Should I take a gamble on another Nexus 7?

Silver Idaten

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
I've owned two Nexus 7s now, the first one apparently spontaneously exploded (there's a crash and all of a sudden the tablet is still where it was on the floor but with a giant impact on the screen). The second one shipped with dead pixels.
It sucks that it's Christmas Eve and everything's closed until Friday because I really want this taken care of. Basically, I plan on taking this back to Best Buy and getting a refund. At that point, I'm not sure if it's worth it to take a gamble on another one. I love the tablet and especially the compact size, but I'm sick of these stupid problems
I have the LTE version so it's active on a line that I want to keep, but it's Verizon. Yeah, great. So if I decide not to get another 7, I can't use the LTE on the Shield because Verizon. If I get the Nexus 9, I don't know if it'll work. I'm thinking about just going wi-fi only and using the line for something else, I don't know. Is it worth it to just try another 7?

Last edited by a moderator:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! It's always hard to answer these kinds of questions, because my 2013 Nexus 7 has been essentially flawless--but then again, I see other posts like yours from very unlucky people who have had issues with multiple N7s. Personally, I'd say go for another N7. But if you need another choice, how about the LG G Pad 8.3 LTE on Verizon? That usually gets high marks.

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
I've owned two Nexus 7s now, the first one apparently spontaneously exploded (there's a crash and all of a sudden the tablet is still where it was on the floor but with a giant impact on the screen). The second one shipped with dead pixels.
It sucks that it's Christmas Eve and everything's closed until Friday because I really want this taken care of. Basically, I plan on taking this back to Best Buy and getting a refund. At that point, I'm not sure if it's worth it to take a gamble on another one. I love the tablet and especially the compact size, but I'm sick of these stupid problems
I have the LTE version so it's active on a line that I want to keep, but it's Verizon. Yeah, great. So if I decide not to get another 7, I can't use the LTE on the Shield because Verizon. If I get the Nexus 9, I don't know if it'll work. I'm thinking about just going wi-fi only and using the line for something else, I don't know. Is it worth it to just try another 7?

Just ask yourself one thing... Am I a gambling man? If the answer is yes go for it (I would) IG not then don't. It is easy for me to say though because my 2nd n7 is the one that I have stuck with (first one had terrible light bleed) and it has been great. So I really didn't have to go through too much misery like some people have in order to get a good one.

cpcxgsr

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Just ask yourself one thing... Am I a gambling man?

... didn't have to go through too much misery like some people have in order to get a good one.

For myself, being on the side of having a crappy N7 with that stupid reboot issue, I'd pass on it. Stick with a brand with better reputation(s) and QC. BC Asus definitely isn't very high on my list.

I gave them a shot for a sub $200 tablet. Figured that's the perfect size... But I guess like the old saying goes, you get what you pay for...

Posted via the Android Central App

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
For myself, being on the side of having a crappy N7 with that stupid reboot issue, I'd pass on it. Stick with a brand with better reputation(s) and QC. BC Asus definitely isn't very high on my list.

I gave them a shot for a sub $200 tablet. Figured that's the perfect size... But I guess like the old saying goes, you get what you pay for...

I guess for you luck wasn't on your side.

alt075

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Well I'm on the side of bad luck. Mine won't charge. That is the only issue I had with mine. Other than that it ran bueatifully. I did buy a new battery and am getting ready to install it. I had the extended warranty and two months after it is up this happened. Asus customer service is awful google has been on the phone with me trying to help. They can't do anything else because I did not buy it directly from them. Bummer.

So if putting a new battery in works all will be good. I did however go and buy a new tablet since. I got the Samsung galaxy 10.1. I have had better luck myself with Samsung. If you do get one good luck.

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
Well I'm on the side of bad luck. Mine won't charge. That is the only issue I had with mine. Other than that it ran bueatifully. I did buy a new battery and am getting ready to install it. I had the extended warranty and two months after it is up this happened. Asus customer service is awful google has been on the phone with me trying to help. They can't do anything else because I did not buy it directly from them. Bummer.

So if putting a new battery in works all will be good. I did however go and buy a new tablet since. I got the Samsung galaxy 10.1. I have had better luck myself with Samsung. If you do get one good luck.

Samsung seems to have pretty decent quality control. (Or had in the past at least)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke