The N7 is more innovative than any other tablet.

Davehow

Banned
Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
It has a smart feature built right in that can tell you want your device rebooted, even if you weren't even thinking about it! Even if you're right in the middle of doing something like browsing the web, the N7 has the ability to read your mind, detect that on a subconscious level you want it to restart and interrupts anything you're doing to immediately do that for you. How amazing is that! Other tablet owners are so jealous they try to claim these are random restarts. Lol silly fanboys.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Sorry to hear about your issue. Care to elaborate, or just wanted to vent? Maybe I'm lucky, but my 2013 N7 has been flawless.

Davehow

Banned
Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
Nope, no side loads, no ART, been persistent through every OS update since launch, including a factory reset done each time I updated and dalvik cache wipes having been done in the past.

Not a deal breaker, and I know it's fairly common, but I have yet to see a permanent fix.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I would say it is not fairly common at all.

Are all of your apps up to date?

Does it happen while using (or soon after using) a particular app?

I'm not a believer in such, but have you tried running a virus scanner?

Posted via Android Central App

Davehow

Banned
Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
I would say it is not fairly common at all.

Are all of your apps up to date?

Does it happen while using (or soon after using) a particular app?

I'm not a believer in such, but have you tried running a virus scanner?

Well, a better way to frame it would be to say it's fairly common as far as known issues go, rather than in general.

CDG

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
I am a new N7 user for almost a week but a friend has had one for awhile. Neither of us have experienced any reboots and I didn't even know this was an issue with this device.

Was yours re booting from the very beginning?

Sent from my Nexus 7

Davehow

Banned
Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
I am a new N7 user for almost a week but a friend has had one for awhile. Neither of us have experienced any reboots and I didn't even know this was an issue with this device.

Was yours re booting from the very beginning?

Sent from my Nexus 7
Yup. There's quite a few threads here and on XDA about it, and it's also on Google official support forums a lot. There's never been a confirmed fix, and at this stage likely never will be.

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Nope, no side loads, no ART, been persistent through every OS update since launch, including a factory reset done each time I updated and dalvik cache wipes having been done in the past.

Not a deal breaker, and I know it's fairly common, but I have yet to see a permanent fix.

I don't think it is common. I have never had a unexpected reboot, even when testing apps I have written.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
As a general rule, major operating systems do not have spontaneous reboot issues - or any other issues for that matter.

And your hardware it either bad or it isn't, but no software fix is going to resolve failing hardware.

If you and others are having spontaneous reboot problems, they are almost certainly tied to one or more apps, quite possibly background apps (messaging, Facebook) or utilities (battery savers and the like) .

Reboot the tablet into safe mode and run it that way for a day. Any spontaneous reboots? Delete any background or utility apps and run without them for a week. Any spontaneous reboots?

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
PS: is this a Wi-Fi only tablet, or the LTE model? If it is the LTE model, do you actually have a working SIM card installed?

Just curious...

CDG

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
As I just stated, it's not common in general, but as far as known issues for the n7 goes, random reboots is one of the most commonly reported.
Does it depend on whether its WiFi only or LTE? Just curious.

Sent from my Nexus 7

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I think the point is being missed...

Until you (any user) can show that a fresh-from-the-box device, with no installed apps other than stock operating system updates, exhibits this problem, it is unfair and irresponsible to blame the OS itself. Even then, it becomes necessary to rule out defective hardware.

For anyone who has an LTE device that actually has an installed SIM card, I'd be curious to know what happens if you dial the number associated with the SIM card from another phone while the Nexus 7 is powered on.

My Nexus 7 is the LTE model but I have not yet put a SIM card in it so am unable to test accordingly.

Davehow

Banned
Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
I think the point is being missed...

Until you (any user) can show that a fresh-from-the-box device, with no installed apps other than stock operating system updates, exhibits this problem, it is unfair and irresponsible to blame the OS itself. Even then, it becomes necessary to rule out defective hardware.

For anyone who has an LTE device that actually has an installed SIM card, I'd be curious to know what happens if you dial the number associated with the SIM card from another phone while the Nexus 7 is powered on.

My Nexus 7 is the LTE model but I have not yet put a SIM card in it so am unable to test accordingly.
I think it's kind of moot at this point. There's 2 main defects present on some n7's since launch that still exist today a year later, and have never been rectified. If Google hasn't done so by now, even though they've both been highly documented, recorded, and discussed on the official Google support site, they seem unable to. That's fine, I can live with it for 230 bucks anyway until my next tablet.

bobsacomano

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
It has a smart feature built right in that can tell you want your device rebooted, even if you weren't even thinking about it! Even if you're right in the middle of doing something like browsing the web, the N7 has the ability to read your mind, detect that on a subconscious level you want it to restart and interrupts anything you're doing to immediately do that for you. How amazing is that! Other tablet owners are so jealous they try to claim these are random restarts. Lol silly fanboys.
Not just for tablets, this feature is also found on phones, including both Nexus 4 that I have owned. It has the amazing ability to detect that I should restart immediately after performing a factory reset! Pretty slick.

CDG

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
@N4Newbie,

When I call from my phone to the tablet, it says "the person you are trying to reach is not accepting calls right now. Please try your call again later".

Interesting message for a device that cannot accept calls.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Last edited:

CDG

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
I think it's kind of moot at this point. There's 2 main defects present on some n7's since launch that still exist today a year later, and have never been rectified. If Google hasn't done so by now, even though they've both been highly documented, recorded, and discussed on the official Google support site, they seem unable to. That's fine, I can live with it for 230 bucks anyway until my next tablet.
What is the other defect? I am guessing from the price you posted that yours is the WiFi only version, is that correct?

Not that it matters I am just curious.

Sent from my Nexus 7