Automatic Music Hidden and Otherwise on Nexus 7? (Google Play Music)

Alniter

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
I did a cursory look-through on my File Manager today to see if there were any files I didn't need (music I don't listen to, pix, etc.) and had an amazing find. Hidden in a file folder are tons of songs that I didn't put on my Nexus.

All the albums/songs are tracks that I have uploaded from my destop computer onto my Google Play Music (GPM) account, but I didn't put them on my Nexus, and they don't show on my playlist when I open Google Play Music and choose "downloaded only". If i hadn't done the look-through I'd have never known they were there. If GPM is automatically sending everything I play onto my Nexus hard drive when I play it in GPM, how do I stop it? I can't find a setting to enable or disable automatic downloading in GPM on my desktop.

Also, sometimes when I upload an album into GPM, it automatically puts one or two of the songs onto my Nexus so that if I open GPM on my Nexus in "download only" mode, I see and can play them. If it's downloading them automatically into my Nexus, how come only a couple of songs and not the whole album?

Very strange. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Steve in Florida

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It may just be automatically caching music as it plays. Open Google Play Music, swipe in from the left and tap Settings, then uncheck "Automatically cache" and "Cache during playback." While you're at it, you can tap "Clear Cache," then use the file manager to look at that folder again to see if all of those files cleared out.