn't need one now but if you really need/want it's still a good device. Skip LTE and consider used?

blackguard

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
Maybe. Mine competes pound for pound extremely well against the iPad mini retina in our house and I've always been very pleased with it. I said maybe because I upgrade my tech annually. If I didn't already own this tablet I would more than likely not buy until the Fall tablets are out to see what's cooking in the pure Google sub-$400 tablet space. I'm also likely going to be upping my screen size too, I'm pretty much over the mini tablet phase. Using this for too long gives me blurry vision for about 5 min when I set it down. Probably have to increase my price limit.

At this stage in the game, my next tablet will have to have either Android L already on it or be a Nexus/Silver so it gets it right away.

dc9super80

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
Maybe. Mine competes pound for pound extremely well against the iPad mini retina in our house and I've always been very pleased with it. I said maybe because I upgrade my tech annually. If I didn't already own this tablet I would more than likely not buy until the Fall tablets are out to see what's cooking in the pure Google sub-$400 tablet space. I'm also likely going to be upping my screen size too, I'm pretty much over the mini tablet phase. Using this for too long gives me blurry vision for about 5 min when I set it down. Probably have to increase my price limit.

At this stage in the game, my next tablet will have to have either Android L already on it or be a Nexus/Silver so it gets it right away.

Thanks for your response. Though its tempting because I don't currently have a tablet, I think it is worth the wait to see what everyone brings to the table this fall.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your response. Though its tempting because I don't currently have a tablet, I think it is worth the wait to see what everyone brings to the table this fall.

I agree. I'm excited to see the tablets that come out for this holiday season. I am probably going pick up a new toy to supplement my nexus 7 and Sgt 3 8.0
Notice I said supplement and not replace. ;)

mrmoe110

Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
I had the 2012 Nexus 7 then my wife bought me the 2013 edition for Christmas and I gave her the older one. I think they built the 2013 Nexus 7 with a far better shelf life than the first one. I got the 2012 almost a year after it came out and I noticed little lags then. My wife complains that it's dreadfully slow now. But a year into the 2013 Nexus 7 life and it's still lightning fast.

So I would say, yeah, it's still a good buy.

blackguard

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
Visit site

No problem ☺
There's just one thing I wanted to add to my earlier post. I did some side by side comparison with the mini retina yesterday and noticed there is just a tiny hint of occasional stutter the N7 shows when you quickly rotate the screen between portrait and landscape whereas the mini has literally zero stutter or delay.
So I decided to make a project out of eliminating it. The closest I could get was to uninstall Zooper widgets and limit my home screen to one clock/weather widget and turn on developer options to lower transition times to 0.5.
It should be noted that ART will mostly close the gap between ios7 and Android on this front on the next version and a regular user isn't even going to notice it let alone care because it's so miniscule. I'm pretty OCD when it comes to UI speeds and transitions.

dc9super80

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
No problem ☺
There's just one thing I wanted to add to my earlier post. I did some side by side comparison with the mini retina yesterday and noticed there is just a tiny hint of occasional stutter the N7 shows when you quickly rotate the screen between portrait and landscape whereas the mini has literally zero stutter or delay.
So I decided to make a project out of eliminating it. The closest I could get was to uninstall Zooper widgets and limit my home screen to one clock/weather widget and turn on developer options to lower transition times to 0.5.
It should be noted that ART will mostly close the gap between ios7 and Android on this front on the next version and a regular user isn't even going to notice it let alone care because it's so miniscule. I'm pretty OCD when it comes to UI speeds and transitions.

ART is something I think makes the wait worthwhile. I too am quite OCD when it comes to UI speed.

aokusman

May 17, 2013
Visit site
Will be keeping my 2013 till it breaks. No reason to upgrade as it will keep doing what the newer one does for years to come.

JWG2011

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
I was trying to make this decision not to long ago myself. Like others have said I don't think the next version, when ever it comes out, will be 7". Bigger screen size means higher $$$. Pretty hard to beat this device for $200. I went ahead and bought one and have to say I'm pretty happy with the decision.

MilnerR

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Had mine about 6-7 months and it has performed flawlessly, I've occasionally found myself wanting a new toy, but I can't honestly justify spending money on another 7 or 8 inch tablet when the N7 is doing such a good job. If my current N7 got stolen or smashed, I'd be looking at another one to replace it in all likelihood.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance