On my Nexus 7 (2013), is it possible to connect a USB HD and a card reader simultaneously?

jbaude

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
Nexus 7 (2013) is it possible to connect a USB HD and a card reader simultaneously

I have a Nexus 7 (2013) and I want to avoid having to take a laptop with me on a trip. My problem is that I need to be able to back up my CF cards - this is about 30-60GB at a time. So I was thinking of taking a TB external hard disk and the Nexus 7 with me. I know I can connect the CF card reader to the Nexus copy the data to the Nexus (as much as possible). Then connect the HD to the Nexus and copy the data back to the HD. This is a long process and would require switching the setup multiple times.

Now I was hoping there is a way to connect two USB devices simultaneously to the Nexus device? Basically allowing me to copy the data directly from the Card Reader to the HD.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Re: Nexus 7 (2013) is it possible to connect a USB HD and a card reader simultaneously

I haven't tried this myself, but I suppose you could use a USB-ON-THE-GO cable and connect it to a POWERED USB hub (I'm pretty sure it would have to be a powered hub to handle the load) and then connect the HDD and card reader to the hub.

You'd certainly want to prove this before you head out on the trip.

jbaude

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
Re: Nexus 7 (2013) is it possible to connect a USB HD and a card reader simultaneously

Thank You! I was thinking about this but haven't gotten around to give it a try. Will try shortly and provide an update!

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site

I just tried a powered hub with an OTG cable and plugged in two USB flash drives and couldn't get my N7 to see more than one of them. Tried with Nexus Media Importer and ES File Explorer. This is on 5.0 Lollipop but I seem to recall trying this in the past with KitKat. I had wanted to do exactly what you are trying but could never get it to work. Even tried with a portable router that had a USB input, all to no avail.

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site

I just tried a powered hub with an OTG cable and plugged in two USB flash drives and couldn't get my N7 to see more than one of them. Tried with Nexus Media Importer and ES File Explorer. This is on 5.0 Lollipop but I seem to recall trying this in the past with KitKat. I had wanted to do exactly what you are trying but could never get it to work. Even tried with a portable router that had a USB input, all to no avail.

Update: it appears that this device will what you want - transfer between two storage devices connected to the Nexus 7. In this case, they are connected through a wireless unit:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00INMB23Q?psc=1

I just ordered one and I'll try it out - I want the same capability.

Update 2: I just noticed that the necessary Android app for this device is developed by HooToo and like a similar app I have from HooToo, it is not compatible with Lollipop (I know it is incompatible withART runtime and I think this is the root issue).

Last edited: