Why am I suddenly getting random characters and window shutdowns using my Bluetooth keyboard?

EdnaCubbard

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
Suddenly getting random characters and window shutdowns using bluetooth keyboard

I am experiencing MAJOR problems with the bluetooth keyboard I use (BG-7) ...after working perfectly for months it suddenly started typing extra characters, e.g. iw instead of just i or w (these started in pairings of wi, aj, and zm but has become progressively worse over time with sometimes whole strings spurting out). Now the space key wont work nor the number four...but it will continue typing the number four over and over again until i switch the keyboard off. There are also other things happening like windows I have open suddenly closing without me touching anything and the document I have open constantly asking me if i want to save it. The onscreen keyboard works fine...just the bluetooth one is the problem...or rather just when bluetooth is switched on as I dont even have to touch the keyboard. It is like the nexus is possessed!!!

I have been reading through various forums and have tried a few things suggested, none of which make any difference.

Run virus scan of tablet using Avast
Switched off wifi and/or switched to frquency of 5 ghz
Installed and used keyboard helper pro (demo version)...this seemed to tame it at first but has now stopped working and the issues continue...if it worked i would be happy to buy!!
Opened in safe mode to see if an app is causing problem..but exactly the same issue
Examining keyboard/under keys to see if any obstruction/dust etc - none
Recharged keyboard completely and determined not due to low battery

The nexus and keyboard are relatively new (both bought in june ...i.e. Four months old). The keyboard and nexus worked perfectly up to last few days. Problem is I am travelling and will be for some time so returning or servicing are not an option. Nexus is not even sold where I am. So I have to fix it myself.

The only idea I have is that system update happened fairly recently and maybe it could be to do with that?? But undoing the last update looks like a pretty tricky procedure so would be loathe to do it without being a reasonable chance this is the problem.

Can anyone help me please?

** also posted to google forum but no response

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Re: Suddenly getting random characters and window shutdowns using bluetooth keyboard

Do you have any other device - e.g., a smartphone - that you can test the keyboard on to verify that it is still good?

But judging from the other other issues you are seeing it sounds like there is some problem with the device. If all else fails, you could try a factory reset, recognizing that it will blow away your data and apps. Can you backup your data to a PC? Your apps can be recovered form the app store. Drastic, yes - but if you're traveling soon then you could easily burn your time trying fruitless other fixes.

EdnaCubbard

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
Re: Suddenly getting random characters and window shutdowns using bluetooth keyboard

Thanks for the replies...sorry to take so long to come back but am already 'on the road' and things have been getting stranger by the day...

Cache wipe didnt work sadly and havent got another bluetooth device or anyone I know to ask to borrow one....so guess i am up for a reset ....BUT...some other things have happened which seem odd to me and maybe part of same issue...would love your thoughts on how to proceed...

Didnt mention this before but someone also got into my facebook account a few weeks ago and posted something...immediately changed password and have shut it down for time being

About 5 days ago i went to enter my email into an online form and autofill came up with an email i had never seen before...by fhe time i had gone through the alphabet there were 11 strange email addresses. I read up about chrome and thought maybe i had left it open on a shared pc somewhere (as i am travelling and only have the nexus i occassionally have to use a pc at an internet cafe...but i do it so rarely i can pretty much name every occassion and loxation for the last 6 months.) as I hadnt realised you had to actually delete your profile each time. So i wrote to one of the random email addresses and explained to the guy whatnhad happened and asked if we could have used the same pc...nearest we could get was he had just been to guatemala and i was there 18 months ago...not very likely. He doesnt see any extra random emails in chrome so am guessing the problem is my end.

I have had avast on the tablet the whole time but have now downloaded 4 others that were recommended in testing... Trustgo, webroot, lookout and antispy mobile...overkill for sure but i really wanted to find something if it was there. Today trustgo informed me that

EdnaCubbard

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site

Urghhhhh!¡!!!!

And now i just lost the second half of this because it didnt auto restore!!!! ??????

Ctd....
There was a trojan in an app..
Trojan!JiFake.A [AT SYMBOL] Android was name of trojan and it was in simple message receiver. It wouldnt let me uninstal it so i disabled it for the time being.

So i spent all day today basicallt researching what can be done but seems some are so clever they give themselves admin priviledges so that when you factory reset the trijen comes with you...and when i saw b diddys reply to another post to make sure this doesnt haopen, i saw that the auto restore line is kind of faded out so i cant uncheck it.

I also saw they try to use bluetooth devices to communicate stuff out..maybe explains the keyboard beserk attack??

I also read lots of this stuff comes from dodgy apps and downloads but i only use google play (not foolproof i know but i am mostly only using the really obvious popular stuff with millions of other downloads..only a few card/memory games as the exception. And i dont illegal download stuff or visit dodgy websites and am super cautious about anything i open. My only 'risky' behaviour is because i am travelling long term and just have the tablet i occassionally have to use public computers and have had the nexus connected maybe 3 times and i also use a pen/finger drive more commonly...which i then attach using OTG connector. And sadly this part of the world is not big on virus protection!!!

It is also a limiting factor with any fix....basically i am always going to have to rely on a public pc of some description if i need something other than the tablet.

So am i just imagining this or have i got a real problem on my hands???? And if so, what do i do???

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Yikes. This is probably beyond just installing and running an antivirus app. One possible fix is to flash the factory image, which I think will wipe the tablet, but you probably have to accept the fact that any data on that tablet is gone. http://forums.androidcentral.com/go...1477-guide-nexus-7-factory-image-restore.html.

More importantly, change your passwords everywhere. Start with your Google account, and start using 2-factor authentication if you aren't already. Then change the passwords to all of your other sensitive accounts, like banks.

Good luck!