What exactly does rooting do?

ruhban

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
I'm thinking of rooting my Nexus 7 but I don't have a huge amount of experience with Android (I'm a BlackBerry user). If this gives me access to additional features I may even do it on my Nexus 9 when I bet it in order to allow me to use Sony's Remote Play.
Thanks for your patience guys; I might be pretty slow!

Posted via Android Central App

kilskev

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
In brief it opens the doors that were locked. Allowing access to the system

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

zhris

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
In the broadest of terms, it's like having Admin access on your computer (or 'root' access for *nix systems). In short, it lets you make all sorts of mistakes that can do very bad things to your phone if you're not careful. ( :

ruhban

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for clearing that up guys. I think I remember reading somewhere that it voids a device's warranty. Is that true?

Posted via Android Central App

zhris

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
It might depending on your carrier, but most roots are reversible, and there's really no reliable way to tell it was ever done.

EDIT: Ignore the carrier part, forgot we were talking about tablets. I'm not sure there are any N7 FHDs still under warranty, the device is a little over 2 years old.

ruhban

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
It's a bit worrying that there's no reliable way to tell if it's been completed. So what if I was to root it, install Remote Play and un-root it. Is that possible?
I meant the warranty on my Nexus 9 - I've preordered one.

Posted via my Z10 using Android Central App