Nexus 7 (2013): Phone calls over WiFi version

anon(55900)

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
I don't know if it is old news or not. I have 2013 WiFi only. Loaded Hang Out, loaded Google Voice, then updated Hang Outs, then downloaded Google Dialer. I was then able to make phone calls to all my contacts on their cell phones or land lines.

I'm frigging impressed.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Phone calls over WiFi version

Yep, tried it myself. Pretty awesome! I wonder if they'll come up with a way to have it show up as something else besides "Unknown" on the receiving end.

anon(55900)

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site

Yep, tried it myself. Pretty awesome! I wonder if they'll come up with a way to have it show up as something else besides "Unknown" on the receiving end.

Maybe if they enter the Google Voice number in their contacts, then it may show?

Posted via the Android Central App

jolphil

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site

Hi, I just tried it and it worked(sort of). The first time it stated something about an account. Second time it placed the call and worked fine.
Is there some place I can read about the features and requirements of the new hangouts?
jolphil

cab2

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site

Interesting, why do they ask for an existing phone #? Can you receive calls from other phones? If so, what # do they dial? How can all that be FREE?

I'm using PhonePower app through my VOIP account, that's another option. You still need internet though, so you can't use it from your car, for example.

Rich215

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site

I tried this.....results were not very good call quality. GrooVeIP works 10x better than this setup. Plus I can receive incoming calls still with the new grooVeIP.

Bigballer

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

I wonder if Sprint/tmobile still do that your real phone number as your google voice number thing

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

It's free within US and Canada. Certain international calls cost money, but I think the rates are pretty good.

tech2d

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
I have the same set up but when I try to make a call it keeps telling me the call times out. I have Google voice and hang out and hang out has been updated. I have also found out that I can receive calls on my Nexus 7 but cannot send them.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Samira