Nexus 7 LTE battery life.

CDG

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
So I have had mine for about 10 days and overall very happy with it.

The battery life however is bugging me, I am used to my iPad Air which gets an easy 15-16 hours of usage and 3+ days of stand by.

I am not exactly sure how to compare but if I take the screen on time of the Nexus it is around 8 hours and total off the charger time almost two days. The iPad battery is much higher capacity but that should be offset by the bigger screen.

What type of battery life do most of you get and any particular app/s that you find to be the culprit. Here are the battery stats, can someone tell me what can be improved?

Thanks much. :)

e3a693e957b10882fbaaa2cc724ba99b.jpg
109eaeb16030fc25d7c70c4828e141cb.jpg
9e47184915fc55a3690cdb285fbd7d6d.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 7

CDG

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
So with a device that costs half as much your surprised it performs different?
Yes I am since cost has nothing to do with battery life only the efficiency of the system matters. Trust me on this I am an Electrical Engineer and get paid for maintaining and improving system efficiency.

As far as that goes the Nexus is definitely as efficient as the iPad. As a matter of fact I had the Moto X until recently and the battery life on that was pretty close to that of my 5s. That is a $350 device vs a $750 device.

I am sorry I came in here asking for help and so let's stick to that please.

Thank you

Sent from my Nexus 7

CDG

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
I am guessing you have done 0 research about what your asking before posting. There are mountains of data related to your question that would of given you lots to compare to.
Yes I have and also I am not really new to mobile devices so have tried most of the common culprits. . I was hoping someone with experience of the N7 could give me some pointers from my screen shots
I have been a member here for awhile though don't post much, I do believe the forum has changed for the worst unfortunately.

I will request this thread to be deleted.

Sent from my Nexus 7

scipper77

May 6, 2014
Visit site
WOW! some really snippy banter going on.

Just for the sake of being thorough was the iPad also on a mobile network or was it wifi only?

My Nexus 7 (2013 wifi only) has tremendous idle time, does really well surfing the web but if I decide to play a game for an hour the battery just gets decimated.

Also, this forum has not changed for the worse. I have no idea why you are being attacked for asking a very reasonable question but I am on your side on this one. Personal attacks are just not called for.

CDG

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Thanks finally :)

Yes they are both LTE and both on AT&T. I also tried the Mini retina before I got the Nexus and that seemed to have better battery life than my Air.

Now the Mini was WiFi only so not a proper comparison.

Thanks, for bringing it up, I should have mentioned it.

Sent from my Nexus 7

scipper77

May 6, 2014
Visit site
Thanks finally :)

Yes they are both LTE and both on AT&T. I also tried the Mini retina before I got the Nexus and that seemed to have better battery life than my Air.

Now the Mini was WiFi only so not a proper comparison.

Thanks, for bringing it up, I should have mentioned it.

Sent from my Nexus 7
My only other thought is that it is common for people to experience very poor battery life after taking a system update. From your batters status shots it doesn't look like anything fishy is going on but clearing your Dalvic cache might help (Shouldn't hurt).

CDG

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
My only other thought is that it is common for people to experience very poor battery life after taking a system update. From your batters status shots it doesn't look like anything fishy is going on but clearing your Dalvic cache might help (Shouldn't hurt).
Oh good, I am glad nothing looks fishy. As a matter of fact I got two updates on it as soon as I powered it up, so that could definitely be.

I will give cleaning the Dalvic cache a try.

Thanks very much for all your help. :)

Sent from my Nexus 7

Roger Gibbens

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site
I was going to suggest adjusting the screen brightness to a lower setting to see if that made a difference. Some people like a really bright screen,though.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I don't have any screenshots to post at the moment, but I've been quite happy with the battery life of the N7 (2013, Wi-Fi only). Seems like I get about 4 hours on a CPU/graphics intensive game like XCOM http://market.android.com/details?id=com.tt2kgames.xcomeu and probably 10+ hours reading ebooks (with the screen at minimum brightness).

I'll try to get you some hard data after the next charge cycle.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Ladies and gentlemen, I really hope that I never come into a thread like this with a new member asking for help on their new device being met with trolling, ridicule and just straight up stupidity. Same rules as always: if you don't like a post, ignore it.

CDG

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
I was going to suggest adjusting the screen brightness to a lower setting to see if that made a difference. Some people like a really bright screen,though.
Thanks, I don't need it really bright but do need it a little higher.

My major reason for getting a small tablet was the ease of traveling with it for work. Most if these are construction sites and do not have adequate or dependable power.

Also a reason for my obsession with battery life. Lol

Sent from my Nexus 7

physioprof

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
Charlyee, that looks from your screenshots like very reasonable battery life for the LTE Nexus 7 2013. You are using about 10% per hour with the screen on and about a third to a half percent per hour with the screen off. That is consistent with what others report.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
@charlyee

Please accept our apologies and welcome to the forums. I hope you get some more of the answers you seek.

I have the Nexus 7 (2012) version myself and have had good things to say about the battery life at least for myself. That doesn't mean its the same for everyone and it doesn't take much to cause a severe drop in battery life.

CDG

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Charlyee, that looks from your screenshots like very reasonable battery life for the LTE Nexus 7 2013. You are using about 10% per hour with the screen on and about a third to a half percent per hour with the screen off. That is consistent with what others report.

Thanks, that is really good to know. I will just have to plan to get it charged sooner than waiting until its about to die, yeah I know not good for a Li-Ion battery lol

Fortunately as someone pointed out it charges much faster than the iTablets.

Sent from my Nexus 7

CDG

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
@charlyee

Please accept our apologies and welcome to the forums. I hope you get some more of the answers you seek.

I have the Nexus 7 (2012) version myself and have had good things to say about the battery life at least for myself. That doesn't mean its the same for everyone and it doesn't take much to cause a severe drop in battery life.
Apology not needed, I shouldn't have judged a forum based on one person's confrontational attitude. :)

Thank you so much for the welcome.

Yes all the other posters so far have been extremely helpful and I very much appreciate that and learned quite a few things already.

I do like mine very much, I bought and returned the iPad Mini and the Toshiba Encore 2 before this and am really glad I found what was looking for.

Thanks again for making me feel welcome.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Maybe even consider purchasing one of the many types of portable " juice packs " on the market today. Should give you that extra juice you need to get thru the rest of your day for cheap and they don't take up much space at all..

CDG

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Can't you just plug it in every night before you go to sleep?

While I am at home yes, but not at some of the places we get to stay during construction. I would be worried about setting the place on fire or blowing up my charger. :D The power situation is not safe or dependable in most cases.

Sent from my Nexus 7

crajarv78

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
WiFi was the biggest battery killer for me. If I'm travelling or watching a movie, I always turn wifi off and it will significantly boost battery life. It seems like its always searching for a signal and constantly updating apps.

Posted via Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz