Nexus 7 2014?

jpoulin587

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
How come no one is talking about the Asus ME572 this seems to be the successor to the Nexus 7. I really prefer the 7" form factor so I don't really want the Nexus 9.

You can get this tablet now at Best Buy, but I have not seen an AC review of it. (Unless I missed it.)

Posted via the Android Central App

AG212

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I'm wondering this myself. I saw it mentioned somewhere else and was intrigued, looks like it could be a spiritual successor.

Posted via Android Central App

Matt Perkins1

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
So I bought one of these at BestBuy the other day for $180 - thought I was a STEAL considering the Nexus 7 is currently $200 on Amazon or $150 w/ the Groupon. The camera, button and speaker placement is so similar to the N7 that *most* cases will work - that you slide the device into, not snap on.

But I'm having some issues with it - and I don't know if I'm going to keep it. I have a N7 coming next week from the Groupon deal (I'd planned on sending it back!).

Anyway, there is a discussion on XDA about routing it (works!) but on page 4, someone pointed out that there is a input lag on the display causing issues when typing. I've emailed Asus about it but no reply yet. I hope this is something that can be fixed w/ software - but I'm new to Android (from Apple) so I don't know is this has happened before with other devices.

forum.xda-developers.com/android/help/how-to-root-asus-memo-pad-7-me572c-2014-t2915779/page4

Aliandren

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm very intrigued by this one but IMO it is not worth the plunge without heavy interest from developers. I don't think it will get updates from asus and it would be nice to have a good working custom recovery like twrp/clockwork.

motorcycle_monkey

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
ASUS has a tendency to drop support pretty quickly for updates. May get 1, unlikely 2, definitely not 3. I had a Transformer TF101 a couple years ago, and a co-worker has the 701. Not to mention their terrible customer service if you ever need repairs.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Asus ME572 advantages:
Weight (9.6 oz vs 10.55 oz)
MicroSD slot
Higher MP on front-facing camera (2mp vs 1.2)

Nexus 7 2013 advantages:
Price - often on sale for $150, refurbished as low as $100.
Nexus advantages (updates, popularity for rooting/mods)
NFC
QI
Processor benchmarks higher than the Atom in the ME572

Pretty much every other aspect I could think to look at was a tie between the two. Frankly, unless the microSD slot is a big deal to a buyer, it seems like the Nexus 7 is the better option, even if it is a year older.

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
Asus ME572 advantages:
Weight (9.6 oz vs 10.55 oz)
MicroSD slot
Higher MP on front-facing camera (2mp vs 1.2)

Nexus 7 2013 advantages:
Price - often on sale for $150, refurbished as low as $100.
Nexus advantages (updates, popularity for rooting/mods)
NFC
QI
Processor benchmarks higher than the Atom in the ME572

Pretty much every other aspect I could think to look at was a tie between the two. Frankly, unless the microSD slot is a big deal to a buyer, it seems like the Nexus 7 is the better option, even if it is a year older.

100% absolutely correct!

cpcxgsr

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
After the nexus 7, I'll be weary of purchasing another Asus device. Their QC with the nexus 7 is complete garage. I can't believe Asus was able to shipped out so many defective tablets...

stuman74

Nov 26, 2014
Visit site
I bought the ME572 from BB last week. Spec-wise, seems to be exactly what I need and seems to be better than the Nexus 7 2013. However, I have already had 3 crash/reboots. It also gets a little warm on one side when gaming (my main purpose for this tablet is to plan Clash of Clans across 3 accounts).

I also saw the Groupon for the Nexus 7 2013, but seems like it's a mixed bag on which is better since Asus manufactures both.

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Good to know! Wondering if I should return the Asus to Best Buy.

Frankly, I would. The N7 is still one of the best out there. And I believe it will be supported for a while to come. Too bad there won't be a new one this year. But the current version is still a winner.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC