Why am I getting and error message ADB Device Not Found when attempting to Sideload my Android 5?

rhrmn

Nov 13, 2014
Visit site
ADB Device Not Found When Attempting to Sideload Android 5

Hi, I am looking to sideload Android 5 on my Nexus 7 (2013) tablet using the factory image that is now available on the Google developer website. I have developer tools installed on my Windows 8.1 x64 laptop, however whenever I attempt to run the adb sideload command when my device is in fastboot mode I receive a device not found error. I have USB debugging enabled and the Google driver installed for the device, which is listed in the Windows 8.1 device manager as Google Android Composite ADB Interface. Even when I shut down and restart my tablet in fastboot mode it still lists my tablet as Google Android Composite ADB Interface without a yellow exclamation point icon. Has anyone else ran into this issue and found a solution?

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Re: ADB Device Not Found When Attempting to Sideload Android 5

Hi, I am looking to sideload Android 5 on my Nexus 7 (2013) tablet using the factory image that is now available on the Google developer website. I have developer tools installed on my Windows 8.1 x64 laptop, however whenever I attempt to run the adb sideload command when my device is in fastboot mode I receive a device not found error. I have USB debugging enabled and the Google driver installed for the device, which is listed in the Windows 8.1 device manager as Google Android Composite ADB Interface. Even when I shut down and restart my tablet in fastboot mode it still lists my tablet as Google Android Composite ADB Interface without a yellow exclamation point icon. Has anyone else ran into this issue and found a solution?
Uninstall the drivers then reinstall. Go back into fastboot and run the fastboot devices command to see if the device pulls up.

Make sure you cd into the directory with the update package and adb/fastboot. Let us know how it goes.

rhrmn

Nov 13, 2014
Visit site

I have been shift right-clicking the platform-tools folder which contains the unzipped TGZ factory image to open the command prompt on Windows. Does it matter if I cd into the directory or continue to shift right-click into the directory? My gut is telling me no, but I'm not sure how finicky is the process.

I will try again to uninstall and then reinstall the drivers for my tablet. Should I restart my PC and/or tablet after the process?

Last edited:

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Are you using a USB 3.0 port? If so, try a 2.0 port. I have nothing but problems with ADB, Fastboot, and USB 3.0 (even though you are using a 2.0 cable) on Windows. Using a 2.0 port always goes more smoothly for me.

rhrmn

Nov 13, 2014
Visit site

Are you using a USB 3.0 port? If so, try a 2.0 port. I have nothing but problems with ADB, Fastboot, and USB 3.0 (even though you are using a 2.0 cable) on Windows. Using a 2.0 port always goes more smoothly for me.

The laptop I was working on has a few USB 3.0 ports and no USB 2.0 ports. I'll try working on my desktop PC also running Windows 8.1 x64 which has multiple USB 2.0 ports and only one USB 3.0 port.

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

The laptop I was working on has a few USB 3.0 ports and no USB 2.0 ports. I'll try working on my desktop PC also running Windows 8.1 x64 which has multiple USB 2.0 ports and only one USB 3.0 port.
Ya it is worth a shot. My Windows laptop also only has USB 3.0 ports. Prior to recently buying a MacBook Air, I always had to use my wife's laptop, which does have USB 2.0 ports, whenever I wanted to use ADB or Fastboot. You can also put hacked USB drivers on your USB 3.0 only machine to get ADB and Fastboot working properly, but in my experience those drivers caused other USB devices to not work sometimes. In particular, if I have the hacked drivers and plug in my USB hard drive, the machine blue screens. Its a huge pain and one of the main reasons I bought a Mac instead of another Windows machine. Microsoft refuses to fix their USB drivers to resolve this issue. I know it is a small part of their user base that is effected, but it is something important to me.

rhrmn

Nov 13, 2014
Visit site

Well, I tried all of your suggestions and I'm still having an issue with the device showing up when executing the adb devices command. Tried uninstalling, using different ports, using a different cable, still nothing. "Android Composite ADB Interface" is the correct device to choose when installing the driver correct? Windows does not show that as compatible. I am running into error 10 occasionally, with the device no longer showing as Nexus 7 but Android with the yellow exclamation point icon.

thetechaddict

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site

I've run into the exact same problem. I've reinstalled drivers maybe three or four times now, can access ADB when the device is on (not fastboot mode), but when I boot into fastboot mode, nothing works. It's been frustrating me for hours.

I've tried switching between ADB, ADB Composite, and Bootloader interfaces and nothing seems to make this work. It seems that my PC knows my N7 (2013) is connected, but the tablet itself won't communicate with it.

After seeing others with this problem, I think I'll get back to my homework.

MartialText

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site

Having same issue trying to sideload the OTA. All drives and SDK up to date. Prior to rebooting into bootloader, "adb devices" finds my tablet, no problem. However, once I enter the bootloader and/or recovery, I get "device not found".

I've been futzing with it for two hours now. Think I'm just going to bite the bullet and wait for the official OTA.

Chase Lilly

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site

Having same issue trying to sideload the OTA. All drives and SDK up to date. Prior to rebooting into bootloader, "adb devices" finds my tablet, no problem. However, once I enter the bootloader and/or recovery, I get "device not found".

I've been futzing with it for two hours now. Think I'm just going to bite the bullet and wait for the official OTA.

I had this issue on Windows. Looks like it might have been a driver issue. My computer would not install the driver though so I said screw it and used Ubuntu instead. No driver needed with a Linux system. The device not found issue was gone and I got the update

MartialText

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site

I had this issue on Windows. Looks like it might have been a driver issue. My computer would not install the driver though so I said screw it and used Ubuntu instead. No driver needed with a Linux system. The device not found issue was gone and I got the update

That's a bit outside my wheelhouse. I used to dabble much more, but I'm rusty now. I'll just let the OCD take over and continue keep punching "check for update" button.

dhuhtala

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site

I had the same problem. Turned MTP on and then it worked. You're told to turn it off but don't... Its in Settings-Storage-touch the ... Menu top right corner, USB settings and turn ON MTP mode. It worked well for me. I also used the Nexus Root Toolkit - makes things much easier!

rhrmn

Nov 13, 2014
Visit site

Just to let you guys know I successfully sideloaded Android 5 this evening using the OTA zip file. What appeared to do the trick was reinstalling the driver for my Nexus while it was in recovery mode, then my device showed up with the ADB device command and the rest is history. :)

GuavamanX

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site

I too ran into this issue and here's the solution:
Like rhrmn said, reinstall the Android driver while you're in recovery mode. Even though you installed it while the device was booted and it was recognized, now that you're in recovery mode it won't be recognized anymore. And you can't make it automatically find the Android driver in the driver folder-- you have to select it manually.

1) On your Windows desktop, Go to your Control Panel then Device Manager.
2) You should see Android Phone under Other Devices with a Yellow ! mark on it.
3) Right click on it and choose "Update Driver Software"
4) Choose "Browse my computer", then "Let me pick from a list."
5) If you see categories, select "Android Device", then select "Android ADB Interface".
6) The driver will install and you can now run the update with ADB.

Bhawks_2

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
[EDIT: the last post already mentioned my remark below, responded to an earlier post]

Thanks a lot! This worked for me as well. Had to force the driver though, manually select it, because once the device was in recovery mode Windows didn't automatically install the ADB driver anymore

KR
Stefan

anon(1017475)

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

I too ran into this issue and here's the solution:
Like rhrmn said, reinstall the Android driver while you're in recovery mode. Even though you installed it while the device was booted and it was recognized, now that you're in recovery mode it won't be recognized anymore. And you can't make it automatically find the Android driver in the driver folder-- you have to select it manually.

1) On your Windows desktop, Go to your Control Panel then Device Manager.
2) You should see Android Phone under Other Devices with a Yellow ! mark on it.
3) Right click on it and choose "Update Driver Software"
4) Choose "Browse my computer", then "Let me pick from a list."
5) If you see categories, select "Android Device", then select "Android ADB Interface".
6) The driver will install and you can now run the update with ADB.

This worked for me. Thank you.

danchamppk

Feb 8, 2015
Visit site
Sir you are THE KING. Thank you. Advice for completely soft bricked phones (Nexus 4 Mako Windows 8.1 64 bit All USB 3.0 ports): fastboot mode wont show the yellow mark in the device manager, but in recovery mode in TWRP > Advanced > ADB Sideloab you will be able to see it. Do it just like said above, no need to download from Google, Windows 8.1 has them, skip their warning.

Angshu Dutta

Mar 15, 2015
Visit site

please can you help me I am in a major problem I was about to update from cm12 20150314 to cm12 20150315 build...when I flashed cm12 20150315 via twrp recovery...I waited till 15 minutes and nothing happened...there was and error I guess with a red line...it said E :\unable to mount "system"
I don't know what to do now...I'm stuck in a boot logo :( I even factory reseted, and then again I had a backup of cm12 20150314 build...then I restored it back to the previous build...still same problem stuck in a boot logo please can you help me :(

I've fixed it.....now everything's fine again :) I've change the android adb interface in device manager then I copied the previous build to my internal storage and then flashed it via twrp and then again flashed the latest build ( cm12 20150315 ) and then it worked !

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital