How do I get my USB to work w/Google Nexus 7 (2013) 32gb tablet?

ozkmtnbear

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site
USB won't work w/Google Nexus 7 (2013) 32gb tablet

After I updated my Google Nexus (2013) 32gb tablet from Kitkat to Jellybean, my usb port on the tablet won't work. I've tried with the original usb cable and 2 new cables, and tried connecting to multiple comuters running Win7 Ultimate 64-bit. Whenever I try to connect the tablet, I get the "device not recognized" notice and have tried every fix I could find to fix a Windows driver problem, which I don't think it is. I am knowledgeable with PC's and Windows, but am unfamiliar with Android OS installations and such and wondered if anyone has any ideas about how to repair the software. I do realize that this could be a hardware problem too. Is it possible to uninstall and then reinstall the android usb drivers as you would on a PC? Everything else works on the tablet but I'm having to email myself files (mostly ebooks) to get them onto the tablet. I thought perhaps the android 5.01 update might fix it but it didn't. Thanks for any help.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: USB won't work w/Google Nexus 7 (2013) 32gb tablet

Welcome to Android Central! I don't have a direct answer for you yet, but I can suggest a temporary workaround. How about transferring files over wi-fi, using an app like AirDroid or Wifi File Explorer?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Just tried my 2013 N7 with 5.0.1 on my Windows 8.1 machine--works fine. Were you only trying to connect to Windows 7 machines? I wonder if it's a compatibility issue with Win7.

ozkmtnbear

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site

I've been using the tablet usb port for nearly a year with no problems, downloading ebooks via usb with Win7 machines. Never had a problem until after the 5.0 update. Thanks for the workarounds but I have been just emailing the files to myself and then downloading via wifi onto the tablet. I'm thinking maybe there's a corrupted android usb driver on the tablet that's preventing Windows from identifying the device? I'd like to fix it if I can. Thanks!

Jon_Doh

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site

I had problems with my USB port also after the upgrade. The device wouldn't charge unless turned off and the computer wouldn't recognize it via Android File Transfer app. A factory reset would solve the problem, but then it would return again. Updating to Android OS 5.01 seemed to have fixed the problem. Until this occurs again, my thought is that it is a Kit Kat issue.

ozkmtnbear

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site

Did a factory reset, still no usb connectivity. Tablet works perfectly except for no usb, and usb not recognized by any computer I try plugging it in to and have tried 3 different usb cables. Tablet charges fine.

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

Just tried my 2013 N7 with 5.0.1 on my Windows 8.1 machine--works fine. Were you only trying to connect to Windows 7 machines? I wonder if it's a compatibility issue with Win7.

I still have W7 on my computer and don't have any such problems.

Posted via the Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz