N7 worth getting now?

anon(5384869)

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I've never owned a tablet. I'd really like one. Mostly for Netflix and offline movies while on flights. I really liked the form of the 7, not a big fan of the new 9, just too big. But I'm worried that if I bought a 7 now, that it wouldn't last me at least 2 years. Is that fear founded or should I not worry about it? With big changes coming to Android like 64 bit software, is the N7 hardware robust enough to last me that long?

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

ctl904

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
I just picked one up a few weeks ago and I love it. Form is perfect. My personal opinion about longevity is that as long as you're not the type that absolutely has to have the very latest and greatest for no real specific reason, this thing will last plenty long enough.

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I just bought a used one myself. 64bit or not, this will get Android L and with ART it will run smoothly. Should be no problem for the next 2 years. Just because of lacking 64bit doesn't mean your Android is going to run slow all of the sudden. The latest Nexus 6 device doesn't have a 64bit CPU either.

I would be surprised if it doesn't get Android M too.

anon(5384869)

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I guess I've just never owned a nexus and just worry that in a year from now it will be janky from hardware not being able to keep up. I could just pull the trigger since it's such a good price and enjoy or for as long as I can

ctl904

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
I guess I've just never owned a nexus and just worry that in a year from now it will be janky from hardware not being able to keep up. I could just pull the trigger since it's such a good price and enjoy or for as long as I can

Not sure what you can find if you actually shop around (I didn't) but I'm pretty pleased with what I paid from Best Buy.

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
So I just received the N7. I'm impressed by the dual rear speakers. The performance is good for the price. Android L is working pretty smooth on it. The only thing I don't like about Android L is to much animation, even with them reduced to half speed. Overall a very nice tablet, big improvement over the 2012 version.

sent via tapatalk

Last edited:

thatguy97

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
The 2013 version is mine is still running like a champ still very fast and will get updates fast but as for the 2012 version STAY AWAY

Posted via Nexus 7 2013 or verizon Galaxy S5 or maybe one day through my moto 360

Willy_P

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
My 2013 Nexus 7 is still a great tablet. I rooted it and installed CyanogenMod 11 and was running nightly builds. Last night I unrooted it and installed the stock Android 4.4 ROM in preparation for Android L. Now the only thing that's not stock is the launcher -- I use Apex.

cwm58

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
Got mine yesterday from Amazon. Looks good, feels good and works great. Excellent value, the size is just right, and screen resolution is superb. I'm more than happy to work with this one for the next couple of years!

AG212

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Hows the battery life at this point in time? I was considering the 9 because, even though it has higher demands, I would imagine the much larger battery in it would carry it for a decent amount of time longer.

NexusLion

Oct 22, 2014
Visit site
Not sure what you can find if you actually shop around (I didn't) but I'm pretty pleased with what I paid from Best Buy.

Who on earth is EVER pleased with what they paid at Best Buy? I can't see the attraction to the place. I guess it is where the blue-hairs go to over-pay for everything from TVs to HDMI cables. $49.99 for a $3 cable. Rightttttt.

The one exception was my refurbished samsung chromebook - no one could beat the price for $130.

NexusLion

Oct 22, 2014
Visit site
2013 Nexus 7 is worth getting still, I don't see it slowing down in the near future. Mine is still running like a champ.

It is a champ. Hard to say no to a 32GB LTE version for $199 on Groupon, yet I see people not pulling the trigger. You can't find similar specs for the money. Not even close.

Free LTE via T-Mobile makes it even sweeter.

ohmslaw

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Who on earth is EVER pleased with what they paid at Best Buy? I can't see the attraction to the place. I guess it is where the blue-hairs go to over-pay for everything from TVs to HDMI cables. $49.99 for a $3 cable. Rightttttt.

The one exception was my refurbished samsung chromebook - no one could beat the price for $130.

This blue hair hopes you get a flat tire on your tricycle.

Snake Griffin

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Hows the battery life at this point in time? I was considering the 9 because, even though it has higher demands, I would imagine the much larger battery in it would carry it for a decent amount of time longer.

I actually don't pay much attention to the battery life. I'll charge it even few days. I guess if you use it for some video watching and reading you'll be able to use it most of the day. A resource intensive game might give you 3-4 h of on screen time, less intensive games should give more. I play some games on mine but mostly use it for reading books or browsing the Internet and the battery life is good enough that I don't worry about it.

Posted via Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockpaperreality36