Gallery disappeared on Nexus 7 2013

mrsbutterton

Nov 25, 2014
Visit site
Not sure how long ago I noticed this but only really went investigating today as I'm trying to take a screen shot of my tablet. I used to have an icon for Gallery, where I could go look at the photos I've taken with the tablet. It's not there anymore. I've spent the last half hour trying to find these photos - I did briefly, but now I can't remember how I found them. I am NOT a huge tech person, just like the convenience of my tablet. Anybody know why my gallery would disappear?

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Did you update to Lollipop? Gallery is gone in Lollipop, replaced by a single photo app (icon is "Photos"). I personally prefer and use the QuickPic app.

Dave

mrsbutterton

Nov 25, 2014
Visit site
Yes, I did update to Lollipop. I wasn't entirely sure when I noticed that gallery had disappeared so I didn't know if it was a Lollipop change or not. I saw the Photos app but when I selected it I was asked to sign in. Just wanted to check before I proceeded.
Thanks!

mrsbutterton

Nov 25, 2014
Visit site
Maybe I remember now... if I click on sign in, it offers the Google+ terms of service and indicates I am agreeing to allow Google to use my location. Any way around this? I have a problem with broadcasting to the world where I am all the time.

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Maybe I remember now... if I click on sign in, it offers the Google+ terms of service and indicates I am agreeing to allow Google to use my location. Any way around this? I have a problem with broadcasting to the world where I am all the time.

Another reason I like QuickPic.

mrsbutterton

Nov 25, 2014
Visit site
Another reason I like QuickPic.

I see what you mean... I installed QuickPic a bit ago. Very helpful! Now, do you know how I can do a screen shot on the tablet? My users manual indicated I needed to hold the power and volume down button at the same time, but this is not doing anything. Do you know if it changed with Lollipop?

rhea

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
Power+vol down works on my N7 2013 with lollipop. Just did it twice. Maybe hold them a little longer.

FortTech101

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
The name of the app is Photos. That's your new Gallery app. For the location, you can always change your location settings in you device settings.

NexusLogic - Working on his Nexus 7 in the Nexus Lab

Julia Matcham

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Same here...and now it has gone to 3, 2, 1 on screen and then takes the photo ...not exactly spontaneous!
AND how to organise photos is a mystery.
AND I don't even know what Lollipop IS.
Why do they keep making things worse?
Is there some other method of using the camera?

RichardHumph

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
How do I know if I have updated to Lollipop? System settings states Android Version 5.1

Looks as if it has been updated as Gallery was there some months ago but is no longer visible.This Nexus is used by my wife and I seldom use it. It looks as if my son has also used it. When Gallery was there it displayed several folders with pictures my wife has taken on various holidays. Luckily I have backups of many of those photos.

Going from a tip in another post I reactivated Google + Having done that, I am now able to view some of the photos but not all of them. According to PC World the system update will have destroyed the original files but I'm not sure whether that its correct as one set of photos are still there but not the others??

It might help if I explain how I got the photos onto the Nexus in the first place. I copied the files from the camera memory card to my Samsung notebook PC which runs Windows 7. I then connected the Samsung to the Nexus and I was able to view the Nexus file structure on the Samsung. I then created a new folder on the Nexus for eah holiday and pasted the appropriate files into those folders. Not an elegant solution perhaps but it worked at the time!

I cannot now get the Nexus to be recognised by the Samsung so cannot create any new files on the Nexus to replace those which have been lost! On the Nexus, System settings > Storage there is an area (folder?) for Pictures, videos. This holds the files which I can view from Google + but not the other ones which I downloaded some time back

Sorry for the long post! What I would like to know is:

1. On the above info, do you think that the original files I cannot now find have definitely be deleted?

2. The reason the the Nexus cannot now be recognised on the Samsung may be due to the Nexus system upgrade. If so is there anyway I can get the old files back onto the Nexus? If so how?

Many thanks for reading if you have got this far!!

kadon

Aug 16, 2015
Visit site
I am so grateful for this information. It answers my problems with 'gallery' that I asked about here. I had no reply but this is all I need, thank you so much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton